Can Tinnitus Be Measured?

Discussion in 'Support' started by issam, Aug 19, 2018.

1. issam

issam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      load voice
      Hello,

Is there any way to measure the volume of the tinnitus in our heads? Not the tone, I mean the volume as in dB for example.

I am a developer of applications and I made some applications to measure the hearing lose and tinnitus describer but I am looking to make an application to measure the volume of the tinnitus, Any thoughts please?

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Maybe. There's so much going on with perception and the sufferer's knowledge about things like pitch and amplitude, that the end result is very subjective because at the end of the day, it all has to be described with words by each individual sufferer. The best bet would be for the person with T to know how to program synthesizers and create the sound of their tinnitus with a synthesizer and overlay it with natural sounds. Plus there's so many types of tinnitus characteristics. I'd say this would be a hard thing to do. There's just not an audio-out jack for our brains. I could be ignorant of other techniques, this is obviously just my opinion.

Better answer to the question is: Objectively, maybe, maybe not, probably not. Subjectively yes. But what kind of scientific measure is subjective? Maybe with fMRI. This all just shows the piss poor state of science regarding not just tinnitus, but the human brain/mind.

3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      There is no way to personally measure tinnitus but research has shown physical evidence of hyperactive parts of the brain and brain changes after hearing loss. No one knows what the brain is trying to do by generating tinnitus for sure do but it's doing something.
      upload_2018-8-9_14-4-44-png-png.png

More info here
      http://www.pnas.org/content/108/18/7601

"The Neural Bases and Neuroengineering of...

(somewhere in Shore's video it physical evidence of tinnitus I believe )

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      issam

issam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      load voice
      Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Honestly I made a simple application to measure the tinnitus in our head according to my simple understanding of the subject, I named it Tinnitus Measurement Application, but it was rejected by Google Play on the reason that there is no basis for the examination.

According to my imagination I built the application upon three stages: First check the pure frequencies just like the PTA test because I think the situation of that test is very much related to this thing, the second stage Is to find the type or the tone of tinnitus in the test subject and the third stage is to set the appropriate loudness level of tinnitus in the test subject's ear, so the final result appears in this form, my situation for example:

1b592a1b-51e8-4a06-b788-6c1993b3112b.jpg