Clicking in Ear While Jogging

Discussion in 'Support' started by Samantha R, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Everyone.

I have had tinnitus for nearly 6 months now, 7 months post partum and losing the rest of my baby weight by getting back into running and high intensity exercise.

Exercise doesn't normally spike the tinnitus, but for the second time, today, my left ear started making a clicking noise as I ran. The first time this happened, I had a spike in my left ear afterwards (my tinnitus is mostly heard in my head), so to get tinnitus so obviously in my ear really freaked me out. I calmed it down with Oxazepam and had to take my little boy to a party so just paid it no attention until later that day and it had settled.

Had this happened to anyone? Any theories? I'm sure this never happened to me pre-tinnitus.

Thanks.
      Sam.

2. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      My clicking sounds like the eustachian tube is clicking in my ear, like an inflamed pop sound. Everytime I take an ibuprofen the click stops. My clicking happens everynight after a shower towel drying my hair head motion. I got the same kind of spike youre talking about from the click. Except I get spikes from hacking too hard and hearing it thru my tube, that makes the ring louder for a day. If any of that makes sense. Earlier in my onset when the noises were really going crazy a Doctor blew on my eardrum to check for eustachian tube issues, my ear got So loud for 24hrs but went back down to normal.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Hey

I had a random clicking sound that sounded more like it was coming from my head, it started around September 2015 and the last time i heard it must of been around last April? Just don't have it at all now. It was very random and maybe happened every other day, i could be sitting at work or walking somewhere and it would happen.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hi Sam!

I am sure life is stressful taking care of kids and having tinnitus. Good to read you are getting back into working out.

In another thread Michael Leigh suggested that for some high impact cardio could affect one's tinnitus. In one sense I agree and for me taking precautions to finding the right form of cardio in an individual process.

Start slow. If you started running make sure you have good padded and support running shoes. And investigate the types of treadmills if you are working out in a gym.

If running is to high impact - After an injury - I have used an incline fast paced walk works well also. I set the incline at 20 and walk at a pace of 4.2. Nice thing about the treadmill is being able to find the right settings.

The benefits of running have saved my life. I do not nor have I ever attempted to do any type of long marathon run. At the most a couple 10ks only for fun though.

Take it slow. Warm compresses sometimes work around the neck area if your muscles are tight from stress.

It has been so long for me now I really have to remember back in 2002 how I dealt with this. I remember for a year not leaving my house or being able to drive. I took a while to get where I am today. Found what helped. Forced myself to find my old self again.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Steve Feldo

Steve Feldo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Samantha, this used to happen to me loads when I ran and it wasn't anything to worry about and didn't carry on after I'd stopped running. Sadly I now have T & H, the T gets aggravated temporarily after running, may be a blood flow thing, I'm not sure, but generally settles down as my body cools down. I have to say, the inconvenience and unpleasantness of a temporary spike is outweighed by the mood lift running gives me

• Like Like x 1
    6. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Hi @Samantha R
      I have been getting this in both ears in recent months. I have no idea if it is my ETs, jaw, or the little bones in the middle ear. I have found that if I run with my mouth wide open (not a good look) then it stops, but that is hardly a practical thing to maintain and I would rather not accidentally inhale an insect.

The first 6 months after getting T, exercise didn't cause spikes and there were no clicking sounds. The past 2 times I've been jogging I have had spikes for the rest of the day, or if running at night, the next day. Yesterday my ears were even filling up with air as I jogged, even though they usually only do that when I am exposed to increased noise levels.

I am slightly concerned not knowing what is going on and if it is making my T worse, or some other factor (of which there are a lot). My night time T is def getting worse, despite most days being relatively unobtrusive unless it's spiking or in a very quiet room.

Have you asked your ENT or anyone about it?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Sam, it sounds like TTTS.
      Magnesium deficiency? would make sense you might be a bit low as you were exercising etc

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Gman
      Interesting about your clicking. Mine has stopped, never had it again after I wrote that post.
      It didn't bother me again, some didn't bother seeing a doctor... I really wonder if they would know anyway.
      Did some high intensity treadmill work tonight and no clicking.....
      Lol on running with your mouth open!
      My tinnitus doesn't spike after exercise anymore, I think that incidence was the first and last time I had a spike after exercise.
      I think it actually settles my tinnitus....
      Exercise is the best for lifting my mood and agree that I'd do it no
      matter what it did to my tinnitus temporarily.
      My tinnitus does not bother me during the day, but becomes somewhat intrusive at night when i sit down to relax. It's definitely louder and I can hear it when listening for it over the TV.
      This has been the case for 8 months or so, so I guess I'm getting used to it somewhat.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Samantha R that is awesome that you are over it.

