Could All Along My Tinnitus Have Been Caused by Eustachian Tube Problems?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ganga66, Apr 5, 2019.

1. ganga66

ganga66 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sarcoidosis
      Has anyone else had experience of the following: years ago I was diagnosed with tinnitus in the right side only, it has been 24/7 since and at times so bad I've felt desperate. Audiologist discharged me after various tests including a MRI scan and fitting a hearing aid which at best did nothing and at times made the tinnitus worse, basically I was made to feel that I wasn't trying to help myself.

I'll now come to the point, I have always suffered from sinusitis but for the last 3 weeks I have had a severe upper respiratory infection, constant running nose, sinus pain, sneezing, a hacking cough and a really painful sore throat. I am constantly blowing my nose and trying to clear the mucus from my throat. Now my tinnitus has all but disappeared, I have to consciously listen for it and then it is so low it's hardly noticeable.

My question is could the tinnitus have been a problem with my eustachian tubes all along and will it return? Thoughts please.

2. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ganga66

ganga66 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sarcoidosis
      Thank you, neither my GP nor audiologist has ever explained the link.

4. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      When you are plugged up it can amplify your tinnitus. Now that you are not, it is quieter. Just happened to me. I was sick for 3+ weeks, tinnitus was pretty loud. Now my ears have cleared and tinnitus is much lower.

• Like Like x 1
    5. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      You're welcome. Have they put you on cortosteroids, etc.? Some other things that help with me are steaming with essential oils. I have a Mabis Steamer Inhaler and use lavender, tea tree, ginger patchouli, eucalyptus, and spearmint. Not all at once, but mix up two or three, not all of them at the same time. Use only one or two drops of each. Do in a seperate room if you have pets, some oils can harm them. I steam a couple of times a day to help the cortosteroid help break up the infection in my infected eustachian. I also drink Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 teaspoons in 8 ounces of water, flavoured with honey a couple or three times a day. Make sure it has "Mother" on the label, otherwise it is pasturized and filtered and won't work.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    6. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Maybe you have patulous eustachian tube where it’s stuck open and now that you have this cold you're all clogged up in your head and that’s closed the tube?