Can Tianeptine (Stablon, Coaxil) Improve Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by joe, Sep 6, 2012.

1. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I would be extremely interested in hearing from anyone who has tried Tianeptine? Has it helped or possibly alleviated your tinnitus?

There's some studies and some claims that Tianeptine has demonstrated some crucial benefits for tinnitus sufferers:
      1. "Prevents or reverses stress-associated structural and cellular changes in the brain and normalizes disrupted glutamatergic neurotransmission"
      2. "Has beneficial effects in the amygdala and cortex and can reverse the effects of stress on neuronal and synaptic functioning"
      3. "Capable of reversing stress related neuroplasticity"
      Here's the study Neurobiological and clinical effects of the antidepressant tianeptine

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Interesting information. For a drug used to treat depression, it doesn't seem to be very widely prescribed or used- I wonder why? Stablon is what is called in the USA, I believe.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Yes, I came across it because I was looking for a drug that could reverse the cellular changes due to Glutamate toxicity and possibly repair damage to the neurological pathways.

Looks like it can put right a lot more that's associated with tinnitus.

Only one little snag it soaks up Serotonin :(

4. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      I’m interested in Tianeptine. Currently I’m on Paxil which I plan to taper off of. My doctor suggested Tianeptine. Has anyone experienced any benefits or worsening of tinnitus with this drug?