Can't Pop My Ears

Discussion in 'Support' started by Samantha R, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi All,

So I am looking for some advice / similar experiences.

I have had a head cold for around a week, and 4 days ago, I noticed I couldn’t open my left Eustachian tube.
      Today the right one won’t open either.

I am not feeling pressure as such and no discomfort, but my tubes normally open all the time (to the point of being annoying) - when I swallow,
      yawn, do the valsalva maneuver, never have trouble equalising them on planes.

I nearly blew my ear drum out trying the valsalva the other night, and if I do get some popping, it actually causes pressure and I need to open the tube desperately for relief.

Anyway, I thought I had fluid in the middle ear but the doc says no, put me on 50mg prednisolone for 5 days in case it’s swelling from the cold / allergies.

I noticed before all this, slight full feelings on and off in each ear, and my right ear felt at times as if something was crawling around the outside, it would get tingly and the tingling would refer to my cheek. Felt like fluid in there too, but not all the time.

My hearing is fine and my tinnitus unchanged.

I’ve tried decongestants, nasal spray, steam inhalation and tomorrow morning I’ll start the prednisolone.

I’ve also ordered the EarPopper.

Anyone experienced similar? Everything I’ve found online says people are feeling pressure but can’t equalise their ears, but I am not experiencing any pressure. Weird.

@brownbear do you know what might be going on here? Sorry, kind of sounds like I’m asking for a free ENT consult - lol.

Thanks!

Sam.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I get very similar symptoms... Especially the tingling and the on/off sensation of fluid in ears. ENT says no fluid according to tympanogram but I'm not so sure. All this started after a loud microsuction procedure over 2.5 years ago and I still don't have any answers.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Valsalva maneuver is not completely safe! Some people (including possibly me) Got their T as a result of doing it too forcefully. If you feel strongly that you need to perform that maneuver, do it gently.

4. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      This sounds like exactly what happened to me. It ended up being the onset of TMJ that just happened around the same time as a cold. The tell tale sign is the worm feelings in the ear.

I’d really focus on your TMJ. I went through a steroid regimen, ear popper, oto vent, daily Mucinex and pseudofed. I have not been able to fully pop my ears in a year, but the pressure is releasing as I focus on my TMJ.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Bill. I am not doing Valsalva at the moment as it doesn't clear my ears anyway... it actually makes them worse as I'm not able to fully open the tubes when I do it.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That had been my experience too...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks kelpiemsp. What other symptoms do you have with your TMJ? I don't have any pain or anything that would alert me to the fact that I might have TMJ.

I'm not trying the prednisolone at the moment as I figure I'm trying to fight off this head/chest cold, so I don't want to supress my immune system.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Always Bill or only if you have a cold?
      I have absolutely no problem clearing my ears with the Valsalva normally, or even just by swallowing and yawning.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The last time I was doing it was around the time I got T. Now I no longer do it.

10. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      I also have a feeling of pressure in my ears on and off , but when I do the vasalva manouvre only one ears fills up with air . I am afraid to blow harder because of possible damage
      You have any idea how to fill up the other ear ? We don't have mountains here and I would like to test if I can pop my ears normally to check for ETD , thank you

11. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. :( Would the Eustachi help? They currently sell it at Target. https://www.target.com/p/eustachi-eustachian-tube-exerciser-unclog-your-ears-naturally/-/A-50413887

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry to hear you are also getting the pressure feelings.
      I'm normally fine, it's just been the last week, I'm sure mine is due to a severe head / chest cold.
      Last night despite feeling unwell, I went to the gym and did a treadmill workout to see if the exercise would help my ears. My left ear popped on it's own while on the treadmill - bliss!
      I think I'm unclogging. I'm going to do that workout again today.
      My left ear is easier today to clear via the Valsalva (I have to do it as the pressure is too great). But it's clogging up again quickly and I don't want to push my luck and do it too many times.... I am also fearful of blowing too hard, I don't need a burst ear drum!

I have ordered an Ear Popper, I'm not sure where you are located by check out www.earpopper.net.au - I've also done some research and it seems to be really good. There's a thread on it in Alternative Treatments on this forum.
      It might be worth investigating. The testimonials are really good.
      I've also got young children, thankfully they've never had ear infections, but could come in handy one day with them too.
      It's a little expensive, but if you are having continuous problems with one ear for no obvious reason, it might be worth a try.
      Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Jason, you are so kind as always.
      I ordered the Ear Popper - earpopper.net.au - I think this is similar to the Eustachi. It should arrive tomorrow.

It's just stressful because I always worry about my ears. Never had trouble popping them before either. Left ear seems to be getting a bit better, I can clear it with the Valsalva somewhat, right ear a tiny bit better today as well.
      I'm pretty unwell, so I'm sure that's it. I'm concerned about infection too, so going to the doctor today to see if I can get AB's as a precaution (I can't even remember the last time I took AB's).
      I was given prednisolone last week by the doctor, but I haven't taken it as I feel if I do, it's counter-productive. I'm clearly fighting a virus and need my immune system functioning!

14. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You are very welcome! I hope that the Ear Popper works for you. Please let us know. I hope you feel better very soon. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. gorzakus

gorzakus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ?
      Yes I can order that earpopper here in Belgium and probably I will of this keeps going .
      Thank you

• Like Like x 1
    16. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I just tried calling you Sam.

How did you get on with the doctor?

Do you still have Phytocort? If not, I can put it in the mail tomorrow for you?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Samantha R
      The facial nerve - cheek relates to pharyngeal, lacrimal and several other glands and has a connection to the stylohyoid and stapedius muscle - swelling. Sometimes a sinus/nasal cold will cause your description above.. It might help once your cold has settled a bit is too built up some sweat or circulation exercise.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for thinking of me Deb, as always, I appreciate you care.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Greg, some sort of nerve issue definitely crossed my mind. I am quite congested and having pounding headaches from the pressure.
      On the mend now, and the crawling sensations seem to be settling down. Thank goodness.
      I have been doing some cardio workouts and notice that my ears pop and I feel less congested afterwards (even though I am struggling to breathe while exercising, lol).

• Like Like x 1