Could this audiogram result explain my 3khz tinnitus? need advice

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Jan 30, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Eric N

Eric N Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Hi,

This is a 3 month follow up since I got tinnitus.

So I finally went to see a audiologist and got a proper audio-gram.

The results show a slight variation around 3Khz in both ears but still in normal range.

6rlky0.jpg

I also did an otoacoustic emissions test which showed the same result - at 3Khz the detected echos are weaker.

The audiologist can't tell if that is what caused the tinnitus but it seems like good evidence.

It's unfortunate that I don't have an audiogram from before the tinnitus to compare, but could this be a normal variation or is this hearing loss?

Doesn't noise usually cause a lost around 4Khz? I am not sure what to make of this.

I guess nothing can be done about this? If not, I am about ready to make peace with my tinnitus.

2. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Eric-
      Yes, you have very minor loss at 3KHz in both ears.

You can check if your tinnitus is 3KHz if you download the NCH Tone Generator. Set it on the sine wave function, then slide the frequency up until it matches your tinnitus. Like tuning a guitar.

When I got tinnitus, it was in one ear. I determined that it was 4kHz using the NCH Generator. I was amazed that my good ear could hear 4kHz, but my tinnitus ear couldn't. Then I compared this to my audiogram, which showed loss at 4kHz.

That's usually how tinnitus starts, due to hearing loss at a particular frequency.

3. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      I'd agree with Karl that this shows a small hearing loss, mainly at 3khz. A minor hearing loss is all it takes for T though.

You're right in that a typical noise-induced hearing loss tends to start at 4khz and frequencies above that. So, I dont know the answer to that one.

In any case, you are better off making peace with it, there's not really that much else one can do :(

4. Eric N

Eric N Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      do you think its the other way around? Could the tinnitus be masking the test sound? because on my last test I had - two weeks prior - I got 5db at 3khz right and 20db at 3khz left but it was on a different machine.
      But since the otoacoustic emissions test said there was a reduction at 3hkz so I will tend to believe this test is more accurate.

If my mild-moderate T was caused because of this slight hearing loss, I feel sorry for those who have 50+ db hearing loss, they have got to find a cure for this thing as almost everybody will have this kind of hearing loss with age if not from other factors.

5. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      If the test involved answering "Can you hear this?", it can be pretty subjective. One slip of that button and your off.

There's a test my audiologist did, where she put plugs in my ears and the computer made measurements. It confirmed the other test.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "otoacoustic emmissions" test. They say the outer hair cells (OHC) make sounds, which is what an otoacoustic emmission is. Some people hear otoacoustic emmissions from the OHC's, but that's different than tinnitus and can be treated differently.

6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
      The T can mask the tones I think, thats why they use a 'warble tone' its more detectable than a pure tone.
      I would put my faith in the OAE test.

Yes, there's whole generations of iPod people coming up that will get it. Its just not had enough research until fairly recently (about 10 years).

7. Eric N

Eric N Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
    8. J. Wing

J. Wing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      Karl,I'm very new here. I just downloaded the NCH Tone Generator yesterday. According to my last hearing test I was told I have high frequency loss at 8K in my tinnitus(right)ear. Does this sound right? So if I follow your directions(sine wave function)I can pin point my tinnitus number? Thanks!