Cracking Sound When I Swallow

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nick miles, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Nick miles

Nick miles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Morning all

Does anyone else get clicking in their ears when they swallow? I mean nearly every time. Ive had it for as long as i can remember but in 2004 in got to be so loud and has stayed that way. Also, when you do the vasalva maneuveor (sp), does it tak anyone else ages for the pressure to return back to normal, i mean the air youd just pushed in there, sometimes with me it will be clicking away as if the tubes are working but the pressure wont return to normal, occasionally itll stay like it overnight with me.

2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I have popping noises every time I swallow. I think it's normal for some people and not for others. If it cracks you know your Eustachian tubes are open anyway, but still could be some mucous in there. Or maybe inflammation? I'm still looking into that myself relating to hissing sounds.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick miles

Nick miles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Its strange because before my tinnitus worsened in 2004 it was really quiet when it happenen, like cliking a mouse, but now its really loud, doctor said i had nasal polyps a few years ago but i dont think that would be the cause of it, when ive done it and the air wont come back out my tinnitus spikes until it clears, like i said sometimes that can take a night

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine is really loud too. I never looked into nasal polyps, but will now.

5. Mike K
      Tolerant

Mike K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection?
      I am getting over a nasty sinus infection that caused eustachian tube disfunction. Both ears click when I swallow, but it's dominant in my left ear where the tinnitus was. I can also feel my left starting to return to normal. I know what you mean though, it sounds much louder and elongated than normal. There could be some inflammation in your E-tubes that are causing this.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick miles

Nick miles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I did think that Mike but for 12 years since it started? Ive tried explaining it to an ENT i saw but he looked at me like id done a poo on his wife, ive had the pressure test a few times in my ears before too but it came back normal, but it doesnt feel right and hasnt done for years, sometimes when im yawning i can feel my tubes opening and closing really rapidly and pulling on my eardrums

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick miles

Nick miles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Surely it would of been picked up on the tympanometry though? I could be wrong I'm not versed in this stuff

9. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some Dr.'s don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Regarding tinnitus that is.:)

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick miles

Nick miles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I fully agree, i went to the doctors last week as my tinnitus has crept up slightly, sometimes goes back down, and he sent me on my way with a sick note for ten days, i even told him i was getting at most 5 hours sleep a night, he didnt give me anything, then he phoned me yesterday, in fairness it was decent of him, but in the call all he said was there is nothing clinical we can do, and directed me to the british tinnitus association website, when i was in the surgery with him i told him the ENTs ive seen have only ever done basic tests and then sent me away, ive never had anything else tested besides hearing