Cannot Hear the Noise Produced by the Original TRT Devices, Can I Use Hearing Aids' White Noise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by cowdodge, May 12, 2015.

1. cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      This is a very logical question and and should be easy to answer. I have high frequency hearing loss and have an old set of TRT devices and notice now with my hearing loss I can no longer hear the slight wispering sound that the TRT device produces. My Zen hearing aids have a white noise and I can hear the noise that it produces and it only seems natural that if one cannot hear the noise produced by the original devices that I should use my Zens for my TRT program. Really need some input on this situation. Jon

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Great. I am terrific at very logical questions that should be easy to answer. It's the tough ones that I have trouble with. But an easy question? Fire away!

I'm with you so far. Old devices that you can no longer hear. Go ahead.

Excellent question. Just so we're all the same page here, what did your TRT clinician say when you asked him or her?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      In her opion that of the brain cannot hear a noise at a certain frequency how could it retrain itself? Seem logical and forth comming. I do not know if you know the features of the Zen winded hearing aids but they produce the zen sounds at two different levels and a separate selections of white noise at different levels. Now the TRT wing device has a knob control on it for loudness but like I stated on the first of this tread no matter how loud I play I still cannot hear it. So what good would that device be if my hearing sensors could not begin to recognize slight wispering of the TRT device.

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dr. Nagler I was wondering also did you use BIO feedback to help keep your anxity levels down while working out your problem with your situation?

5. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Didn't use biofeedback; just TRT. But it was real TRT; not "TRT Lite" or some imitation TRT.

One more question so I can better answer yours. From your postings it sounds like if you didn't have tinnitus, you'd still need hearing aids for communication. Is that right?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes I have a hearing loss due to working in shipyards. I can hear speech but not well. TV has't to be turn up when not having my hearing aids on. I noticed this more so when one of my sons stated to me turn down the TV! Now my hearing aids serve two purposes one the zen noise or white noise and communications. Going to take bio feed back to help calm my nerves. My adiololgist has t's and used the bio feedback to help her with her condition. Oh by the way she has a doctorate degree in audiology.

7. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      My audiologist has a doctoral degree in audiology too. But she really doesn't know much about TRT. Fortunately, I do!

Anyway, assuming your audiologist has instituted a Category 2 protocol, your Widex units should be fine for TRT. But I would totally stay away from the fractal tones.

All the best -

stephen nagler

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cowdodge
      Grumpy

cowdodge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks!