CEO Here to Battle with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Fin, Dec 28, 2018.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fin

Fin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don’t know. I’m guessing it’s work or stress related.
      I’ve seen my alternative therapist today and she wants me to work solely with her for the next three weeks.

We’re going to be doing daily acupuncture, massage and meditation and she has asked that I don’t think about tinnitus (lol) outside of our sessions and no forums etc.

I’ve agreed and for the next three weeks will be offline trying her methods - she’s mega and I’m very hopeful.

Good luck everyone and happy New Year’s Eve.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Fin

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      With respect it is this type of scaremongering that frightens the life out of some people with tinnitus and it's absolutely rubbish! I have had tinnitus for over 20 years and have taken ibuprofen many times and currently am taking it with no adverse effects. My blood pressure medicine is listed as "can cause" ringing in the ears. I have noticed no increase in the tinnitus and I've been taking this medicine for a long time.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      where is the place he is trying to raise money?

4. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      I'm not trying to scare anybody, NSAIDs are ototoxic and this guy is trying to figure out his tinnitus.

For all we know that could be causing it. I'm pretty sure he knows to take everything on the internet with a grain of salt, and if he really really needs to take ibuprofen, nobody's stopping him.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
    6. louis86
      Alienated

louis86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earbuds
      Try the curcumin powder. My tinnitus has cut down 20 percent.. That's enough to get me to take it the curcumin every day. Avoid all loud noises.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am tired of reading the word ototoxic and applying this to medications that will make tinnitus worse or responsible for its onset, which is not usually the case but it can happen.

Although many things can cause tinnitus, it is "exposure" to loud noise that is the most common. Headphone use or going to places where loud music is played - regularly being in a noisy environment are most likely responsible for the onset of tinnitus. Once exposure to loud noise is ruled out, underlying medical problems associated with the ear, stress, TMJ and medications should be looked at.

Michael

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mmmmmkay then what word should we use?

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      There is nothing wrong with the word ototoxic it is the overuse of it that I am against. It is often used by people that haven't much experience with tinnitus, that believe a lot of information purported on websites claiming certain medications can cause tinnitus, or make the condition worse which is not always the case, as I've indicated above with my own BP medicine.

The same applies to food and drink. Some people are quick to jump on the bandwagon and will advise others to omit certain food and drink from their diet claiming the same. Again, this is often not the case and a person will usually end up more miserable pursuing this route as I once did as a newbie: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/food-drink-and-tinnitus.12063/

People seasoned to tinnitus and veterans take a different approach and are not so quick to blame medication, food or drink for making tinnitus worse or causing it's onset. They will advise as I have indicated above, that exposure to loud noise is the most common cause of tinnitus. Once this is ruled out tests should be carried out to find if an underlying medical problem is responsible. Whether in the auditory system, stress, TMJ etc. Medication, food and drink can be looked at too.

Tinnitus can be very stressful especially in the early stages. Worrying unnecessarily can cause fear and paranoia and lead to other complications if one isn't careful.

Michael

10. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      what about me? I was abusing nsaids and exposing myself to loud sounds. think that could have exacerbated my hearing loss?

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I cannot comment on your specific situation, for I have no experience with the abuse of nsaids. My experience is with "noise induced" tinnitus and I advise as others do affected with noise trauma. That is to not use headphones of any type even at low volume. Keep away from overly loud sounds and get a referral to ENT for tests. Then a referral to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for the treatment and management of tinnitus and hyperacusis, if hyperacusis is present.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is best to get tests done at ENT to see how much hearing loss you have. If it is significant you may need a hearing aid/s If you have impaired hearing, a hearing aid will often help in reducing the tinnitus over time.

13. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can hear speech fine bro. why you sign your posts? every post has name.

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      He thinks it gives his posts a degree of professionalism and credibility and elevates them above the shit written by the riff raff like me. :ROFL:

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Even though you can hear speech fine this doesn't mean much if you have significant hearing within certain frequencies. Your brain will try and compensate for this by turning up its internal gain, similar to a volume control on a radio. While doing this the tinnitus will also be increased. A hearing aid/s will supply your brain with additional sound if this is what you need. Over time your brain will turn down its internal "gain" and thus the tinnitus will reduce too. See ENT and get your hearing checked is my advice.

Each post that I write I think if it as a letter and usually finish it by signing my name. It keeps me in good practice as I write a lot of letters and emails and looks more professional in my opinion.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I didn't see your quote @Bam until I finished replying to @JohnAdams You are right of course that I think it's more professional signing my name. Whether this elevates me above the riff-raff I have no idea.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wouldn't I be better of with some fx 322?

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am not familiar with the fx 322 drug so cannot comment. I believe in staying with the tried tested treatments that work. It is well known that hearing loss can cause tinnitus or make the condition worse. Get a referral to ENT and have your hearing checked. If you have significant hearing loss then your Doctor may advise on wearing one or two hearing aids. Your tinnitus should improve quite a lot over time. The fact that you also have tinnitus you will probably benefit from using a dual purpose hearing aid which has white noise too.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    19. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @louis86 Hi Louis....what type of curcumin do you take and how? Do you have a product name please?

20. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Please consider ending all shooting activities....for a year or more. You do not want to be anywhere near 160db or 140db+ sounds. And those ear audio protections might only give you 30db or so protection. It is NOT a safe combination for someone trying to get rid of T. As others have mentioned, regardless of ear audio protection, you would also be exposing yourself to cranial input to your ear system.

My T came about due to gun use, so I cannot let this comment go by without offering my advice. I hope with all the things you try you do find something that works for you, but you can undo progress with a single gunshot. Note, that is even with ear audio protection, which I had.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Fin anybody know what happened to Fin?

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fin

Fin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi guys, see my recent post.

And if any of you are UK based, more than welcome to come to the event.

23. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Fin Just want to let you know that I take Ibuprofen with no problems. It doesn't aggravate my tinnitus. Every person is different and react different to medications. With tinnitus, it is basically a trial and error which ever way you go.

Hope you are doing better these days.
      Once...

24. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
    25. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Oh my god, even CEOs can get tinnitus??? How can you do all the meetings and conferences call???? Too bad!

But you are CEO, you will win for sure your battle! Ahahahah.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fin

Fin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aloha folks,

How is everyone doing?

Reading back that first message now, still gives me the shudders when I think about how much tinnitus took over my life and my head for that period of time.

Really do hope that everyone is in a better place, even if just marginally than you were in December 2018.

So how have I been doing... In short much better. I’ve been focusing on my health more holistically and happy to say it’s working.

As you can’t have a tinnitusometer every day to signal how bad your tinnitus is, I use a scale which is roughly based on how many times throughout the day my tinnitus has taken my thoughts away from me.

0-3 = 1

3-6 = 2

6-9 = 3

9-12 = 4

12-15 = 5

15-20 = 6

20-30 = 7

30-50 = 8

50-100 = 9

100-200 = 10

When I wrote this before, I moved between a 5 and a 10 and I considered a 5 to be a bloody good day. There were a lot of 10s, I’d have at least an hour, more likely two on a night time, thrashing around. Or spending time throughout the day thinking how irritating it way and it would plague me for the rest of my life.

Now I operate between a 2 and a 6, I have the odd 7 if I drink a lot and smoke a lot of go to parties etc. But it’s never anywhere near as bad as it used to be.

Probably the main thing that has massively improved my quality of life is that I haven’t had anxiety in about 12 months. Not in any form. I think sometimes it’s hard to distinguish what is actually bringing you down the most, is it the noise, is it anxiety or are you getting depression.

For me 0 anxiety has made me a much happier chap, I’m not second guessing myself and my gut (which makes very good decisions most of the time) is back.

This has also meant that I know I can do the right thing for my company again, which makes me much happier too.

So what are the changes I’ve made in my life to get me to this happier place, I’ll share them all with you now.

Sleep

This is the number facking 1. I now sleep like a bear and get as much sleep as I can and it changes my mindset completely. Tinnitus plagued my sleep for the first 6 months and sent me into a spiral so it was the first thing I aimed to fix. For me if you can get this right, you’re on the way to recovery.

I know that’s an obvious thing, but here’s what I’ve done -

Changed my routine - I have a bath every night before bed, use bath bombs from lush and use scented candles / listen to strings on Spotify.

Take a phenegan an hour before I go to bed - look it up, meant to be antihistamine but works wonderfully to get me and keep me asleep.

I have blacked out my bedroom.

Have a muji candle kicking out oils that are soothing.

Listen to audible as I’m going to sleep - this one is huge as it takes away the concentration on the noise. I listen to Sapiens every night on repeat, the guys voice is very soothing.

Moved all morning meetings. I know I’m lucky that I can do things like this, but I sometimes work until 1/2am and used to get up at 7. Now that is a no go. If I’m working until 2am I’ll sleep until 10am.

Diet

I’ve found juicing - it’s bloody great. Look up Jason Vale. Honestly transformational for my health not just my head. I now have about 10 portions of fruit and veg a day and they taste wonderful. I don’t just juice full time as I eat other foods every day but some days I try intermittent fasting too, seems to also help.

Other thing here is vegetable soup, a really clean recipe to blend down veg with stock and freeze it - tastes beautiful and only goodness.

I can share the juicing / soup recipes if people want them.

Getting all these nutrients into my body allows it to heal. I’m feeling all sorts of health benefits - not just my tinnitus getting better. Trying to provide the optimum environment for my body to heal has had other effects too.

