Chirping/Cricket Tinnitus After a Concert (I Used Hearing Protection)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jeepthing, Dec 13, 2021.

1. jeepthing

jeepthing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I went to a loud show with hearing protection about four months ago, and I don't think the protection was good at all. I used Etymotic Research ER20XS filters, and trusted them almost completely since they're a decent manufacturer and everything.

After about 1.5 weeks after the concert, my ears were still ringing loudly. I went to an ENT after another 1.5 weeks and they did a hearing test and found some hearing loss on my right ear. Some of this was from previous exposure, but the test showed worsened hearing regardless.

I think I made a mistake. I read that Prednisone can help in these situations, but I read somewhere that it should be taken days after exposure at most. I figured since it was about a month, it was too late. I mentioned Prednisone to the ENT, but they didn't seem to relate. I figured I'd just have to cross my fingers at this point.

Well, fortunately, my brain seemed to have figured out the solid tones, but I now have a chirping sound in my right ear. I am riding waves of anxiety and cooling off almost every day since I started noticing it. I was told by people who have been to a lot of loud concerts without hearing protection (many more than I have) that it'll go away eventually. However, I do find myself in states of panic and I really could use help from people who can relate.

Prior to all this happening in my life, I didn't know that this hearing protection was this terrible, that Prednisone will work even a couple months after onset, and that "chirping" tinnitus even existed. I made mistake after mistake after mistake, and here I am. As of this writing, it has been about four months after the concert.

I have been experimenting with a bunch of supplements. It seems that Magnesium and Lipoflavonoid makes the chirping harder to hear and less frequent. I can't say if I'm somehow adapting or healing, but there have been recent nights and mornings where my ear is chirp-free. When I catch myself in those situations, I don't even want to move. I want to just witness my ear being normal as long as I can.

I hate to say this, but I probably should have reached out to a community like this in addition to seeing the ENT instead of going by the ENT's advice entirely. So I feel like I'm just catching up, and I really wish I would have reached out sooner. So I have a bunch of questions.
      • Is there anything I can do now? Is there anything about my situation that I need to know about?
      • Does "chirping" tinnitus ever go away? I have tones, and they don't bother me, but this chirping sound is totally new to me. I can't find any threads on this forum about chirping sounds vanishing in time. Should I expect to hear this for life?
      • Is there any chance that Prednisone could do anything at this point? Would it hurt to try, even if it's late?
      • There are times where my ear "flutters" to sound, like an intense bass throbbing maybe once a week. I've had this for as long as I can remember. Could this be related to the "chirping" sound in my ear somehow?
      • I read that low doses of seizure medication can help. Is this worth trying? Should I wait to try it to see if my situation improves?
      • I might be trying to find problems, but I noticed that I can't seem to easily close my mouth recently. Could this be related to jaw muscles, or maybe some kind of inflammation or infection?
      • Think there will be any way to get rid of this chirping in the near future? I've been reading about drug trials and the like, and it seems like there might be something in the next 10 years?

2. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Hi @jeepthing,

Sorry about your recent onset of tinnitus.
      Yeah, that's the sad truth. If the venue is loud enough, no hearing protection can protect you from hearing damage. There's so many loud things in our society, and I believe everyone damages their hearing a little pretty often. What makes some develop tinnitus, and others not, seem to be partially related to how our brains are wired, i.e. genetics.
      Sounds like you may have found some things that work for you, which is great!

Just keep in mind, if you go on a roll for other supplements, don't expect any extraordinary changes; a lot of people drain their wallets on useless supplements which doesn't do anything for noise induced tinnitus. Never buy anything that is said to "cure" tinnitus especially, since it's always a scam.
      Rest your ears. I'd advise you to never attend loud venues again, like concerts, and to always use ear plugs in moderately loud environments, like walking down a city street or while in crowded public spaces. Just don't find yourself using hearing protection literally 24/7, as that may not be a good thing either.

There's also situations to be aware of, like going to the dentist, having wax removed, or doing hearing tests e.t.c. Search this forum for more tips about those things.
      Things can definitely improve if you rest your ears.
      I've had a pretty tense jaw from the stress tinnitus causes, so that could be a possibility.
      There could very well be, but I think we shouldn't put our entire hope into it. Focus on adapting and learning to live with it, even if the tone is from hell. If it stays pretty constant, try to befriend it.

Wish you a speedy recovery,
      Stacken

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sorry to hear about the increase in your tinnitus @jeepthing, and hope it improves with time. I don't think the manufacture of the hearing protection you mention is to blame. Once a person develops noise induced tinnitus, the auditory system is more vulnerable and sensitive to sound even after habituation has been reached. You could have used the best hearing protection in the world.

However, if external sound is too loud it will pass through your head and transfer to the inner ear by bone conduction which could spike the tinnitus. It might reduce to its previous baseline level or it could increase to a new permanent one. It can also change to variable tinnitus. I have written about this many times in this forum. With time it will hopefully settle down.

Please click on the links below and read my threads: Will My Tinnitus Get Worse? Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus? They explain the importance of keeping away from loud sounds and not using headphones, even at low volume for someone with noise induced tinnitus.

All the best.
      Michael

Will My Tinnitus Get Worse? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum