Can Tinnitus Change to a Better, More Tolerable Tone Over Time?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stanlex, Apr 25, 2021.

?

Has your tinnitus tone from onset changed to a better, more tolerable tone over time?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2019 - mild, 03/2021 - the real shit
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something that cannot be identified by 21st century tech
      I have multiple sounds along with some reactive tones.

I'm 7 weeks in and none of the tones decreased by single bit, and I'm already trying to deal with the fact that it might stay there until a cure is found.

It sucks but I feel that I'm able to tolerate majority of the sounds, again, till the cure is found. I'm just 19 so I really hope I will hear silence in my later life (of course not by going deaf). And I also hope it won't take more than ten years, till we all get the ultimate relief.

But there is one pseudo-tone I feel I will never get used to. Because it is not only very loud and super intrusive, it is so high pitched I hear it almost everywhere, because almost nothing can mask it. And it is not static, but rather it is randomly firing awful noises every few seconds. And it is physical. I can feel that I have it, even when I don't actually hear it, therefore I am aware of it most of the time. And it is super nasty, it sounds and feels a bit like grinding blackboard with chalk.

Sometimes I think that if I got rid just of this one particular tone, it would solve 99% of my life problems.

Of course, even the thought of having the volume of this tone decreased is amazing but sadly, life doesn't always give us what we want. Which sucks because now I'm really depressed not just because of having tinnitus, but rather the fact that it is not getting any better! If I got a tiny bit of improvement, I would be crying out of joy that something is actually happening and I'm actually going forward, but I'm not. :(

But I still think about my future. It cannot go that way. The tone is so aggressive that I feel like I get constant electrocutes to my brain. I'm really curious if any of you has experienced a change of awful tone to something more acceptable, that doesn't make your head hurt when you hear it.

I look at my tinnitus as a sharp stone that has been recently thrown into a river. The question is, will it eventually turn into a pebble?

What are your experience on this? Has your tinnitus changed to something more "soothing" to your ears over time?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      First off - I love the way you already seem to have embraced/accepted some of your tinnitus sounds and at such a young age. You are setting yourself up for at least being able to live with them until a cure comes.

That said: You are only 7 weeks in, so yes, there is a big chance some of your sounds will subside naturally.

1) There has been numerous research that shows natural improvement over time is a thing.
      2) VERY IMPORTANT: keep in mind that the absolute VAST majority of people that have seen their tinnitus improve are NOT on this forum (or they already left because their tinnitus improved) > your poll is in that sense giving very skewed results.

Keep on having such a powerful stance and you'll get there.

• Agree Agree x 4
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stanlex
      Wtf

Stanlex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2019 - mild, 03/2021 - the real shit
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Something that cannot be identified by 21st century tech
      Thank you for positive feedback. I really hope it will stabilize until September, when my new semester starts. For now, I just started taking Vinpocetine and I pray to God that it will help me. When I first got tinnitus two years ago (it wasn't that much debilitating, I was just worried by that, therefore I don't even consider it as real tinnitus and I write that I am only 7 weeks in), I think it ended fading into almost nothing after I started taking Ginkgo. But it took a while. But I'm sure that helped, I even remember myself saying to my grandpa that this helped me and it will surely help you as well :).

However, when I stopped taking it, because I didn't find tinnitus an issue anymore, I think it gradually started to worsen again. But I didn't care, because I was habituated.

What really amazes me is the cause why I have tinnitus. My doctor said she doubts it is noise induced, because I have no long term noise exposure history. But I have had problems with thick blood, I even got a mini-stroke last year. Therefore I suspect mine is from blood stream issues, which I hope so because it would mean that these supplements could help me which I hope so much.

But regardless the cause I hope it will fade to some normal level, where it is possible to live, learn, and so on. And I am also thankful to God that despite tinnitus, I'm able to sleep, even when it is not so deep as it used to be before but still it is.

And I also hope that the dysacusis/reactiveness will also fade because many people here say that after few months their tinnitus stopped being reactive and turned to be regular tinnitus. I even chatted with some boy who had exactly same dysacusis symptoms and he said that after 2 months it started to slowly dissipate to non-existence :) So there is definitely a hope that next year I will be normal again. Or at least normal enough to live without being bothered by tinnitus.

Now, when it comes to what you said that majority of people for whom it has improved don't attend this anymore site I totally understand that. You know, when I first got tinnitus, I was firstly worried but as time has gone, it was fading and I stopped thinking about it. Then I totally forgot about it. So it wasn't like one magical day I woke up and was like OMG I have no tinnitus I must go to Tinnitus Talk and write a success story. Instead, it was very slow way and I got different problems, for example this brain stroke issue which was far more scary and I focused at it much more and totally forgot about tinnitus.

So the thing about tinnitus is that man never gets that feeling he is "cured". Maybe only when after few years since onset someone reminds him tinnitus and then he realizes that Wow, my tinnitus has gotten better since.

It is so gradual that people don't even know when it stopped bothering them and they moved on and they forget about tinnitus and Tinnitus Talk.