Change in character and localisation of tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by hps, Jun 14, 2013.

1. hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      hi all
      I am curious to know if any of you has change in T with time
      mine was initially high pitced broken not continuous,in both ears left more than right ,more on getting up in the morning ,then it used to settle down after half an hour to high frequency beep in left ear only.It was localised to ears.No sleep disturbance.
      After two months; It started causing sleep disturbance by waking me up at 3 or 4 am .It was like CRT monitor like sound in the dream which used to wake me up .Then on waking it used to disappear. Day time T was similar but present in both ears , it involed right ear also which used to be sielent .Most of nights I could sleep un interrupted.
      Between 3 to 6 months ;high frequency hissing both ears ,very variable character
      7 and 8 months; localisation changed ,now it is sometimes in ears ,some times in whole of head left side more than right[this bothers me more],more sleepless nights.Lowlevel hissing even when T used to be in sielent day.
      has any of you experienced change in location of T from ears to head with time.I wonder where T will settle ultimately ?please share your experience.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I haven't, but what you describe isn't unheard of.

Tinnitus, its pitch, volume, type and location can change.

The perception changing from ears to head is a regular phenomenon I hear about.

It is unfortunate yours is changing, making it more difficult to habituate. I hope your tinnitus starts to stabilize soon.

Markku

3. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud), 11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Mine changed too, after 2 months of inital worsening. It changed from high pitched tone into louder electricity hiss. I point it to benzo withdrawal.

But it has been 4 months now and it didn't change again since. I hope it will not worsen again.

4. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      When I had my T last year (August 1)it was a mild high pitch cricket type more on the right ear a little bit on my left, after a month (September)I (stupid mistake) attended church service with amplified music which changed my T to a much higher pitch now pronounce in both ears, then I was hit by a fire alarm days after that which made my T even louder for 2 months...it settled back down to the background for 5 months (I barely think about it), then just last month May 1, after a long drive my T seemed higher like a jet waiting for take off, and fluctuating since....I got used to it in a weeks time but I still get days where it seems to bother me more...but I know I will habituate to this change in time, besides, I am getting more good days (non-reaction days) than bad.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      OMG, even my T increases after driving car for long distances. I hear occasional clicking sounds for 2 to 3 days after traveling , in my worst left ear ,probably from hair cells in ear.The T also changes character each time I travel.

6. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      Yeah, I may or may not be using earplugs the next time I go on any trip longer than 10 minutes. It would be best to use etymotics, alpines, or flesh-colored earplugs; these are less visible ... it may be illegal to wear earplugs while driving depending on where you drive.

7. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      It settled after 2 months ... that gives me some hope here. However, I'm sorry to read about your worsening from the car ride.

@Petloy and @hps I am discovering that after about 30 minutes on the freeway, the T in my left ear starts acting up. Now, I may or may not wear earplugs and almost always drive in the slow lane (faster you go, the louder it gets, I think). We all have different cars ... I might get something called "Dynamat" installed in my car, to reduce sound. It seems like 2 other people here have similar T to mine, Mock Turtle and Louise. I think I read somewhere here that for one of them, their T got worse after a 3 hour drive and never subsided. With my old T, I could drive for 6 hours, without earplugs, no prob. Hopefully I'll get to that point again if I can heal ... I'll try driving further than 2 hours in a year's time.

I'm a bit scared since I will be going on a flight soon. Of course, I'll be bringing along my Peltor ear muffs and earplugs for that flight. Perhaps a brand called "earplanes" that helps with equalizing pressure. Overkill? Maybe. If you have to fly, this website has some advice on flying:

http://www.stvincentmedicalcenter.c...y/hearing-disorders/eustachian-tube-problems/

• Like Like x 1
    8. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Thanks for the post on flying and ETD. ETD gave me tinnitus, and I've been avoiding planes because my eustachian tubes still act up.

9. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      @jazz

Yeah, I have a feeling something is wrong with my eustachian tubes these days, and that they are contributing to my tinnitus, so I'll avoid using the valsalva maneuver as I land and after I get off. It's more than a feeling, actually ... in the first step of drawing up mucus from my throat (pretty, I know) I can hear, in a silent room, a new tone of tinnitus, but only in that first step, when I use the muscles at the top and back of my throat.

I really like your avatar!

