Could NSAIDs and Other Glutamate Receptor Antagonists Help After Noise Exposure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Philip83, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      I've been doing some casual research about whether or not anti-inflammatory medicines might help in the acute phase after noise exposure. Looking here at the forum, the information that I've found is a bit conflicting.

To me, if the death of hair cells is caused by Glutamate toxicity and inflammation, wouldn't it make a lot of sense for a Glutamate receptor antagonist and anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen to be very helpful to stop this process?

Instead I read here on the forum vague claims about NSAIDs being potentially harmful to the ears. Are there any clinical evidence of this?

I found these two reports relating to the matter (second one is even about tinnitus):

Ibuprofen protects dopaminergic neurons against glutamate toxicity in vitro

Glutamate receptor antagonists for tinnitus

However, I don't see any results on the second study. Am I missing something?

EDIT:

Here's another one:

Effects of NSAIDs on the Inner Ear: Possible Involvement in Cochlear Protection

2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      NSAID ototoxicity is not well understood (it's possibly vascular) but epidemiologic studies see a link with NSAID use and susceptibility to hearing loss after chronic use:

Analgesic Use and the Risk of Hearing Loss in Men

Could it be safe in smaller doses with a short course? I don't know but enough people here have reported spikes that I would definitely be wary.

• Helpful Helpful x 2