Can't Cope

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gavs, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      I got engaged then fell into depression. already had disc bulge in back. Was managing with work and gym. Once depression came wiped out back. Ended up on Meds overseas and on return journey had flu and now have high frequency hearing loss. Now have pulsatile in my left and high pitch buzzing in right. No job bad health but most concerning is the tinituses. Just turned 40 and it's been 4 months with tinituses and still can't cope daily. Please tell me life gets better?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Gavs,
      Depression and anxiety and stresses can bring on tinnitus and also the flu cause it too.

Depression is treatable with medication and best backed up with talking therapy to try to address the cause .

Defiantly get your ears checked out to see if they have wax build up or inflammation and hearing checked out.
      Your ears are the last to heal after a cold or flu virus and even when feel better it can take weeks for your ears settle.
      Another reason could be your anti depressants and might need to try another one.

Your tinnitus over time won't seem as bad as your brain learns to filter out tinnitus and not see it as a threat.
      Get your ears checked out and let us know how you go on and a hearing test too.

Have a read around the boards and read the positive posts too and will help give you hope that your tinnitus will get better also......lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Glynis,
      I stopped meds 2 wks ago. I went to ent and tinitus clinic in london. Had mri and have been diagnosed with asymmetric sensorineural high frequency hearing loss.
      I may need hearing aids and cbt. It's unbearable that I can't cope with anything or be sociable with friends and family

4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Using a hearing aid has been known to definitely help people with tinnitus.

Don't worry if you aren't up to being sociable yet. That will happen in time. Just take care of yourself for now. Read the Success stories and you'll see that many of us have been in your shoes.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wearing hearing aids at 40 make me feel like I am being punished. I already have spine and macula issue with right eye. The last few years have made me feel like I can't cope anymore or enjoy life. Thanks Chetan!

6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Gavs,
      I'm. 50 and wear duel purpose hearing aids that have a white noise setting also and if ther is no sound to amplify I have the option to use white noise.
      They have been a blessing to me since I started with sever Bilateral tinnitus.......lots of love glynis

they hide under my hair so can't be seen but it wouldn't bother me if people could see them

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I sleep early you get away from tinituses. I wake up and pray for night time to arrive so I can sleep and have peace. All day I ring psychics since I'm too depressed to talk to friends. I don't watch TV or listen to music because it's painful and reminds me of last year when life was good. I ring psychic for miracles but I know this is with me now and I can't accept it. I'm in denial after 4 months still. I'm scared about the future.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      None of my friends or family understand what I'm going through and I cry on a daily basis. I wish I could turn back the clock. I am not the strong confident good looking guy from last year and the hearing loss makes me feel even more vulnerable. I self destructed through depression and now I feel like a failure and this is all my fault and could have been prevented. Will I ever find a woman to marry and have kids with now with all my health issues and wearing hearing aids. :-(

9. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Gavs,
      Depression is hard to cope with but counselling and medication can help.
      I had depression for quite a while as could not cope with the three health issues I have and hard get through each day and hard for the family too.

Happy to say I'm the happiest ever and stronger but my health issues are sever and under the hospital sever asthma unit and have Menieres too.

I learnt how to push really hard to find enjoyment in my life and how do deal with down times and fill my life full of the best things and make plans and adapt plans or put back plans till well enough.
      I Have a lovely family and great medical support .

Life will get better in time but depression needs addressing to help you deal with health issues in a more positive way and learn to be happy again and you will in time ......lots of love glynis

10. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I totally understand how you are feeling and the tears and how people don't understand.

We all do on here and here for you round the clock. For support and make a few friend too and not on your own no more........lots of love glynis

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Glynis,
      I need to get strong since I've had depression snd anxiety since last june. I started but keep stopping meds since I'm scared of side effects. I am ready to fight and be positive but it's hard.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Glynis
      I really feel like I'm not alone right now and will sleep in peace knowing there are those like yourself who understand.

13. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I understand a little about you might be self conscience about hearing aids but don't worry about how hearing aids look. They make some small ones and if you have your hair go down a little bit over your ear most people don't even notice. If they do, don't worry about it. I have worn them for almost 2 and half years and I even told people about them before hand. Most thought they were pretty cool due to all the features. Also, the ones I didn't tell -- most of them don't even notice I have them. I would say your best bet is to go get your hearing checked and try a pair to see how they help. Get some with maskers so that if things get real annoying you can turn the masker on.

14. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Also, if it gets really bad, install some fountains in the different rooms where you live. Running water usually does a good job at masking tinnitus. Just make sure the fountains produce enough sound for you. Ideally, once you can get the "fight or flight" "or "panic" response down for your tinnitus, your brain won't focus on it so much and hopefully the loudness will go down.

15. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I would get back on meds and counselling and help for Anxiety for the first two weeks to help anxiety settle starting antidepressant.

Depression can strip away your confidence and you feel a failure but this is where the counselling helps you to regain your confidence and selfesteem........
      I know with help you will get through this bad patch in your life .
      I liked talking therapy and the positives in the day soon came back.
      I wound not get on a bus or go town on my own and lost my way in life and I'm the happiest person ever now and my health problems I can not control won't take away all the fun in life as im totally in control over what makes me happy.....
      You will get their I promise .....lots of love glynis

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Jason P.
      I appreciate your advice. I have to come to terms with my hearing loss and tinituses. I just wish the tinitus clinic in london don't take advantage of me. They are saying they will give me xino 70 and cbt tor 3k.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Glynis I will do therapy but I don't like the meds and last time they gave me prozac, I tried citalopram and clonazopram. I tried mirtazapine. I just had adverse reactions to all of them. I will continue with therapy and once this noise settled down or dissspear I will be happy.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. daniel1111
      Shitfaced

daniel1111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, repeated exposure with loud headphones.
      Hi @Gavs

Reading your first post, it's really the depression. Depression makes you see nothing positive in life and you only see all these problems and the future with these problems. I had it only once in my life, and that was because of tinnitus. Never really understood the condition until then.

I am doing much better now, actually it's almost a complete opposite. I can only see positives and those negative things I was thinking are like some long forgotten joke now. It's all in the mind, you have reasons to be happy I'm sure but you can't see them now.

I'm not an expert at dealing with depression or what to do, but talking to people, keeping active and busy seem to work well. I'm sure others can give you more clear advice on what to do about depression but I just think life can and does get better, I'm sure it can and will for you. Be positive if you can.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Daniel,
      Your words are encouraging. My life has changed and I realise that I can't change what's happened and need to look forward. I still have my parents and friends. I will in time accept that I will have to adapt to these conditions and try and enjoy life.

20. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Don't wallow in grief. Tinnitus is nothing compared to real hearing loss.

Do you have hearing loss? that is bad. Tinnitus is just an annoyance.

i have it right now and trust me it's a lot better than losing 50% of your hearing in one ear. would choose ANYDAY over hearing loss.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gavs

Gavs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have high frequency hearing loss in both ears