Chirping, Zapping Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by WildMan, Jan 11, 2020.

1. WildMan

WildMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Beginning of 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Since I developed tinnitus back in 2016 I noticed a chirping / zapping sound that I can actually feel. Like a small burst of energy going off in my inner ear.

I think I know what's causing mine. I am slowly developing HFS (hemifacial spasms) the left side of my face is where my spasms occur and my left ear is where the zapping occurs.

I have a blood vessel pressing against my facial nerve and this facial nerve runs along side the auditory nerve. I would not be suroprised if the auditory nerve is somehow being effected by this.

Anyone else have something similar?

2. Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows? I have Patulous ET and ETD + Other things
      I have the same. The chirp I call an auditory nerve twitch. I feel the nerve twitching where I get the chirp sound.

I too have spasms on the same side as the chirp. My temple and sometimes my jaw twitches. Sometimes when the temple twitches I can feel it to the top of my teeth. The temple twitch stops when I clench my jaw (teeth together).

Unfortunately I think also a blood vessel is also compressing my hearing nerve as I sometime hear the sound of my blood flow. May be linked to why I get the chirp as my nerve is being compressed.

Have you tried to get a diagnosis?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WildMan

WildMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Beginning of 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      In order to get a proper diagnosis, you need to almost have a constant full blown HFS attack. Otherwise they will not take you seriously. Then you need to have a Neurosurgeon who specializes in identifying the nerve pinching too find it. Neurologists in general are not typically well trained to see this and will normally dismiss it.

4. SillyMama
      Cheerful

SillyMama Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, @WildMan and @Rafaa
      I am so sorry you're going through this.
      There is a small group of us who describe our tinnitus as chirping... and usually intermittent, which seems different from the other types of tinnitus. I have become convinced that mine is somatic, and related to tension in my jaw/neck on the side where my sound is. Stress definitely make is worse. Sometimes I can stop it by massaging my jaw joint, or I can lessen it with different types of relaxation techniques. When it's REALLY loud, it seems to make my vision jerky and it can be difficult to walk and drive.
      Mine appeared after an extremely stressful year, and I think part of it was due to starting to grind my teeth during the day. Still trying to un-learn that habit...
      Warm regards,
      Donna (aka SillyMama)

• Hug Hug x 1