I have a protein shake every day and put turmeric in it - meant to have lots of health benefits.

Also cut out chocolate and sweets. I have protein shakes or protein bars now. That’s not just for the badness but to keep me in better shape - don’t know if it has an effect.

Wholesome time

This isn’t a doctors remedy or a drug you can prescribe but it definitely works.

Think about all the things you do to make yourself feel grounded and warm and do them as many times as you can. I’m not much of a meditater but I will get there at some point

Love your family

Spend time with little ones

Dogs are full of joy

Swap Ibiza for Scotland

Swap clubs for spas

Read / calm Audible’s

Baths

Walking (sometimes barefoot outside)

Swimming

Laugh

Be kind to others

Do things for those less fortunate

Have others to help

Apart from friends and family I’ve had two people that have really helped me on my tinnitus journey. Having people that are there for the sole purpose of helping your tinnitus means you have people to turn to, people to ask questions to that don't get bored and it also means that you can keep tinnitus talk away from your normal relationships

So firstly, my therapist Ellie, who joined me last December and is one of the kindest, smartest and most wonderful people on this planet. She’s helped in a number of ways, talking, acupuncture, yoga lessons, massage, taking me to chiropractor.

Secondly Julian Cowan Hill - you can look him up on YouTube. He’s kind of like a tinnitus yogi bear. Such a lovely chap who suffered for a long time and now helps others get better. I see him once a week in normal times and get regular body work done. I honestly couldn’t recommend him enough, you can tell he doesn’t do it for the money and just wants to help people with their quality of life.

Happy to make intros to either of them if you think it would help you.

Body contact

I find this calms down my nervous system and moves focus away from the noise. Any time of massage, facial, reflexology. I try to get it in as much as I can. If you have a loving partner and they learn how to give head massages - I find it’s the best thing with coconut oil before I sleep and it completely shuts me down.

Julian also gives me cranial sacral - this is very relaxing and if you can afford sessions with an expert, worth every penny.

Dodging the loud music

Obvious one but I have AirPods Pro and I wear them to clubs or festivals and the noise cancelling divides everything by 5. I didn’t want to stop my lifestyle completely and this allows me to still experience what I want whilst not making my T worse.

Conclusion

So I’m by no means done yet, but I think I’m through the worst of it. For anyone reading this that is in a really bad place. Please know that it gets better if you work at it - I promise you I’ve been there and know how shit it is and you can come through it, you just have to make a plan and stick to it.

The other thing I’d note is to track the days and how you’re feeling with it. Tinnitus can spike without you really knowing why and it’s so frustrating, but if you track your days, you’ll see that over time it gradually goes down.

I also know that I’ve spent a fair bit of money transforming my lifestyle and for those of you doing this on the cheap that have to work intense jobs too, I salute you. If I was in your position, I’d sub out anything above which costs money and find friends / free resources to support. Also on the body work, you can do things yourself like face / jaw work, foot work, or buy a neck massager - they are cheap.

The future

I’m not going to stop working on it until I have got my quality of life to a place I’m totally happy with, whether that means my tinnitus at a 1/2/3 or whether it’s gone completely. I will post again when there are significant developments.

I’d love to do more for the tinnitus community once I’m in a position to do so.

I’ve thrown an event or two in my office with tinnitus experts giving free advice to people and I plan on throwing more this year.

It’s very sad that there aren’t more resource available to people when at their darkest and I’d love to set up some form of free tinnitus retreat in the future. Anybody else interested in this idea, feel free to DM me as I have a few plans and people that also want to help in the future.

Signing out folks.

CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEoh

Actually more like Ceeeeoh nowadays.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    27. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To FIN:
      Forgive me, but I cannot possibly have the slightest interest in anyone who would actually recommend such a laughably, pseudoscientific character as Julian Cowan Hill.

Are you aware that in two videos actually he actually said that if you write the word "LOVE" on a piece of tape and affix it to the outside of a steel cooker, the "force" of the word will penetrate the steel and alter the molecular composition of the substances inside (the examples he gives are rice and ice).

The next time you see him, please confront him with this unbelievable quack lunacy. Also, request that since he had such success with ice and rice he write this word on a piece of tape and affix it to the side of your head. If it's "force" can penetrate a quarter inch of steel, then surely it can absorb through your cranium and totally alleviate your tinnitus (with, I imagine, no further "therapy" required).

Don't let him deny these statements; I look forward to his reply regarding the application of this "miraculous" healing method.

In one of his videos he also waxed with high indignation that he apparently sent a detailed letter to the British ENT Association that he had a bona fide cure for tinnitus, and never received a response. I would be interested in whatever follow-ups he engaged in to compel an actual response.

Finally, please see Corinna's entry dated 12/15/19 about her utterly awful, disappointing experience with him.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1