Can Tinnitus After Ear Syringing/Irrigation Improve?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rust, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (2008 initially) 2015 as I know it today
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initially stress, but noise exposure made it worse
      Hello everybody,

I'm new here.

I have had tinnitus in both ears (worse in my right ear) for about 7 years, it has always been low enough to be manageable. However, I recently had some earwax build up in my left ear, so I had that ear irrigated by the practice nurse at my local GP surgery 3 days ago.

Immediately following the irrigation using the modern electronic irrigation device (which itself did not hurt or feel too loud, but did feel strange), I felt a fullness behind my my ear drum and the ringing in my left ear had increased.

The ringing has not subsided after 3 days, and is now louder that it was in my previous bad (right) ear. I can also feel liquid moving behind my ear drum when I tilt my head (which I have had since soon after the irrigation, too).

It's safe to say I'm pretty anxious and upset by this – I wish I never had my ear syringed in the first place! However, I'm trying to be rational, and telling myself that it must improve. The problem is, that I have now done a lot of reading online about ear syringing/irrigation, and all conversations seem to point to lots of people acquiring tinnitus from irrigation and it not improving.

My question is, do any of you guys know if it is possible for tinnitus to lower in volume and improve in time following ear syringing/irrigation?

I'm finding it hard to understand how this can cause tinnitus to worsen. I was not in pain, It was not painfully loud, and my previous tinnitus is down to loud noise exposure. I had the same left ear perforated from an infection several years ago and that caused no tinnitus at all – surely that would be much more pressure on the eardrum!!?

Many thanks to you all, I highly appreciate your responses.
      Rust

2. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      Mine increased permanently after the ear syringing I had several months ago. Up to then it was the same for many years.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh really, that's a shame. The practice nurse told me it won't cause tinnitus! Very annoying.

May I ask, did it hurt/feel uncomfortable/the procedure go on for too long to give you the worsened tinnitus? I'm ask as I'm trying to figure this all out how it happened to myself (there was not pain, loud noise etc).

Also, could you tell immediately that it had increased?

Thank you

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does anyone else have any information or experience on this for me? I'd appreciate it very much.

It's fair to say that it's really affecting every part of my life at the moment.

5. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      It really is a guessing game for everyone to know if tinnitus will go away or improve for pretty much any etiology.

Do you have any hearing loss? If you don't I guess that puts a little bit more chances on your side.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    6. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      If you really do have liquid behind your ear drum, I'd look into getting that treated. I know fluid in my middle ears have been able to make my tinnitus get very loud. But once it went away, my tinnitus went back to baseline.

As long as you have a real, physical and treatable problem, I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's when everything appears perfect but you still have it that you got something to worry about.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, they did check the ear afterwards, and saw not liquid. It felt like it built up over a few hours afterwards and lasted a few days. Today there feels a lot less liquid, however the ringing still persist.

Yes, you are right. Anxiety definitely plays a big role. Also, my anger at myself for getting my ears syringed and making them worse is a very big part, too. I need to let it go, but it's hard.

Thank you, Nucleo. You're right. And no, it has accompanied no noticeable hearing loss (this if from my own perception, and not a test, mind).

Thanks Matt. I went to the doctors today, and they prescribed me some Sofradex ear drops for a tiny bit of redness I have near my ear drum. The fluid is notably less today too, and I anticipate it will hopefully fully be gone in the next few days. Unfortunately the tinnitus still permits.

I will first finish the week long course of ear drops, and then wait another week or two after then before I make further re-evaluation of things. I guess it's the initial stock of this is what is causing the apprehension, and it will be a tough few weeks, but I will report back.

Thanks all

8. Weswhat

Weswhat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Rust any improvement? I recently went through the same thing. Ear has been ringing louder than ever but has gone down some. I feel fluid in my ear as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello there Weswhat. Well, the fluid completely went, along with any feeling of fullness. The ringing still persists, although annoying I have been able to sleep and live. However, my opposite (right) ear has since gotten much worse due to noise damage from about 15 minutes of a band I saw, despite wearing earplugs! The ringing from the syringing is now overshadowed by the new ringing in the opposite ear, bringing a whole new battle/wait/habituation road ahead if me. Now, just having the ringing from the syringing seems but a dream. Funny what perspective brings! I'm glad to hear that yours has improved, that's a very positive sign, and may keep slowly improving. Take care and let us know how you go.
      Rust

10. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Practice makes (not so) perfect it would seem.

11. Weswhat

Weswhat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Damn sorry to hear man. I've pretty much lost hope in all of this. Hoping once the fluid is gone my T will go back to normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Matt9

Matt9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did that spike eventually subside?

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2019 - mild, 03/2021 - the real shit
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something that cannot be identified by 21st century tech
      Yes, only a bit though, assuming you have a lot of earwax inside. Technically, the tinnitus stays the same but because you will hear better, it will fade and it will feel more silent when in not totally quiet places. It is the same principle like hearing aids for tinnitus "masking" by amplification. However, it needs to be really impacted by the wax to see the difference. When I had mild tinnitus, I did see it helpful a bit.