Cannot Hear Tinnitus with In-Ear Noise Cancelling Bose QC20

Discussion in 'Support' started by rmnkby, Aug 15, 2019.

1. rmnkby

rmnkby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec-12, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hello,

I have had mild, high frequency tinnitus for about 8 months.
      I'm really confused by how I perceive it differently with two different kinds of noise cancelling devices. I have both in-ear and over-the-ear noise cancelling Bose headphones.

When I use the over-the-ear one (QC-35) I hear my ringing very loudly, similar to when I plug my ears with foam earplugs, which is expected and normal.

Here's the weird part: When I use the in-ear Bose (QC-20) in a quiet room with no music on, I hear no ringing! The earphone generates a very very low hissing sound (very different tone than my tinnitus), and that is all I hear. But the hissing is not nearly enough to block my tinnitus.

Let me clarify with an example: Let's say normally (wearing nothing on my ears) I hear my tinnitus whenever the background noise in a room is under 40dB.
      With the QC20, there's absolutely no background noise from outside since it is cancelling the already quiet background, and the hissing it generates is 20dB, which is way lower than 40 dB - the minimum noise required to block my tinnitus. And in this condition, I do not hear my tinnitus, even if I really try to focus.

I am wondering why the in-ear Bose QC20 creates such a different experience compared to the QC35, or the earplugs, or just being in a silent room. Has anyone else experienced this with the QC20?

Thanks!

2. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      I have the Widex White Noise/Amplification Hearing Aids.

When from a remote I program the maximum amplification and put on sound blocking headphones (the simple kind used at the gun range), my tinnitus is almost completely eliminated.

This has become my standard usage, especially in quiet environments like the library.

After having had this for 5 years and 8 months, I don't care if this makes me look like the

World's Biggest Dork - the end certainly justify the means.

• Like Like x 1
    3. lcj

lcj Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      @rmnkby and @DaveFromChicago Curious how loud is your t (do you hear it over tv/driving etc) and is it high or low frequency? Any hearing loss?

Very encouraging and glad to hear people find something that works for them:)