Changing Sounds

Discussion in 'Support' started by hannah bow, Feb 12, 2018.

1. hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My tinnitus initially started in my right ear and has slowly made its way to my left. My left ear initially was just a low whooshing sound, a bit like having a fly stuck in your ear. Just this second it has changed to a high pitch screech. These changes in sound seem to be happening more frequently... should I be worried about this? I am struggling at the moment :(

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It could just be fleeting tinnitus and will go away as fast as It came.
      Try not worry and stay calm and relaxed .
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Wolfmom21
      Blah

Wolfmom21 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus sounds change pretty frequently. I have my constant sounds, and then I have others that tend to change in pitch and volume. Sometimes I'll go months with no change, and then all of a sudden, I'll have a new sound:whistle: At first, I would get really distraught with any new sound and I would obsess over it, checking it over and over throughout the day. It will get better. Trust me. One I realized that I could and would adjust to the new noise, I started to relax. Chances are the new noises wont stick around, but if they do, you will be able to adjust. Just try not to listen for them all the time. This is something that I still have to tell myself sometimes. Checking to see if the sound is still there isn't going to make it go away. Hope this helps:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Thanks both.
      Everything feels like it’s getting so much louder for me, I’ve been very emotional about it all today and so wondering if this stress is feeding it.

I also find myself constantly checking for the noise, this is something I’ll have to change. I’m working in an office with lots of computers and really feel that this is affecting me too.

5. Wolfmom21
      Blah

Wolfmom21 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I work in a small office and have computers all around me. Can you listen to a sound app on your phone? Or maybe even a small fan on your desk? That's what helping me right now. I'm having a nasty spike at the moment. Stress and worrying about it will for sure bring it front and center! I know it's hard to try and ignore it. Believe me, I've been there. My husband and co workers will tell you that I am the worst to google everything and think that I'm sick all the time:oops: I only have one good ear( born deaf in my right)I tend to obsess over anything that I think might be wrong with me or anyone in my family. Just try and find something that can take your mind off of it for even a minute at a time. It will get easier. A couple of years ago, I had a new sound that was really loud to me. It seemed to be there constantly for over a month. I still have the sound today, but I have adjusted to it and I hardly notice it at all now.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I can’t really listen to a sound app as headphones are what have increased my T :( and I guess I can’t listen to it out loud on my phone. I feel like my ears are tuning in to the computers frequencies, it’s very strange.

I’m glad that you’ve been able to adjust to your sounds. I’m really hoping I can too, just yesterday it felt like it had pretty much gone but today it’s back with a vengeance. If you have any useful relaxation tips that would be amazing :)

7. Wolfmom21
      Blah

Wolfmom21 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I totally understand! Certain things seems to make my T louder as well. Seems like my brain tunes into it. One of the best things I can suggest for relaxation is to take a shower. When I'm really stressing about my T, I will get in the shower and turn the water up as hot as I can stand it. I actually lay down in the tub and just let the water hit me. I will stay in there as long as I can. I also use a lot of essential oils. Not so much to stop the T, but I just like the smells. Peppermint is my favorite! I also use lavender to relax me. I just put it in a vaporizer and let it go all day! I've got one in my office and I'm using it as we speak ;) Just try and find something that you enjoy to take your mind off of the T. I know, easier said than done! But it is possible. In the spring and summer, I try and find things to do outside; yardwork or washing the car. The T doesn't seem to be as loud for me outside. The winter months are harder because you are stuck in the house. But, maybe one of those adult coloring books? I have used one in the past. Concentrating on blending the colors seemed to help me. (I'm not artistic by any means) Right now, I'm totally into the Olympics! I've watched every night after work and it seems to help keep me occupied. I'm not a good cook, but I'll try new recipes or spend hours on Pintrest trying to found new stuff to eat. You'll figure it out. I know it seems impossible sometimes, but if I can keep going, so can you. I'm the most paranoid person I know :D You will eventually learn how your body responds to the sounds and be able to handle it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hannah bow

hannah bow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Oh thank you so much for such a thoughtful response! You’ve really helped make my evening feel a little less scary and overwhelming tonight. I also seem to be gripped by the Olympics, I’ve found myself watching it when I’ve been unable to sleep. Also just taken myself for a little evening walk to try and clear my head. Lavander is great isn’t it, I’ve been drenching my pillow with it every night :) a vapouriser sounds like a good idea too!

Thank you so much for filling me with some hope. Tomorrow is a new day and I’m going to make my day as positive as possible, I know the dramatic change today in loudness/pitch has been massively due to anxiety and stress so fingers crossed for a calmer day tomorrow.

Really can’t thank you enough :) x

• Like Like x 1