Cracking Ears / Twitching a Muscle?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JurgenG, Nov 13, 2017.

1. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Yesterday I did something weird, I was cracking my ear, to get some relief. (I didn't blow air through it or anything.)
      I can do it without moving my jaw for instance. But I think I did it "too hard", I had a sharp pain in my ear for about a sec.

I am not sure if it's me eustachian tubes which I can control or if it's the Tensor Tympani which I can control, nor wich one hurted.

Now I can't stop but wondering if I did anything bad, anyone knows what I am talking about?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @JurgenG

Is this the same thing you mentioned on your profile page? If so I did suggest trying to forget about it but if you can't, It might be best to be seen at ENT.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael, this is indeed the same problem. I am afraid my hearing is less good in this ear, but it's almost impossible to tell.. My T did not change though.

I just did a "useless" ENT-visit, and it would probably be more than a week until I could get another, do you think a GP visit could help anything?

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @JurgenG

I understand how you feel. Because the ear is a delicate organ you really don't want to leave things as they are as you're obviously concerned about this. Whilst a lot of ENT doctors get criticised for their lack of knowledge about tinnitus and show a cavalier attitude towards the condition in many cases it is justified. I say this because the majority of ENT doctors are not tinnitus experts but are physicians. They know about the anatomy of the ear and can treat it medically or surgically. In this particular instance the best person for you to see is an ENT doctor as this is their field of expertise.

Please make an appointment to see one and explain what has happened and how you feel. You shouldn't have to ask but I believe a thorough examination of your ear and auditory system should take place. A full hearing test and MRI scan. This will put your mind at rest. By all means see your GP but he/she isn't an ENT professional in my opinion and therefore you should be referred to an ENT clinic.

This is something that needs to be looked at by a professional to give you a peace of mind.
      Take care
      Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So I've been to the GP yesterday, who said not to worry. But ofcourse they can only look at my eardrum and that's it.
      She did not give me any explanation why I had the pain or assured me it could not have damaged my hearing.

I have my TRT this thursday and will discuss it there..