Can Using a Headset for Video Conferences Make Hyperacusis Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sevv, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance.

After my last setback half a year ago, I started experiencing pain when exposed to loud and/or high frequency noise. The burning pain lasts usually a couple days, in severe cases a week (doesn't happen often). The worst I've been exposed to was an overly loud sound from speakers as a dude had just turned on his mic and hadn't yet set the volume (thankfully it was short-lived). It felt like 100 dB and I was left with pain for over a week. No setback amazingly, as my setback half a year ago was also caused by a loud announcement from speakers, but was far longer (ear protection didn't save me).
      I am still sensitive to anything that has bad audio quality (like speakers). If the volume is low, I can tolerate it mostly fine, though it makes understanding a bit difficult. If a bit louder, it will eventually cause the usual burning ear pain.

I might have to attend to a video conference this year and I am expected to use a headset (I'll try to push for standard speakers with a volume control). I personally think there is a certain risk from sound interference (although it seems unlikely when others are using headsets) or sudden loud noises like sneezing.

It's not something I'll have to do often, it's actually just because of the pandemic, otherwise there would be a normal meeting.

So, any advice on the risk of using a headset for a video conference?

Thanks for the help.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have noise induced tinnitus. I have written many posts on the potential risks, a person is taking when using headphones, earbuds or headset even at low volumes, with this type of tinnitus. Since you also have hyperacusis, the risk is increased. These posts can be accessed on my Started threads. Some people with noise induced tinnitus use the devices mentioned without any problems. It is your decision. Please click on the link below and read my post: Will my tinnitus get worse? You might find it helpful.

Michael

Will My Tinnitus Get Worse? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

• Like Like x 1