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      I use ear pluggs when traveling in car.I avoid my diesel car [more vibration from engine].My T typically increases; the night when I travel, or the next day but sometimes I can hear my T after 4 hours of drive increasing with speed of car.I have to travel long distance once a month.

11. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:

@Job Thanks for the compliment! :cat: Your avatar is also quite nice!

Watch the valsalva maneuver! It caused my tinnitus last August. All summer, I had a lot of ear pressure and clicking and performed the maneuver many times. Then, late in August, I popped my ears. What should've been a soft "pop" and release became instead a "wind tunnel" sensation. Much pressure was released, and I heard a brief symbol like sound (maybe for a second) from deep within my ear. I think the pressure backfired into my cochlea. My ENT did say my eardrum was scarred, and I had probably experienced a barotrauma from the valsalva maneuver.

I'm not saying this will happen with you. But if you have a lot of pressure, perhaps you should not "pop." I never imagined I would hurt my ear from popping. (My tinnitus is unilateral and only in the ear with the ETD.) This maneuver is always considered safe as long as you don't exert a lot of pressure--and I did not! Anyway, I now use nasal steroids (Nasonex) when I'm feeling pressure from my ETD. The steroids help both the pressure and the clicking, but I'm only using them during allergy season.

Here's a link for ETD and tinnitus: (this is for objective tinnitus)

http://www.audiologyonline.com/ask-the-experts/relationship-between-eustachian-tube-dysfunction-144

And here's a procedure that is being used (by at least two physicians) to correct ETD. The article has some graphic pictures:

http://www.enttoday.org/details/art...tion_for_Chronic_Tube_Dysfunction_and_Pa.html

Have fun on your trip. I hope its for pleasure and not business!

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      hi all, anybody else with change in localisation from ears to head, please share your experience. It is making me crazy.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      Hi click
      Did your T started in ears initially and then migrated to the brain with time? how is your T now ?has it decreased further in volume and freuency?Mine has changed location from ears to brain.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      Hi Erik
      you said that you feel T in your brain. Can you mask it with something. Last night I could not sleep because I could hear my T in brain over the music in my mobile by my bedside which usually helped earlier and even television sound could not help [as it helped earlier]

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      Hi Map
      Mine T also changed from high frequency whistle in one ear to hissing in both ears after taking clonazepam every 3rd night for three times and omitting it fourth time.Since then I am taking valium once a week when things become out of control.But I am trying to taper it further because it seems my present T is benzo related because it is more in brain than ears. What is your story as related to benzos

16. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      hi hps, I have multiple tones (3 I think) and part of me thinks it would be nice to just have hissing, as mine fluctuates a lot and can't be masked ... but I'm guessing that's not the case with you? You dislike the hissing. Also, what dose were you taking?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      took clonazepam 1.0 mg three nights every 3rd night for three occasions ,then 0.5 mg when required , now taking valium 7.5 mg when required[mostly weekly]

18. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi, I was prescribed alprazolam (Xanax) for my anxiety and isomnia after my T worsening due to noise exposure. I took it three weeks 1mg before sleep. When I lowered my dose, my T changed to electrical hiss and became much louder. I also developed some eye floaters and minor neurological problems.

I didn't took any benzos before and it was more than 4 months ago since I took last pill. Now I blame myself every night for taking these hell drugs.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      map, has the T decreased after stopping xanax in these 4 months.How do you cope up with sleep problem now?

20. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Unfortunately sound and volume my T doesn't improved much yet. But my reaction to it is improving somewhat with time.

I was prescribed trazodone (Trittico) instead Xanax to help with sleep issues (it is commonly prescribed for it in our country) and sometimes I am taking lowest possible dose when I really can't fall asleep. But more and more often I am now able to fall asleep naturally even with loud noise in my ears. I am taking natural supplements and trying to exhaust myself before going to bed.

I am staying away from any other drugs now. I learned my hard lesson with them :(

21. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      I was on .5 mg clonazepam for a while (1 week, then cut off a bit so I was taking about .4 mg for 2 weeks). So, 3 weeks total at first. When I tried to stop, sleep was impossible. I took one yesterday just for relief. Now I get a weird feeling in my foot, like it is vibrating. At first I thought a cell phone was vibrating or someone was playing loud music somewhere, but no, it's my foot. Klonopin really is evil. Like Map, I am staying away from drugs now. Trying to exercise more and drink lots of water to get this stuff flushed out. Hard lesson learned.

22. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi hps,

Please, don't worry about your tinnitus migrating. Many people experience this, and it is not something to be feared. It just happens, and you must accept it. After a while, it will calm down.

Mine did change from my left ear to the left side of my head, though sometimes I still get a nasty--but brief--squeal in my ear. The migration occurred approximately six to eight weeks after my tinnitus first appeared. I've also periodically experienced a sensation from my tinnitus, like someone tugging at my hair. This is also the result of my tinnitus "going central," i.e., migrating to my head. But these unusual sensations do pass, and you will be fine. While I used to get unusual head sensations every day, I now only get them when my tinnitus is severe. And, when it calms, so too does my head.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      Jazz
      thanks .yesterday night I got up after 2hours of sleep and T was very loud in my brain which decreased after getting up and then I slept again with tv on.Do you still get such episodes like mine.Has Your T stablised [if yes for how many months],mine is continuously changing character.Is your T mostly in head now and is it far less than earlier when it just migrated to brain? it will give me some reassurance.

24. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hbs,

Everyone's tinnitus spikes--or gets very loud--during sleep. It has something to do with tinnitus and delta waves. As you know, delta waves are associated with sleep. Researchers believe tinnitus increases delta and alpha waves. So there's probably a connection. Scientists are still exploring the relationship. When I've awoken in the middle of the night, my tinnitus sometimes sounds like a siren. But I am able to go back to sleep. I do, however, take 3mg time-released melatonin to help me sleep. The melatonin might help me fall back to sleep. But I would not take melatonin with other drugs without talking to my physician. You don't want to hurt yourself! Anyway, many drugs will help you sleep and you should never combine them, eg, benzos, valium.

Using the TV as white noise is an excellent idea. You need to keep your auditory system occupied with noises other than your tinnitus. And the noise will help you relax. You could also try water sounds, etc. There are good soundmachines that help people. I've slept with a water sounds since late September when my tinnitus became 24/7. I originally injured myself late last August, and the tinnitus took a while to develop.

My tinnitus is primarily in my head. It's been that way since the migration, except for those occasional ear squeals. The sound has changed; it's gotten higher and lighter. When it was in my ear, it was high but richer, more complex. This is hard to describe, but the sound was fuller. Now, the sound is extremely high and lighter. Like a distant whistle. It's so high now nothing will mask it. But listening to water sounds or enjoying music at sensible volumes greatly helps!
      And, though I don't like the higher sound, it is lighter and easier to tolerate.

Don't worry about your tinnitus changing character. As long as you don't do further damage to your ears, it should stabilize. People do say benzos will lower the volume, but they are tricky and may actually increase the noise. I would just wear earplugs when I'm doing something loud (eg, cutting the grass) or going to the movies (some can be loud). But, in general--as long as you don't blast your music and practice common sense--your hearing will continue to recover and your tinnitus will improve slowly. People whose tinnitus worsens usually inadvertedly expose themselves to very loud noises (eg, seeing a band play at a local bar, or going to a wedding with a loud band). I just keep my earplugs in my purse incase something happens--like I get stuck in a fire alarm!

Has my tinnitus stabilized? It depends your definition. My tinnitus cycles, and it has always cycled. But the cycles are better, and I believe I'm going longer in between spikes. I'm keeping a diary of my food and tinnitus status. Everyone is different. My tinnitus is affected by some additives--eg, MSG which is in many things, including bottled salad dressings. Yet my tinnitus also cycles on its own, regardless of what I eat. That said, over time my tinnitus has improved. My sleeping is great, and, unless I'm spiking, I'm back to normal activities. I've learned to tolerate the tinnitus unless it is loud. But I've not adjusted to very loud tinnitus. And so, I'm keeping my diary. Overtime, I expect the very loud days to leave entirely!

My tinnitus is somewhat new as is yours. Experts usually say it takes a year or two to habituate. Sometimes, it takes longer if you're under stress. People who habituate either 1) no longer hear their tinnitus or 2) only hear it when they listen for it. Most people, I believe, belong to the second category. But that's okay too! Just don't listen for it!

Hope this helps!:)

• Like Like x 2
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      do you think obcessing about T leads to change in charater and localisation of T?

26. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Many people have noticed that tinnitus can be "switched-on", or exacerbated after sleep. I have researched this phenomenon a little and wonder if the so-called Cortisol Awakening Response ("CAR") has anything to do with it. My layman's understanding is that within half an hour of waking up, an individual's cortisol (a hormonal steroid produced by the adrenal glands) is increased by as much as 50%. I have heard this described this as the brain sending an "all hands on deck" signal to the body. While the CAR is perfectly normal, I wonder whether this increase in cortisol is (partly) responsible for triggering or increasing tinnitus in some individuals.

-Golly

• Like Like x 2
    27. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Interesting analysis Golly.

Your theory makes sense.

Stress and tinnitus - from bedside to bench and back

It's a good article depicting the connection between stress and tinnitus.

From the "Stress and tinnitus" paragraph:
      • First, stress may potentially activate the local HPA axis in the inner ear. The consequences of local overdrive in the HPA system in cochlea are so far unknown.
      • Second, stress-activated HPA corticosterone release may affect mineralcorticoid receptor function in cochlea and possibly influence the concentration of potassium secreted by stria vascularis, resulting in tinnitus.
      • Third, stress-induced activation of HPA axis and corticosteroid release could provoke pre- or post-synaptic neuronal plasticity of the auditory system (Figure ​(Figure55).
      Well, the whole article is worth a read...

But wouldn't this make sense that upon wakening due to cortisol awakening response, tinnitus also may be perceived louder/more annoying in some cases?
      I don't experience this phenomenon, but so many others do.

More about HPA on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal_axis

You are onto something here!

• Like Like x 2
    28. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Hi hps

My T has varied in tone and locality since the beginning. It's disappeared completely and it's screamed with a vengeance. It's always in my head but not always in the same place.

Recently however it's changed more significantly. It has become a completely different tone. More high pitched and much lighter. When it's there it's now more of a continuous high pitched hiss but it's much, much more distant - which I'm glad of! It also varies less in one day. Before it would come and go but this gentle continuous hissing stays all day & then for a number of days. It made me start to think that it was never going to change again - but it did! Mostly it's quiet but sometimes it gets loud and annoying - it disappeared this morning and came back again this afternoon.

One thing that has amazed me is that on waking... around 4 times in the last fortnight I have had to search for my tinnitus - actively listen to hear it. My T has always been worse first thing in the morning and this change really freaked me out after getting screamingly loud T almost every morning (I think there were about 2 days in the last 16 months when it didn't scream before this).

This new hiss... when it's loud... can't really be 'masked' by rain sounds which is how I coped during bad moments before.

As no medical expert is able to contradict me (because they know so da***d little about T!) I have decided to believe that this change is a good thing. Instead of freaking out, I prefer to try and convince myself that this is 'the beginning of the end of my T'. It's a nice thought to have. :rolleyes: I also believe that testing and changing the food I eat is helping me - I still really believe that diet is the key to bringing the volume of my T right down... but it's really complicated - sodium / salicylates / tyramine & a whole load of other stuff that I've never had to think about before. :eek:

"do you think obcessing about T leads to change in charater and localisation of T?"
      In answer to this question of yours... for me, no it doesn't.
      I absolutely know without a shadow of doubt that it makes no difference whether I fret about T all day, listen to it and do nothing else all day, get involved in loads of activities which take my attention away from t, feel calm about t or feel like I'm sick to death of being 'a person with tinnitus' - my T does not get worse or better as a consequence of how I feel. Stress doesn't affect my T either. But I can only say that this is what happens to me & we're all different.

Try not to go crazy because anxiety certainly won't help. I bet yours changes again - hopefully for the better!

Click
      @hps

• Like Like x 2
    29. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Gosh Jazz - have just read your post and had to say how similar so much of it was to how my T is, how I feel etc. etc.

@jazz

• Like Like x 1
    30. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @click

You mention you have "tiny clicks" (hence your moniker?).Since the onset of my tinnitus, which is a high-pitched hiss, I also hear clicking noises in botch ears. They occur when I move my head or jaw, or sometimes they happen on their own. I am certain that these are objective sounds (unlike my subjective tinnitus) and most interestingly, the frequency of the clicking is dramatically higher on bad tinnitus days. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have days with no tinnitus at all. On these days, I have very little in the way of these clicking sounds.

Are your symptoms anything like mine?

-Golly