Cochlear Implants as a Treatment of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by rogi, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Cochlear implant and tinnitus–a meta-analysis

Abstract
      Introduction
      Tinnitus is a frequent symptom in cochlear implant patients, often reported as persistent and disabling in implant candidates. Tinnitus is rarely considered in the preoperative evaluation of patients who are eligible for cochlear implantation. Many studies have shown that a cochlear implant leads to a significant change in the perception of tinnitus.

Objective
      To identify evidence in the scientific literature indicating that cochlear implant in eligible patients with tinnitus can improve tinnitus perception.

Methods
      One hundred forty articles were found from nine databases, and 20 articles from the gray literature mentioned the relationship between cochlear implant and tinnitus perception in patients eligible for cochlear implant. The PICOS (population, intervention, comparison, and outcome) strategy, was used to define the eligibility criteria. The studies that met the inclusion criteria for this second step were included in a qualitative synthesis, and each type of study was analyzed using the Joanna Briggs Institute critical appraisal checklist for quasi-experimental studies and the Joanna Briggs Institute critical appraisal checklist for randomized clinical trials.

Results
      The full texts of 11 articles were read, and 6 studies were selected for the meta-analysis. The total sample size in the evaluated articles was 136 patients with tinnitus who were eligible for cochlear implantation.

Conclusions
      Taken together, these findings support the feasibility of cochlear implantation to reduce the perception of tinnitus, thus providing a new perspective in the treatment of tinnitus in patients with hearing loss who are candidates for cochlear implantation.

Attached Files:

2. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Are there any studies that include hybrid high frequency cochlear implants?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    3. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Has anyone heard of a patient being offered a cochlear implant as a treatment for severe tinnitus and sound sensitivity without profound hearing loss? Might sound like a strange question for most of you but I think some of you will understand.

• Good Question Good Question x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      When I asked my ENT if there was a "last resort" treatment, no matter how extreme it was, she brought up Cochlear Implants but in the same moment pointed out that it would likely yield worse hearing, and worse tinnitus, in cases like ours who doesn't have profound hearing loss. I know it isn't the answer you sought, just my 2 cents.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Yes, you are probably right. For sure worse hearing and a small possibility of less tinnitus.

6. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      Other doctors say tinnitus will be reduced by 75% due to a cochlear implant, and yes the hearing may be different or may become close to normal like before after a year. It’s all up in the air.

@Gb3, you can get a cochlear implant with single-sided deafness with moderate to severe hearing loss with tinnitus.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I thought a cochlear implant destroys what is left in the cochlea and makes everything into a flat robot voice.

The new Tinnitus Talk Podcast discusses this. The researcher talked about playing with the impulse of someone’s cochlear implant until they could make the tinnitus go away. Like entirely away. I think they said it came back when it was turned off after a couple hours.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      If you think about it, a cochlear implant, at a fully advanced, perfected version, could be the solution to all hearing disorders as it could completely overwrite the cochlea. But currently, it's a very destructive, barbaric option for anyone who has better than profound hearing loss.

I wonder if technology can advance and somehow cochlear implants may not destroy what is left in the cochlea and kind of work synergistically with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      A cochlear implant is considered for the patient when a hearing aid is no longer of value. If a hearing aid is useless and word recognition is very poor, you either stay deaf or choose to get a cochlear implant. Without restorative advances in medicine, there just aren't many choices.

10. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      This is already occurring at present.

Pretty much there are two main aspects being assessed right now to improve this.

The first is that there's tonnes of effort/research/work being done to preserve hearing in cochlear implant candidates. Currently there has been some major improvement in this and people are not losing residual hearing as regularly as happened previously.

Secondly there is currently research into methods to improve the outcomes with a cochlear implant including looking at new designs etc to improve their benefits.
      It does all come down to your benefit from hearing aids as to whether you would be able to obtain a cochlear implant. Currently there have been many candidates who have either obtained significant reductions or eliminated tinnitus through the receipt of the cochlear implant.

11. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To be honest, I haven't followed cochlear implant research closely (or at least not as close as the tinnitus research), but I don't think there is a cochlear implant yet, that doesn't destroy the cochlea in some way. For people with no hearing loss at all, it's absolutely insane to go for a cochlear implant in hopes of diminishing tinnitus and given what cochlear implants currently offer.

I may be wrong though, but a cochlear implant is an option when the ear is pretty much deaf.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      They have hybrid high frequency ones.

13. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Now then, are these the hybrid cochlear implants? I was in a Twitter conversation with a doctor who said these are aimed at those with severe to profound hearing loss at high frequencies and do not interfere with the lower frequencies. Basically they do not trash the parts of the cochlear that still work well.

14. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Is this in relation to SENS-401, currently in Phase 2?

15. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Large review and right up to date!
      Cochlear implants also reduce hyperacusis as mentioned in the review paper.

