Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Any time I get a URI or bad cold / illness, I grit my teeth a little bit about my hearing. You can do some common sense things to try to keep infection out of your eustachian tube but it mostly boils down to fluids, sleeping with your neck up, and all the stuff people do to avoid getting more blocked and miserable than they have to when ill.

At a glance the paper makes a good case that specific damage is occurring following COVID; the damage in asymptomatic cases is the thing that makes me raise my eyebrow the most, since that's not a common feature of most illnesses, as far as I know. I have seen some theories that a lot of cases of SSNHL are of viral origin that doesn't cause other symptoms.
      All we can do is see what happens over the next weeks / months. I've had severe influenzas that have caused me ear problems for weeks to months before.

I am sorry for your loss.

3. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Don't you find it to be at least a little odd that we are all gathered here in a support group, bemoaning the reports of Jastreboff and ENTs who don't understand hidden hearing loss, yet you are insulting people in Facebook groups as a source for medical data? What if someone said your tinnitus wasn't real because a doctor said so and because you were sharing your story on Tinnitus Talk? I've gotten to the point where I basically never doubt people's observations about their own medical problems. Honestly, I think it's great that these people are providing data.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Alexandor Scott

Alexandor Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm telling you to use reports from people that suffer from tinnitus as your source. In this particular instance, those people just so happen to be using FB as the platform that enables them to communicate with one another. Not sure what that has to do with fb/yt/Twitter censorship, seeing as how FB is not censoring their group.

5. Alexandor Scott

Alexandor Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well, it's pretty well accepted that covid can attack just about any and every organ system in the body. Take a look at this research published by docs from Columbia university. Maybe it's the bloodflow issues covid causes that leads to hearing issues? Who knows. I guess only time will tell. I sincerely hope that you're right though, and we dont see too many more new/worsened tinnitus cases.
      https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0968-3

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    7. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      We know that many people who supposedly get COVID-19 don't know they have it and probably a much smaller percentage (let's assume) they get really sick. So, that's probably required for these Facebook people to have hearing loss from a supposed COVID-19 infection. We would have to believe that they all decided to take a hearing test after getting sick with COVID-19 (after quarantine and recovering) with worse results than last time and then compared notes.

Sorry, not buying what you're/they're selling.

8. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi Bill,

What do you think about the increase of healthcare worker deaths attributed to the virus in a coronavirus hotspots?

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've read many stories about the medical staff not being provided with masks.
      https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/934381
      I guess some of them have serious preexisting conditions and so of course it was dangerous for them to be around multiple COVID-19 patients.

I am now watching the ratio of daily new cases vs. daily new deaths (see the charts at the link below)
      https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
      Note that the second wave peak for the new cases is higher than the peak for the first wave, but thus far we are not seeing this for the daily deaths. I realize that there is a 2-3 week delay, but the daily new cases had exceeded its old peak around June 26. I wish the MSM were to point this out.

10. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Thanks for your response,
      Stay safe.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      EeHoHZAXsAQN_4u?format=png&name=large.png
      The fraction that die is 572/77685 = 0.00736 = 0.736%
      I would imagine that in any group of people, a small fraction of people aren't in good health...

• Like Like x 2
    13. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Bill Bauer
      From association, 2 hospitals in my area, although all 12 hospitals in my area are having the same problems.
      ER waiting rooms are not large enough for proper distancing.
      Staff and patients are not using double layers of protection.

2 General practice doctors that I know of, have seen a tripling of pulsatile tinnitus from hypertension - raising blood pressure. Most of these patients are older with vein and artery atherosclerosis, and now some have been diagnosed with kidney damage, abdominal aortic aneurysms, visual concerns and floaters.

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is surprising that we don't see any testimonials about it. I also wonder whether these cases tend to be permanent or temporary...

• Like Like x 1
    15. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have seen many articles that mention COVID-19 and hypertension, but only one article that included pulsatile tinnitus.

Most doctors know very little about the connections of hypertension and pulsatile tinnitus. Many times they will say it just your ears and tell you to forget about it. They may order a MRI or CT of the head, but a MRA or angiogram of the neck and head (cerebral) is needed. All tests should be read by an interventional radiologist. Other tests may be needed, including a CBC and urine, echocardiogram, angiogram of abdominal aortic, doppler of kidneys, doppler of veins and arteries in legs and eye exams.

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is MRA safer/quieter than MRI, as far as tinnitus is concerned? (Many people get tinnitus as a result of having an MRI done.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Both are loud and noise blocking headphones can't be used for a neck or head study, only ear plugs. CTs and angiograms have radiation, but angiograms have less radiation than a CT. Angiograms can damage blood vessels and kidneys.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Nothing to do with COVID-19.

Before COVID-19, there were several posters here talking about eye floaters and other health problems. COVID-19 is being blamed on everything now. Even cats are getting it. I am tired of the BS and lies.

