Can Tinnitus Go Away by Itself After Months?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ifilip, Nov 27, 2016.

1. ifilip

ifilip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound
      Is it possible that tinnitus will go away by itself after few months or so? Has this happened to anyone?

I'm asking about the cases when tinnitus disappeared without clear reason (e.g. not due to medication or other treatment) but just by itself.

I'm asking this because in medical tests there are almost always small % of people who use placebo medication, but still get cured. So I wonder does this happen often in real life?

2. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      It can happen, yeah. Sometimes it even goes away after many years, although this is rare.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      Definitely. Just a matter of luck. I know someone who has severe hearing loss and she doesn't have it. But did have it once and it went away after a few months.
      A few months ago, at work she had sudden hearing loss in one ear. And I urged her to go to ER/UC and get Prednisone. She said her husband had that happen once and his came back. And that he told her, hers would come back to. I told her, some people recover spontaneously from SSNHL, but not everyone. And the longer you wait, the less chance you have. She put it off and she was very lucky that it came back. She didn't have T either afterwards.

Her husband on the otherhand, has (subjectively) severe T from working in the military on a ship deck with planes/jets.

I have another co-worker who's sister had T that randomly went away after a year or two. ( I forget which.)

I recently saw a post on the internet about a woman who was kissed on the ear and it caused hearing loss and T. The T resolved after a year apparently.

4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I know a girl personally that had it when younger, then it went away, only to reemerge later in life due to accident and she still has it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I too have seen gradual improvements over the past 18 months. If I think in terms of weeks, then really, I can't see any difference and I find it pretty depressing, but if I think in blocks of 3 months, then it definitely has improved significantly. The perceived amplitude is lower, the amount of time it is totally absent has increased and the time I spend without noticing it is longer - all this on the backdrop of some extremely stressful times recently, so it definitely can improve.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Tyler Montgomery
      Spaced

Tyler Montgomery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum from hard blow to the head.
      From everything I have read, it seems that after 6-8 months there is very, very little chance that it will go away on it's own. The day that you accept that it's not going to go away, is the day that you begin habituation. Every day that you monitor the tinnitus and try to determine if it's louder or softer than the day before, is a waste.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Emelie

Emelie Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (stress, tooth infection, medication, TMJ?)
      It's possible. My tinnitus went away after 7 months (11 years ago). Unfortunately it's back due to an tooth infection...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      The short answer is: Yes it can. Beyond that, who knows.