Conference Weekend and a Slight Slap Over the Ear — New Tone and Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fangen, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hello all!

I was at a work conference this weekend, it was 250 people going and you can imagine it got pretty damn loud during lunch, dinner and etc. I used my plugs almost all the time besides when I was in my room, early mornings where it was very little people around in the lobby and I felt OK with my plugs in. If it got really loud I'd excuse myself and relocate to a quieter place but of course, it was not always possible, however, the loudness didn't bother me too much due to my plugs.

I did feel a slight spike on Sat morning (we got there on Fri morning) and it was not something that bothered me as I had some alcohol and also slept only 4-5 hours at best. During Sat evening, we were celebrating by having a nice dinner, it was still loud in that room since we sat 250 people in the same room, I left after 2 hours or so and took a break in my room, rest of night was with karaoke and a small "club" in the hotel. I didn't attend any of these (was down in the "club" for 20 min but left when it seemed to get louder) - even with plugs.
      I was out in the main lobby and it was pretty crowded, someone accidentally turned around very quickly and sort of slapped the side of my face and a bit over my ear pretty hard (not fully on the ear around half), I got both surprised and worried as I know there have been member here who's T was trigged from or got worsened by slap/hit/kick over the ear.

Today I have a new tone in my ear and a spike, I haven't slept as much as I should over the weekend (and was pretty tired already during last week), been drinking some alcohol (2-3 drinks per evening, not a lot in other words) and not sure if that is causing my T spike or if it was something with the "slap"?

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness

Drinking and tinnitus usually don't mix well at all. All it can do is annoy your tinnitus and possibly give spikes. I drink some wine at times, but it's at a limited quantity.

I was training in my martial arts class about 2 months ago and my teacher asks me to demonstrate a technique with him. I am one of his highest ranked students and the taz devil in his class :)

Anyways, I had no idea what he was going to do and he accidentally slapped my very hard with the palm of his hand in my left ear. This is my bad ear. After I was slapped, tons of thoughts popped into my head. Am I going to lose more hearing? Possibly a new baseline for my tinnitus?

All of this just stayed with me for 5 minutes and I resumed back into my training. Afterwards (1-2 days later), I had no new tones and my hearing was the same. I managed to control my fear and remain calm and it goes a long way , when it comes to tinnitus.

I am not advising anyone to do martial arts or be like me. All I am saying is that fear/anxiety at times are worst than actual sounds/impact. At times does not mean all the time, so do try to keep your fears/anxiety in check :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      d
      Glad to hear that you were able to shake it off and that you feel better about it! Yesterday (this happened late Sat evening) I didn't really give it thought at all as I knew I slept poorly and had been drinking. On my way home I did reflect it seemed a bit louder in However, today I woke up with a screaming right ear (kind of funny because I have had so many problems with my left one so far) and I plugged my ears out of curiosity to see what ear it really was in, and I heard the new tone. I never plug my ears to check for it unless it is spiking and try to figure out what ear is the one with the spike. So I don't think it is so much due to anxiety, as my reaction so far has been "hmmm that is really weird", followed by "did I do something weird lately?"

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Was this a temporary spike?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes it was, it tooks a few weeks but it went down to normal.

• Like Like x 2