Coming to Grips with Tinnitus Caused by Shooting AR-15 and Glock

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Liui7, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Liui7

Liui7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Hi there...

I found this forum from researching the internet to find out what has happened to me. Anyway here is my story...

I went to an outdoor shooting range with a friend whilst on Holiday. I was given ear plugs and placed them in my ears before I started. I had never shot before and fired off approx 200 rounds using a Glock and also an AR-15. At no point whilst shooting for that 30 minutes did I experience any pain or discomfort, nor did I think it was excessively loud (bearing in mind I had plugs in).

As soon as I finished and came away from the range my ears started ringing quite loudly and I had a fullness feeling in my ears and could not hear people talk properly. I just thought this was normal maybe due to the loud sound exposure I had experienced. I just thought it would go away after a few hours, similar to when you maybe go to a nightclub and you get the same feeling when you come away from loud music.

Well 3 weeks have now passed and I'm still experiencing loud tinnitus constantly. I have been to my doctor who says he cannot see any damage to my drum and performed some basic tests which he says are normal. Anyway he has referred me to an ENT with the appointment in 8 days time for a hearing test etc. I am currently off work as hearing is crucial for the role I do. My hearing has slightly improved since day 0 but I am currently having difficulty with the TV and also high frequencies. Background noise from driving etc is also very noisy.

I have experienced the full range of emotions since this occurred, from despair through to anger, thinking will I ever be able to live a normal life again. I am so stressed by it all. Will I make any sort of recovery?

Thanks for reading and any sort of response will be greatly appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Liui7 I'd start with NAC 600 mg and 200 mg magnesium. See the thread below. It might help calm any inflammation caused by the noise exposure. You could take these twice a day for a few weeks; but then reduce to once a day. You don't want to overload your system either.

You are still early into this and I'd ask the ENT if he'd consider a brief round of oral steroids. They won't hurt you and they might help you.

And if you're still ringing, download some nature sounds or use the masking sounds from this site. The latter are very good and convenient when you're on the computer. It's important you keep masking sounds on 24/7. This is also preven ent your from focusing on your noise. If you have a smart phone, there are many free apps with nature sounds or white noise. I prefer water sounds, but white and pink noise are also good.

This is one of the best. They have one app for white, pink, and brown noise; and they have another app with rain sounds. Don't play the sounds loudly; they should be background noise.

There's lots of good advice on the site, everything from sleeping to supplements that help with tinnitus.

You're early into the tinnitus and that's the best news. Most people's noise goes away within six months. But I'd be as proactive as possible. And, if possible, see if you qualify for the AM 101 trial. That's the best thing for acute tinnitus.

Good luck and keep us posted!:)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Liui7

Liui7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Thanks for all your advice.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Liui7

Liui7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Hey...

I thought I would post an update as I struggle to battle my tinnitus 5 weeks on.

I had some bad news at the ENT as he told me I had likely lost 30 to 40 percent of my hearing. Devastated. I had hearing aids fitted already. The tinnitus still continues to be so so loud in both ears. I can barely function during the day. I was prescribed sleeping tablets by the GP but they don't seem to help. Not eating much as so depressed and on antidepressants.

I need some help, even if it's just to help me sleep.

5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      If your tinnitus is so intrusive that sleeping tablets do not work, then you definitely have severe tinnitus. You should have been prescribed a course of steriods in your case (without question). Steroids are most effective during the first 24/48 hours after onset when tinnitus is caused by acoustic trauma that results in hearing loss (these are the 3 conditions). However, since your tinnitus is so severe, I would - if I were you - try to find an ENT and perhaps have a go at intratympanic steroid injections.

Alternatively, look into the AM101 clinical trial. The results are not perfect - far from - but it is worth a try.

Act with haste and determination.

6. Danza
      Fine

Danza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      @Liui7 I am so sorry to hear this. With tinnitus we have to take baby steps. It is important that you get some sleep, go back to your doctor as many times it takes - and also try to eat. Give your ears time to rest and get better.

I have had tinnitus for 7 months and my situation is much better that in the beginning. I wrote on my introduction thread all the things that helped me. Did some masking during the nights. I still take Melatonin also. (I did HBO, took Betaserc, vitamins etc).

You are not alone! Hang in there!

7. Jrblovsky

Jrblovsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Christmas 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NOISE/Menieres Who knows
      I wonder what happened to this poster. I have the shit from the same thing. 1/10 of the rounds he fired and I actually have worse hearing loss. I feel for this poster so badly. No one should have to deal with this, especially when you use hearing protection.