Chronic Tinnitus with Chronic Back Pain

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Michael Murray, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Michael Murray
      Conehead

Michael Murray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Sir,
      I have a high-pitch ring along with mid-pitch ring in my ears. It seems stronger in my right; which had an ear drum burst around 6 or 7.. maybe eight years old. I also had my adenoid glands removed around that time due to ear infections. I did have problems in airplanes with pain and pressure changes, but I learned how to manually clear my ears in USAF training. With the military, I was often exposed to loud sounds and lots of sand. It was after that, I really noticed the ringing. I used to get wax build up in the spring to the point of being painful, but no issues since the mid-20s. I am now 43.
      Two years ago, an audiologist checked me and provided trial hearing aids with an optional tinnitus therapy tone generator. It was awesome for me! I didn't use the tone much, but my ears felt "free". The hard part was removing them and returning them. Once removed, it felt like pressure and the tinnitus seemed so loud. I need bi-lateral aids, but I wasn't ready for the huge price. So I , very reluctantly, returned them.
      I had to focus on my back issues. I have a congenital malformity of L4-L5; which grew fused. I then developed a neck problem and now have c5-c7 fused. Now, I am suffering nerve damage and bad discs, so I tend to take pain meds, such as Cymbalta, Lyrica, Ibuprofen, Soma, and Tramadol.
      With all this going on, what do you recommend I do for my tinnitus?

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      The VA has a wonderful program called PTM ("Progressive Tinnitus Management") that was developed by a very good friend of mine, Dr. James Henry. You have so much happening in your life right now that PTM would likely be the simplest and least expensive (i.e., free!!) approach. You burn no bridges that way - and if PTM does not get you where you want to go, then TRT still remains a very viable option.

So, I'd check with the Audiology Department at the nearest VA about PTM.

You might find the following website (designed for audiologists) to be helpful:

http://www.ncrar.research.va.gov/education/documents/tinnitusdocuments/index.asp

All the best. And thank you for your service!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1