Cardio or Swimming? Gym Making Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi all,

Two weeks ago I started going to the gym before work, to burn off the anxiety energy. Probably doing 30 minutes on an elliptical running machine each morning.

My tinnitus for the week was pretty bad consistently for the week. At the end of the week my back spasmed badly and I had to lay off this week.

The last 3 days have been quite good. Today I went back to the gym and did 30 minutes on the running machine and now I've noticed my tinnitus is worse.

I've read a couple of past threads about this and how cardio work seems to spike people's tinnitus.

Is it the same for swimming -- does anyone know?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I measured it with a sound meter app and it was about 65 - 70 dB but today I was wearing hearing protection as that had crossed my mind.

There's a spin room at my gym to and it's loud. Fortunately, I don't go to it.

4. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I have occasionally heard that the adrenaline released during sports also increases the tinnitus, but only as long as it circulates in the body....

5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Same here. I'm a distance runner and my tinnitus is usually louder afterwards but I think it helps me with my tinnitus in the long run (no pun intended).
      I used to swim laps and remember not hearing my tinnitus during it. It was great!

6. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I would give swimming a try. Thats why Gabby swam. It's quiet under water and the best full body cardio.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      But does it increase tinnitus afterwards?

8. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Not that I'm aware of. I think it's worth a try. If it causes a spike then don't do it again.

• Like Like x 1
    9. TWK

TWK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Any exercise above a certain level will likely always temporarily increase your tinnitus, but then lead to longer periods of lower tinnitus through the rest of the day.
      I pound in hard daily workouts, and my tinnitus is always substantially heightened by the end of it (I don't even notice it while working out, usually cycling on a trainer), but then it recedes over the next hour or so as my body cools down. Daily exercise combined with stress reduction (and therefore better sleep) helps to reduce my overall tinnitus levels.
      I would say keep up the exercise in any form because it is good for your body, mind and tinnitus in the long run.
      If loud sounds in a gym like crashing weights or booming music bothers your ears, then seek out a quieter exercise area and/or stick in some ear plugs.
      For me, swimming seems to irritate my ears and strongly increase my tinnitus apart from the exercise aspect, but everyone (and the origin of their tinnitus) is different.

10. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Of everything I've tried, vigorous exercise is the best therapy for my Tinnitus. And I'm about to step it up a notch. It is the greatest legal high available.

• Agree Agree x 2