Could Fixation Lead to More Fleeting Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa123, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Lisa123
      Overworked

Lisa123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Could it be possible that because of my increased attention to T lately that it sparks some some sort of mechanism in my brain by allowing more fleeting tinnitus pass the filter barrier? Past couple of weeks i get like 2-3 fleeting tinnitus "attacks" a day. This made me worried. Is my T worsening?

2. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

Based on my own experience, I think that your worrying, which causes anxiety, is the problem. I can tell you that prolonged anxiety often exacerbates a T condition.

If your T is not severe, I would suggest that you try not to obsess about it becoming worse. It's better to just try and accept the fact that there will be good days and bad days with T. When I'm having a bad day, I just reassure myself that tomorrow will probably be better. And it usually is. However, I am not speaking for those unfortunate people that have severe T 24/7.

If your T level is usually moderate, paying too much attention to it is not helpful. You've heard the saying, "If you feed it, it will grow. If you starve it, it will die." Focusing too much attention on your T is "feeding" the problem by causing anxiety.