Contrast Dyes for CT Scans

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, May 10, 2018.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any information regarding the dyes used for CT scans.

Need renal done with and without contrast, and concerned that CT dye could cause a spike or worsened tinnitus. (I know there are no hard and fast answers.)

My doc ordered both with and without, but I think I can refuse the contrast the day of the test if I decide against it.

Wanted to get some input from folks here as to any literature (or links, or personal experience) with CT contrast dye and any possible effects on tinnitus. I did speak to someone at the MDs office about it, but they didn't seem to know anything about it.

Thanks,

Mystery Reader

2. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss / ETD
      Hi! I recently had a CT scan of my head with contrast dye last month. Results showed nothing wrong.

But as for my experience it was for the most part positive. I'm a very anxious person so I was surprised by how easy it went for me. It is definitely not as loud as an MRI. The contrast dye is weird bc when it goes in it literally heats your entire body up from head to toe. It's a very weird sensation but it's over in a matter of seconds. They told me after the test to drink lots of water to help my system flush the dye out. I didn't experience any side effects. Didn't affect my T but I was taking an antidepressant at the time that kept my T low.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am up for a CT in a week. I have severe H.... how bad was the sound? What kind of sound does it make?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      As a CT technologist and T sufferer I can tell you first hand that the contrast does not have effect on T. The CT is not as noisy as a MRI by any means, you just hear the tube spinning up. If you have earplugs in you wont even notice it

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Can I use earmuffs? They look a bit more spacey than MRI

6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      If you are having a CT of your head then I would not use ear muffs because the metal can cause streaking artifact in the pictures. Foam ear plugs are fine.

• Useful Useful x 1