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    20. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    22. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, the 2018 flu, which killed 35,000 people in 12 months, is somehow "similar or worse" to COVID which in 2020 has already killed 150,000 people in half that and current estimates are 180-200 by labor day. That's quite an idea.

I think "most states" is doing some heavy lifting here, and I would also say "wait six months, because we're nowhere near herd immunity and are seeing exponential growth in multiple places including places that had dodged earlier outbreaks".

Why are some people are so bent on trying to make comparisons to influenza when it's been clear for months that we're talking about something for which there is no vaccine, which has a mortality rate which is 5x what the flu's is even in the most conservative analysis, and which appears to do long term damage to various organ systems in some percentage of cases including cases which are otherwise nearly asymptomatic?

There's all kinds of conversations we could have about how many people it's okay to kill with COVID vs how much stimulus spending is reasonable to keep the economy staggering along in the mean time, but anything with the word "flu" in it at this point is just... completely not science based, and always a result of arguments being made in bad faith. The goalposts keep moving. First the "just a flu" people said this would maybe kill 30,000. Then Trump said if he kept it under 60,000 he was doing an "amazing job". Then we crossed 100,000 and places started opening back up.

People who lack a college education in the US are more than four times as likely to oppose mask use as people who have a degree; republicans are 27 times as likely as democrats. I am not aware of any other second world countries which have politicized this issue to this dramatic extent.

In the time since the first "just a flu, bro" arguments were made, this thing has killed 5 normal flu years worth of people. It has left many more with cardiac and lung issues of unknown prognosis. It's also a uniquely social problem -- people can protect themselves to some extent with relatively expensive n95 setups (and this is what we do, given our specific risk profile). However, if everyone would just wear cheap cloth/paper masks indoors and in dense public, that would be sufficient to reach eradictation levels within ~10-12 viral propagation cycles, and also allow for a much greater degree of "life as normal" right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Brainwashed people are more likely to support mask use. Big surprise.

People who support mask use are more likely to be hysterical and react violently to those not wearing a mask than vice versa.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ow-covid-19-less-lethal-last-two-flu-seasons/

Many people can not even tell they have COVID-19 (apparently) and we are supposed to believe death statistics after all the inflated numbers.

24. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
    25. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I wore ear plugs and headphones for several abdominal MRIs over a few yr period. Never had an issue with my ears or my T.

• Like Like x 1
    26. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Surprised to see so many people on this forum in particular still equating this with the flu or a cold or some kind of conspiracy. I know several people who have gotten this including my girlfriend's daughter....who still doesn't have her full taste after three months. This is not a typical cold or flu for a number of people and even asymptomatic people are showing nasty things on heart scans. There is even an MLB pitcher with cardiomyopathy.

https://theprint.in/health/78-of-re...ed-cardiac-effects-study-in-jama-says/470650/

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The flu can also have devastating side effects.

This might be marginally deadlier than the flu. The point is that there was no reason ruining the economy and the lives of hundreds of millions (or even billions) of people. Some travel restrictions and masks should have been more than enough of a response.

28. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Nonsense.

Even the CDC concedes most people don't even know they have it. How is it lethal if that is the case? Also, it's reported that asymptomatic people rarely pass it to others. Most of the time, there's another medical condition involved but COVID-19 will be blamed. You are believing a lot of propaganda.

29. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Stats in my area show this is 5 times deadlier than the flu. Hardly just marginal.
      I also know people who work in hospitals. It was God awful in March and April in my area. If there were not shutdowns, there would have been people dying in parking lots and homes. You wouldn't have had much in the way of hospitals as we know it. When people refuse to do "the right thing" (social distancing, mask, staying home as much as possible, etc.) shutdowns is what happens. You have millions of incredibly reckless people in this country with no respect for others and I can only imagine how badly this will get in the fall - I expect full shutdowns yet again. A vaccine is the only hope in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you happen to live in one of the states where the nursing homes were forced to take in COVID-19 patients (e.g., New York)?
      Are you sure? Sweden's experience seems to contradict this hypothesis. Yes, they've had marginally more cases than Finland (where they had a lock-down). But now Sweden is less likely to experience that second wave, as they are closer to herd immunity. If you remember, back in March we were told that the lock downs were not about reducing the total number of people who get COVID-19, it was about flattening the curve. Most hospitals around the country remained half empty. It is Now clear that without a lock down those hospitals could have easily handled the extra patients. So the lock downs have likely been pointless.

Perhaps the lock downs in New York might have made sense. Also, of course all of the low-cost measures (e.g., masks, everyone who can easily work from home working from home, etc.) make sense. But what we have been experiencing is equivalent to what you would expect survivors of a plague that wiped out 70% of the population would want to implement. Insanity!