Choosing the Right TRT Program

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by shenandoah, May 12, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. shenandoah

shenandoah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi Dr. Nagler,

I recently read your post contrasting TRT and Nueromonics, and felt you eloquently laid out clear advantages of TRT when executed properly. As I expressed a few days back I am definitely interested in undergoing a TRT program and would like to do so with a Doctor trained under Dr. Jastreboff (of course). I was guided to his website and found a list of all those who are in his community or association and found one doctor in Southern California on the list (http://thehearingdoctor.com/about-us-2/) . However a quick google search will generate a few doctors who claim to offer a TRT program using Jastreboff's model.
      For example (http://www.latinnitus.com/tinnitus_retraining_therapy.php)
      My question is, should I give more credence/credibility to a Doctor simply because he's in Jastrebroff's association? I've looked for reviews about TRT experiences with specific Doctors but they are so few and far between. How is someone like myself with so little understanding and zero contacts in the field to know which clinic/Doctor I should seek out? I don't expect you to know of any Doctors in the Southern California area specifically, but was just wondering if you might proffer some advice as to what method might be the best to employ in order to seek out an optimal TRT experience.
      Thank you,

Daniel

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I think the TRTA list should at best be used as a starting point. There are a number of very fine tinnitus clinicians who are not on that list, and there are some real dogs who are! (In my opinion, anyway.)

On the list or off, I wouldn't see anybody without first speaking with him or her on the phone. And, as mentioned in my Neuromonics vs TRT review, here are the questions you want answered:

· What is the approach the clinician is recommending and why?
      · What type of training has the clinician undergone in the use of that approach?
      · How long has the clinician been using the approach?
      · How many tinnitus sufferers has the clinician treated with the approach?
      · What is the clinician's success rate using the approach?
      · How does the clinician define and measure success?

What if the prospective clinician won't return your call? Well, what does that tell you about how responsive he or she will be to the rest of your needs?

Dr. Stephen Nagler