Short- and Long-Term Effect of Cochlear Implantation on Disabling Tinnitus in Single-Sided Deafness Patients: A Systematic Review

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
    17. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      I was wondering, why are doctors allowed to tell patients there are no treatments, given cochlear implants?

A small preamble; although it should be said that nothing is guaranteed, and there's a small number of patients (10% if I'm correct) who have experienced an increase in tinnitus, it's become quite obvious that cochlear implants improve or eliminate tinnitus in most cases (80-90%). From where I'm coming from, those are pretty good chances for someone suffering from severe tinnitus, and skepticism about Susan Shore's device, its efficacy, and its timeline, is where I'm coming from, despite what anyone says.

To say that there is no effective treatment for tinnitus is simply false, and to mislead patients in this way should entitle them their money back. My doctors have stood by that mantra as recently as October. When the ENT I visited eight years ago told me that there is not much that can be done about it, their lack of knowledge might have been forgivable. But today that's just insincere, or unprofessional. I don't know exactly how invasive cochlear implants are, or if they're worth it for patients with mild tinnitus, but if doctors can legally get away with saying there is no effective treatment for tinnitus, then in my opinion they should be exposed. Disagree?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Yeah, maybe you should research first... Cochlear implants destroy any residual hearing, so obviously no doctor in this world is going to do the surgery on you just because of tinnitus if you don't have mega severe hearing loss to go with it that can't be fixed with hearing aids. And this is why cochlear implant is not a treatment option. It doesn't matter if you're OK with your residual hearing being gone and relying solely on the cochlear implant, it's how the world works, natural hearing isn't destroyed for this reason. You can't blame doctors for not telling about something that no doctor anywhere will perform unless you meet the strict criteria for the cochlear implant.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      So it's better to suffer indefinitely until Dr. xxxxx comes and saves us rather than asking people to talk a bit louder to you and actually being able to work and pursue a career normally? (Who knows if Dr. Shore might not still have a long way to go, IF it even works well.) Excuse me, I don't believe 'how the world works' should be used for an argument for cruelty.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      The issue here is they are only likely to improve tinnitus if you have severe-profound hearing loss. Is this what you have @Fightthearmy?

21. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      If you are profoundly deaf, a Cochlear Implant may give you better hearing, hence improving tinnitus. If you already have okay hearing and are given a Cochlear Implant, which destroys that natural hearing, chances are you will be off with worse hearing than when you started, hence you'll likely get worse tinnitus. That's the reason why it's not considered a treatment, because most people are not profoundly deaf.

22. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are just ignoring the obvious here. Apart from the fact that no doctor will do the operation if you don't have profound hearing loss, it would be stupid to go destroy your hearing with a cochlear implant because you may end up with worse tinnitus. The way it's done is almost like having a controlled traumatic cochlea injury and that rapid loss of hearing is exactly what can cause bigger tinnitus.

Now, if you already have no hearing in that ear and you have tinnitus, then you've got nothing to lose getting a cochlear implant. Also, cochlear implants only give you a limited band of frequencies of hearing, so I imagine if they don't resolve the tinnitus via their electrical signal going off or something, it would be a lot harder (or impossible) to use masking if the tinnitus is out of that band of frequencies.

23. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I do not see how a cochlear implant is going to fix tinnitus... makes no sense at all.

24. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      You don’t need profound hearing loss for a cochlear implant. They changed the parameters.

25. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I've looked into hybrids and reviews are not great. Basically even though the array is shorter, many still lose low frequency hearing. Then the electrode array is too short to amplify the low frequencies.

My unilateral severe profound hearing loss starts somewhere between 3000 - 4000 Hz and continues through to 8000 Hz.

26. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      They’re not meant to amplify the low frequencies. They are for high frequency hearing loss. They are actually doing a lot of studies right now on how to implant them without damaging the cochlea by means of a robot assisted surgery.

The standard has been changed for regular cochlear implants too.

• Like Like x 1
    27. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Are there any studies showing the efficacy of hybrid cochlear implant on tinnitus? I might be willing to give up some of my high range hearing in one ear if it could quiet down the tinnitus.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    28. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I take your point. Problem is you ask an ENT and they only know what's available now. Hybrids are not used here in the UK because once you lose low frequency hearing, there are no electrodes deep enough to work.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      No, I don't have significant hearing loss. Look, I get it, I should read up on the subject, but am currently very busy.
      I don't know about you guys, but masking makes my tinnitus more acute once it's been switched off. Some hyperacusis, maybe.

30. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      If that were true, years ago all tinnitus sufferers would have had a cochlear implant.

No, what you say is not true at all, but if you believe it, it's not that difficult to convince an otolaryngologist to operate on you. Get a cochlear implant and tell us. When you have hearing loss and tinnitus, the mere fact of recovering your hearing makes the tinnitus less noticeable, it is a form of camouflage, not a cure. Listen to music and you will have the same result.