Change in Tinnitus Pitch After a Party Where I Consumed a Lot of Alcohol

Discussion in 'Support' started by grime, Jan 28, 2019.

1. grime
      In pain

grime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      idk, noise? stress? maybe even dormant syphilis returning
      TL;DR ~ tinnitus spiked after party where I drank a lot, volume seems to have subsided but the pitch and sound has changed to something I can't mask. Could this be an alcohol thing?? Has anyone had something similar??

If anyone has had something similar happen, or might have some answers as to what the HELL is happening, I'd really really really appreciate it...

Ok so the other day I went to a party, moderate music volume and some screaming (by me) but otherwise not anything louder than I've already been in the presence of with no effect on my tinnitus. But I did get pretty drunk, and as soon as I left I could tell there was a spike and I assumed (and still assume) it was from the alcohol.

3 days later, and while the actual spike has mostly subsided I don't think my tinnitus is louder than it used to be, I think the pitch and sound have both shifted. It's not loud, but it went from being sort of static with mildly high pitched ringing to one holistic extremely high pitched ring.

What's extremely frustrating is that this pitch is impossible to mask for me. I used to be able to mask my tinnitus with the hum of my laptop or with music, but I can pick out my tinnitus over both of them EXTREMELY easily. But if I plug my ears with earplugs and listen to the sound unadulterated it is definitely quieter than it was a couple months ago...

This is really bizarre and unbelievably frustrating... I can't even listen to music anymore because the sound is impossible to ignore.

Has anyone experienced something along these lines, or knows what it might be related to? Any answers are really really appreciated!!!

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It ought to continue fading. Give it time - the pitch will likely return to what it used to be. Having said that, every time you get those temporary setbacks, it likely interferes with your healing, so try not to do the things that make you feel worse afterwards.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @grime p.s. Now that I think of it, after my secondary acoustic trauma, my T's pitch also became more high pitched and harder to ignore. That spike had lasted for over three months, but eventually I was back to where I was just before I had that secondary trauma.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Not to freak you out but like bill I had a spike that lasted months. However I did recover!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      At about eleven years into this, alcohol has been somewhat inconsistent for me. Last night for instance, after a few beers I noticed my volume was a little less. I cut the TV volume off to confirm. And sure enough the volume went from loud as hell to "just there." That isn't much of a description, but it was better.

Then this morning I paid for the break I got last night. The volume was about as high as ever. And throughout the day it has settled back to just loud.

There is no consistency for me with anything. What helped yesterday may not today.

• Informative Informative x 1