Central Sensitization Syndrome (CSS) — The Prevailing Theory of the Cause of Chronic Pain

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Ela Stefan, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Look at this video:

Central Sensitization Syndrome (CSS) - Dr....

This doctor explains very well what is happening in the brain when you have chronic health conditions. Practically supplements, meditation, CBT, diet, fasting, whatever, just start working because the condition is just too chronic, and the brain, being too disrupted and in overdrive, just keeps reinforcing the symptoms.

He doesn't state anything about tinnitus though! I wonder if that multilateral therapy he is talking about would work on tinnitus. They work out their methods in a sort of rehab, more a type of pain clinic? But it works on many other symptoms and has as a central theory on the brain being hypersensitive, in an overdrive chronic state, which actually happens in chronic severe tinnitus. Which makes me think about the South Korean pain clinic again.

Thoughts in response please?

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      This is so weird. I was checking my emails during my lunch break from a day of appointments at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida for my two cancers and I see that this guy is at, you guessed it, the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida. You can’t make this shit up. Thanks for the video, very interesting.

George

3. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Hi @Ela Stefan - essentially, he is talking about neuroplasticity. The theory is that any chronic conditions come from maladaptive changes to the brain as a result of some form of injury or other event. Instead of responding to the initial event and then returning to a state of rest or balance (or homeostasis), the event leaves an "imprint" on the brain: the brain becomes aroused when dealing with the issue or "danger" and does not return to its base level once the immediate issue has been resolved. Instead, it remains in a heightened state of vigilance (a bit like a worried person always looking our for danger), and reacts at the slightest sign that there is, or may be, something wrong.

To me, it's a bit like anxiety - you worry about something that may or may not happen; you overestimate the risk. With tinnitus, this is linked to the limbic system. Something happens and your body reacts by sounding an alarm, alerting you to the danger. But, in this case, you cannot really do anything to stop the ringing. But instead of knowing that there is no danger, you continually look for the issue and your body stays in this state of hypervigilance.

This is a bit like the Jastreboff model of tinnitus, which states that once you can stop worrying about the sound, you will eventually calm down and stop thinking about it - i.e. habituation. In theory, if we felt that nothing was wrong with us when hearing these noises, we would not focus on the noise and it would bother us less and less. However, some people with tinnitus have injured their inner or middle ear, so it is not like a problem that just goes away - the symptom of tinnitus is telling us that we have an injury, just like pain will tell us that we have a broken leg. But why does tinnitus happen with some people but not with others who have these ear injuries? And why do some people get tinnitus but manage not to worry so much or get into this state of anxiety and hypervigilance?

With these pain issues and other symptoms, neuroplasticity is used to get people to focus on other things, to change behaviours and to react differently to the symptoms. By doing this, they supposedly retrain their brains to respond differently to the problem. I know that with pain, doctors have found that parts of the brain that register pain also perform other tasks. So by focusing on these other areas, the idea is that those parts of the brain start working more on other tasks and less on making us aware of the pain. The result can be that the part of the brain changes (neuroplasticity) to not really focus on pain anymore - and the symptoms of pain then diminish.

I asked myself if this could be applied to tinnitus - do parts of the brain that are involved in processing sound also do other sensory tasks and can we, by focusing on them, reduce the response of the brain to sound? Obviously, this is a little tricky for tinnitus, as it is not hearing outside sounds that we want to reduce, but internal sounds only.

In addition, these techniques do not work for everyone. It is very interesting and people on here have spoken, in their success stories, about keeping busy, getting on with life and spending less and less time thinking about the noise. I am sure that this can help people - indeed, I know that when I am focused on something it is hard for me to register the tinnitus at the same time - it falls into the background. But can everyone do this? What about those whose tinnitus is very loud? And even if they can do other things and forget about it some of the time, can consistent practice of distracting activity and thinking ultimately result in them no longer hearing their tinnitus?

Probably another thread. But at a high level, yes, we need to do something about changing the signal (or, as the video indicates, changing the brain's way of reacting to it). And it looks like this is how this treatment works on nerve signals.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @GeorgeLG, perhaps you can ask if he has tinnitus patients!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      @Uklawyer, all is good when tinnitus is stable. We need to consider the huge number of variables and more variables of this disease. I wonder how ignorant the people coming up with this theory of "neuroplasticity" were. At least on this forum, I haven't seen many people that just have one sound forever and that's all.

So many people have fluctuating, worsening, loud, erratic, ever changing etc tinnitus, and only a few have stable that all these can be applied to. How can one habituate and turn his thoughts away when he gets random loud bursts of piercing tones? This by nature is normal to cause hypervigilance and anxiety, a reaction that can't be controlled (and it's normal that can't be controlled).

We need to leave behind these theories by Shitreboff and whatnot, because they do only harm to moderate/severe sufferers.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Can we glue a smoke detector to the side of Jastreboff's head and set it off right before he wants to go to sleep every night? After about a year or so of that, we'll see what he has to say about his TRT. All in the name of science, of course!

7. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      I'll see what I can do.

George

• Like Like x 1