Consequences of Gun Shots: Tinnitus and Jaw Pops/Clicks When Opening My Mouth

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Josh27, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Josh27

Josh27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Shot
      So here is my story. I recently was exposed to a couple of gun shots without hearing protection.

First shot I was beside of it and it was loud, so the next shot I covered my ears.

The last shot I shot the gun (AR-15 .223) myself and did not use hearing protection and it was really loud especially in my left ear (the one pointing towards the muzzle).

After shooting I noticed a fullness feeling in my left ear and thought it would go away with time. The next day, around 24 hours later, I noticed a ringing in my ear and it hasn’t quit.

It’s been 4 weeks since the incident and I still have ringing.

I have noticed that when I bite my teeth together or when I’m chewing food the ringing gets really loud and it’s high pitched.

My left side of my jaw also pops or clicks when I open my mouth. It didn’t do this before the gun shot.

So I’m curious... I have a dentist appointment next month. Should I bring up the ringing in my ears and the popping of my jaw? Is there anything the dentist can do for it?

I now know to use hearing protection always.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      This is normal. The terminology is "somatic tinnitus" where jaw/neck movements temporarily increase the loudness and/or pitch your tinnitus.
      This is really weird. Did the gun's recoil somehow hit your jaw or cause some damage?
      I would ask your dentist about it. Why not... nothing to lose by asking!

Are you planning to continue shooting high caliber guns like AR-15?
      Even with DOUBLE (earplugs + muffs) hearing protection, you place yourself at risk for further damage. You don't want your tinnitus to get worse!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Josh27

Josh27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Shot
      No, I believe the recoil wasn’t the cause. My right shoulder took most of the recoil, and AR’s don’t have that much recoil compared to other guns.
      Yes, I would like to return to shooting in the future with double ear protection.