Cancer Doctor Told My Sister to Only Do 4 Out of 6 Chemotherapy Sessions Because of Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Mathew Gould, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      My sister is is 31 and had Stage 1B breast cancer, double mastectomy and lymph nodes removed. She is finishing up her 4th out of 6 scheduled chemo sessions this week and her cancer doctor told her to stop after the 4th chemo session because of the coronavirus. Her immune system is compromised...

Anyone heard of this happening lately with coronavirus?

• Hug Hug x 8
    2. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I'm so sorry to hear that. I likely have an autoimmune disease (the cause of my ear problems) so I'm in the process of trying drugs and getting tests to justify those drugs. After COVID-19, it doesn't look like I'll be trying prednisone and methotrexate anytime soon. In many ways, I am fortunate, as I would assume this whole thing is a nightmare for people on immunosuppressants long-term.

Your sister is a strong person, and way too young to be that strong.

3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      The oncologist will continue to monitor her CD4 cells. They are a type of lymphocyte (white blood cell). They are an important part of the immune system.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      But should she have stopped after 4 out of 6 chemo treatments?

5. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Go to Investor Village - which is a stock message board. Look for EXEL #20 under active boards. After clicking on EXEL, then go to previous page and you will see the ID names of - wilderguide, JoeFlow, enabler and duckduffer. These guys will answer your oncology questions - they are oncology experts. There are also others with 2 or 3 medical degrees in oncology. They will also see your message questions. They are all friendly.

Up to four years ago, I had many medical and chit chat discussions with these members. If I can locate my sign in information I will talk to them if you wish. These guys are mostly oncology researchers or immune system researchers. Some are retired.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Yes please talk to them for me. Thanks

7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      She could consider low dose naltrexone and CBD.

8. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can understand the doctors' concern. I was taking a chemotherapy pill for about year or so about 8 or so years ago due to a lupus flare-up (forgot the name of the pill). Anyway, I stopped because I got enlarged lymph nodes around my neck. It was then the doctors told me that because I was taking this pill, I was susceptible to all types of stuff such as TB and other infectious diseases and lymphoma (I got a lymph node biopsied and it was fine, but they are still enlarged and it is a mystery).

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      She went there today and they didn't give her chemo because her immune system was so low, at like 100, so she did 3 chemo sessions... I guess she is done with chemo basically because her immune system is low and I guess her stopping chemo hasn't got much to do with the virus, just her immune system.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mathew Gould
      I talked to two. The grade of the tumor (a marker classification of how likely a tumor will grow based on the cell characteristics) would be considered by her oncologist. Also I mentioned above, and was told that her CD4 cells a type of lymphocyte (white blood cell) would most likely be stable as to reason of her doctor delaying. With breast cancer - stage 1, after 4 chemo treatments is enough to marker and so he feels that a delay of 4 weeks or discontinue is warranted.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...us-outbreak-canceled-appointments/2897880001/

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/avoiding-coronavirus-with-a-low-immune-system/

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/c...avirus-what-cancer-patients-need-to-know.html

https://www.cancerhealth.com/article/people-with-cancer-coronavirus

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/0...-your-covid-19-and-coronavirus-questions.html

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Thanks a lot, she didn't do her final treatment today becausw her immune system is very low. I think they stopped the chemo because of her immune system, not the virus.

12. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My mother is a breast cancer survivor. I remember indeed that you need a certain white blood cell count to be able to receive a new dose of chemo. That said, it's not the best time to be going through this as the hospitals are so overburdened. I wish you and your sister well.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Overdose on vitamin C and other vitamins. Do a web search on boosting the immune system (naturally) and natural methods to fight cancer.

It can only help.

• Like Like x 1