Considering Getting Custom Earplugs Made and Getting Back Into Live Music

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elrich, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Elrich

Elrich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Live Music
      As the title states, I've been calling audiologists and getting prices on how much it'd cost to get custom earplugs made, which from what I've heard, are all around better than foam earplugs. There are a few reasons why I've put this off. Regarding background information, I've had tinnitus since late 2009 due to attending a live concert and since then I've used some form of hearing protection in any loud environment. I went to concerts still after this, but back in 2014 it spiked, causing me to quit going to shows, quit playing music, and let my parents know about my problem. I feel like earplugs helped, but ultimately weren't 100% safe, just a deterrent for further damage. With this in mind, I've heard people say that custom earplugs simply weren't worth the price since theres only so much an earplug can block and the quality difference isn't worth it.

Now onto my current upcoming problem. My brother jumped the gun and bought us tickets for an upcoming show (months early, no sign of selling out, I have no idea why) and I don't think there's a refund available. Having missed 2 of my all time favorite bands earlier this year, missing this band would hardly phase me in comparison, so if it wasnt for him jumping the gun I would have passed, but now that he bought them I'm considering going. Sorry this is long winded, its a bit of a frustrated rant, and at the end of the day I know what most people will say, "are you willing to risk living with the damage at the expense of a few hours of fun?".

2. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I don't think custom plugs reduce noise better than the best foam plugs like the moldex meteors at 33db - when put in deep

Maybe those are more comfortable for extended use but a few hours of concert shouldn't make a big difference and of course the sound will be better than foam plugs since you can put filters at the expense of noise reduction

I'd go with foam plugs and ear muffs over it so you get about 38db NRR - USA scale - of reduction

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I attend indoor & outdoor concerts but make sure I bring earplugs and don't sit too close to the stage.

4. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Go, have fun. I've hit a good few shows this year. All metal. Corrosion of Conformity, Slayer, Flotsam and Jetsam. I'm fine.

Just roll with the foam earplugs, don't stand close to the stage.

5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Whats the point of wearing foam plugs to a concert as they will just make the music sound muffled when i have used them. I use the alpine musicians ear plugs.

6. Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just prefer them. Simple. I do what makes me feel comfortable.

7. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      In my experience( an some others) ear plugs dont stop further damage...thry just give false sense of security.

8. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I've just bought a pair of alpine ear plugs. On top of that it is pretty expensive, I am sure it's not so effective for noise reduction, compared to foam plugs. But anyway i'll give it a try... hope that it will not cause problems..
      Allways used just simply crumpled tissue, or later foam plugs when attended concerts and it seemed to be ok. Sound muffled of course, but no big problem to me.

9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Na they dont reduce as much as foam but i find that foam muffles the music to a point where its not worth being there.

10. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Foam earplugs just blocks sound. Musican earplugs takes sounds and lowers it all to the same level. If anything, I would wear headphones over earplugs just to be safe. Earplugs does not protect from bone conductive sound and cochlea sound damage. Go at your own risk.

11. squeek

squeek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise impact/maybe seaborn
      Bobby is right. I've bought custom earplugs and they are not better than foam earplugs. Custom earplugs, by design, allow sound in.

In practice, they cut bass and allow high frequency to pass through. So if you have high pitch tinnitus then custom ear plugs will do nothing for you.

12. Greg Clarke

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't find that they muffle the music too badly. It's not only about the music though, it's about getting out doing normal things, seeing friends having a good time. Anything that helps forget about your Tinnitus is good.

The alpine earplugs don't offer enough protection for me (I have high pitched Tinnitus) I'd rather be at the show even if it is slightly muffled.

• Agree Agree x 1