Citrus Products

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Karl, May 6, 2013.

1. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Have any of you noticed an increase in tinnitus loudness after eating citrus? Last night, after having a lemon flavored drink, my tinnitus was really loud. This really bummed me out, because I've been doing pretty good lately.

I read a book, "Tinnitus Miracle", which stated that citrus will always make tinnitus worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I eat citrus all the time. As a matter of fact, I just ate 2 oranges.....never had an issue with it

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Thanks.

Perhaps it was something else that was making my tinnitus loud. This book says that "some individuals" have worse tinnitus after eating oranges or grapefruit.

4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD

Karl,

How're you doing? I just had a three day spike--the first day reminding me of my dark, early episodes--from raspberry green tea. But it wasn't the tea. Caffeine rarely affects me either way. But the tea had "citric acid" as a top ingredient. After reading one of click's post that mentioned her avoidance of citric acid, I googled it. Citric acid can be made from many things. Citric acid that is made from corn, however, contains hydrolyzed corn starch. Anything hydrolized, I believe, has MSG in it--which is also the product of fermentation. So maybe that was it. Not the citrus, but the "citric acid" that was derived from corn.

Just guessing what spiked you. But I'm sure this is what gave me a nasty spike!

Here are some references to MSG and citric acid:

http://www.livecornfree.com/2010/04/ingredients-derived-from-corn-what-to.html
      http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Note: I can actually eat a lot of food on the MSG list, like balsamic vinegar. I've also had food with citric acid that didn't make me sick. (But I think it was real citric acid, not the cheap corn starch type). I believe it depends on how a food is processed. So it's a matter of trial-and-error if we get sick or not. Ahh...the never ending joys of tinnitus!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Hi Jazz.
      We're on vacation in Salzburg, Austria. The first week, I took my hearing aids out. Now I'm back to wearing
      them.

This is the first time I'm checking this website. I keep thinking that it's probably best to just get away from talking about tinnitus.

No, citrus acid doesn't seem to effect my tinnitus, since I started this thread. We have been drinking a local soda pop here called "Almdudler", which is apple juice and citrus. Very good drink. The Austrians have excellent food, especially their cheese and meats.

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hey Karl, enjoy Austria. Don't hang around here ;)... I used to live in Munich and would take the train to Salzburg. Beautiful part of Europe.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Erik -

All vacations come to an end....We were in Munich for almost a week, too. It is a very beautiful city. Lots of people, open markets, beer gardens, bakeries...Block after block was as busy as Times Square. It's amazing to see how much these places are thriving, compared to where I live in the US.

It would take me quite a bit of studying to become proficient in German. I crammed for two months, learning functional German. That brought my German vocabulary to the the level of a 1-2 year old German baby. With the exception, a baby would never say "Bier, bitte".

• Like Like x 1
    8. Neyma

Neyma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How about balsamic vinaigrette dressing? I have this recipe that requires this dressing but not sure if it will affect tinnitus.I get it pretty bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. kcwookie

kcwookie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My experience is difference. I'm an emergency workers and have had tinnitus that has gotten increasingly worse over the decades of my career. It has really gotten bad now that I work in communications. I'm also a diabetic and my blood sugar seems to drive my tinnitus.

One think that helps me a lot is well lemoned Ice Tea. When my head is screaming if I drink about a quarter cup of Lemon Juice or add a fair amount to my Iced Tea, my head starts to quiet within about 45 minutes. As long as I stay consistent of drinking upwards to about a half of cup, my head is 80% quieter. For me, it has been a life changer.

• Agree Agree x 1