Can You Work with Pulsatile Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taneisha, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Taneisha

Taneisha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 14,2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My job closed due to COVID-19 in early March, and my pulsatile tinnitus started early August.

I haven't had issues with work because COVID-19 has been keeping my job closed.

But next month they're considering reopening the job. I'm concerned my new sounds will disturb my work.

Does anyone else work while dealing with pulsatile tinnitus? Or should I get a doctor's note from my doctor stating I have a disorder and can't work at the moment?

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I returned to work (midwife) after a significant relapse in my tnnitus recently.

Best thing I did. Beats the hell out of sitting around ruminating on it.

A close friend of mine has pulsatile tinnitus, alongside musical hallucinations, and a myriad of other sounds. She is also a midwife, working full time as a COVID-19 contact tracer.

Go back to work (IMHO), and get your confidence back.

• Agree Agree x 5
    3. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Have you made any progress on having it diagnosed and treated?

Regarding the initial question, I don't think any doctor would sign off on that, as it's not disabling.

4. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Like the others said, working and keeping busy will help you filter out the noise. It should make you feel better. Hopefully your doctor can help with your symptoms, but I wouldn't ask for a note to stay home.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taneisha

Taneisha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 14,2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you! I do often feel better when I’m outside rather than sitting at home hearing everything! Hopefully this’ll be the productiveness I need!

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taneisha

Taneisha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 14,2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They are guessing it’s Intracranial hypertension and I have about three more test they’re trying to do on me, then I can hopefully get a stent placed! I’m currently on Diamox pills for my Papilledema so I’ll push for a note that’ll allow more bathroom time.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taneisha

Taneisha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 14,2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks. I’ll return to work and hope it’ll filter out the noise. I also work as a barista with loads of machines running. I’m hoping that’ll tune out the pulsatile tinnitus rather than affects it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      My doctor suspected benign intracranial hypertension years ago during a workup for chronic headache. Turned out to be cervicogenic in origin, with a borderline lumbar puncture result. Have they done a diagnostic lumbar puncture yet? I hope you get some definitive answers.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taneisha

Taneisha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 14,2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I get my lumbar puncture results back on the 30th of this month. Hopefully I get a better or final diagnosis.

Best wishes on your journey.

• Hug Hug x 1