@DebInAustralia TTTS is typically more of a fluttering as opposed to this which is more of a sound like bones (or tubes?) clicking together.

10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      not true. mine clicks too

11. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @DebInAustralia I see. I usually get a tiny tiny flutter in my left ear when I, say, turn on a light switch in a quiet room or such. So I assumed that was TTTS and Wikipedia doesn’t mention clicking. The clicking happens with each footfall.

Can it be treated? Seems like an autonomous sensitisation/reaction to loud sounds, so both a psych and physio thing.

12. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      As far as I know its an overreaction of your TS, which can be due some form of overprotecting (like me), my ears click with any sudden sound above 90 dB.

13. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey @Gman , I found this post while searching for similar experiences and I must say, yours is the closest I've found to my own. Since about a good week, I've also been experiencing clicking in my left ear while jogging, each time I take a step and the vibrations travel up my body. Coincidentally, it also stops when I breathe through my mouth intead of nose haha.. The clicking sound, resembles the one I get when swallowing or yawning a lot (although then it will usually be multiple clicking sounds rapidly one after another).

Have you found out what this could be in the meanwhile? Mine doesn't really increase my tinnitus. I'm also just kind of wondering if I'm doing my ears any good by running with this, since it is the reason I took it up again in the first place.

14. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Mellow7. Unfortunately I quit jogging after it caused a big spike, so I don’t know for sure. It is either the ETs or ossicles. My suspicion is the latter. I do get middle ear muscle issues, so maybe it’s related.

It’s good that you don’t get spikes as a result of it. I would be careful though if it ever does. Hopefully it will go away. I miss jogging.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your answer. Yeah, I'm gonna be real careful. Sucks you had to drop it though... It's insane that the body of knowlegde, when it comes to ENT (and especially the ears), seems to be so lacking. Most of the forum members that want to solve their T, have to try to self-diagnose, because of the short-sightendness of most health care professionals. They just stick to the same old text book knowledgde and refuse a more holistic approach. When they are pressed they put up their TRT-guard and tell you to stop obsessing over it. In any case, I have complained enough.

Could I ask you whether you also have either of the following symptoms: crackling in your ears when swallowing/yawning, fullness, pain in the ear when chewing, cracking when chewing, a 'wet feeling' or clicking when pressing the cartilage of your ear (especially right under the tragus) and autophony?

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some, sure. Not the wetness you describe. That could be wax maybe (?). I do know the fullness for me is caused by the involuntary tensing of the tensor tympani muscles (I get TTTS/ASD) and it can cause autophony due to sound not being relayed to the cochlea via the ossicles.

You’re right about doctors. It’s such a shame things are like that. I used to have total trust in them, but now it’s very low.

• Like Like x 1
    17. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      @Samantha R
      A little bit of the other extreme and observation - at the least during the spike, every step in the back of your head is given a small click, such as "Tsyk."

And so, with every step in the back of the head, a "tsyk-tsyk-tsyk" is heard.

Does someone have something similar?

What is it, I can not understand, but this is clearly manifested only during the spikes. Is it the vessels or what? ..

18. Auron
      Pacman

Auron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Spring
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      I just noticed that I have this too in both ears... What does it mean? Are my ossicles both f##ked? Things just keep getting worse. So tired of this.

19. Nate531

Nate531 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax
      My ears click or crackle on demand whenever I swallow, open my mouth wide, or yawn.

Seems to had occur ever since I developed T in my ring ear.. 2.5 months ago.

Dk what to do here

20. Auron
      Pacman

Auron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Spring
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      The crackle is so common that I feel it's normal. We are probably made more aware of it since we are on high alert due to tinnitus. That's my hope at least...

The clicking has me worried as it only happens when I jump or jog/run. I really hope my ossicles aren't damaged. But I got some relief finding an old runners forums which had people who have also experience this clicking sensation as well. Some have suggested that's it's the eustachian tube opening and closing. Right not I'm trying to keep my anxiety in check.

21. Auron
      Pacman

Auron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Spring
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      Do you still have this?

Also does anyone know what could cause clicking while jogging or doing jumping jacks?Only happens when my foot/feet land...