Could the "Reddit Cure for Tinnitus" Cause Hyperacusis/Tinnitus Through the Occlusion Effect?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Frizz, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Frizz
      Confused

Frizz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Elephant ear washer (Ear syringing)
      Hey everyone, sorry for the trouble. This may seem like a long-winded question as well as a just straight up crazy one, but it's something that's been on my mind the last few days.

A week ago from today, I was having panic attacks pretty much every second I was awake, and was becoming increasingly desperate and fixated on my symptoms. Yes I know, anxiety isn't healthy, but with all my other mental issues it just sort of began to snowball on itself, no matter how hard I tried. So in my infinite wisdom, even knowing it was probably a stupid idea, I tried out that "Reddit cure for tinnitus" numerous times which involves you covering your ears and drumming the back of your head 40-50 times or so.

About the eighth or so time throughout the day I did this, I notice I began to feel pain inside my ears unlike anything I felt before. I thought maybe my ears had just been sensitive from everything else going on, but over the next few days I became increasingly intolerant to noise, where even the sound of a spoon clanking against a bowl was leaving me in agony for hours.

I tried to convince myself, there is no way that just tapping the back of your head so innocuously could cause these symptoms, but then I did some research and fell upon the "occlusion effect" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occlusion_effect), which is common when people use hearing aids or protection. This all began to make sense to me, that the loud sound inside my skull from the tapping couldn't escape through my ears, was amplified a considerable degree, and harmed my hearing from within.

I also began to notice this when wearing muffs, as originally my sound sensitivity was only on my left side, but through being obsessive and wearing muffs all the time when I'm out, it's expanded over to my right, which may have been through all the thumping going on internally whenever I walk around or something.

Basically I'm just asking if anyone has any idea, could this be enough to cause hyperacusis/worsen tinnitus? Before I did this I only had pressure and mild ringing in my ears, but this new pain is something else entirely...

Also yes, I know I'm an idiot. Such is life with overpowering paranoia through mental illness.

Here's a link describing the "cure" if you're unfamiliar: