Crazy Spike After Working Out (Push-Ups)

Discussion in 'Support' started by chaLLas, Jan 17, 2019.

1. chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      After 3 months, I found that I gained the strength to start working out again. I thought I should start with something simple after such a long break and did some push-ups.

After every set, when I stand up, I get this weird and really loud radio static noise which seems to be located in the back of my head. It goes quiet again after about one minute... but until now, it did not go away completely. I had intermittent, quiet radio static in my right ear for some time now, so I consider this a spike of that tone.

Did anyone experience something similar or knows what can be the cause of this? Does tinnitus take away sports from me now also? -_-

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A current theory on what's happening with tinnitus is that information from touch-sensing nerves which are innervated through the TMJ, crosses over into audio. (This includes many cranial nerves, as well as nerves from the upper back and neck). Straining, tweaking or injuring those muscles can therefore cause (generally short term) changes in tinnitus.

I would just start with a slightly more gentle workout routine, as well as making sure to do a lot of slow, careful stretching before and after. I've given myself pretty insane spikes in the past, by doing things like working with a laptop on my stomach and my neck at a 90 degree angle; none of it has ever lasted more than a couple weeks.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Hi @chaLLas ,

Activities that increase my blood flow, or cardiac rythm, affect my Tinnitus temporarily.

I think yours will settle down soon, sometimes the anxiety about getting a spikes makes it to stay longer.

The best for you,

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I get this, and it's usually when benching or shoulder pressing. Can happen during, but mostly spikes just after. Never lasts though. Wouldn't give up the sports, just accept it may temporarily spike

5. MarkLud

MarkLud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise/music/unknown
      Can't say I have a radio sound but I did absolutely have a life-changing spike/change in my tinnitus while lifting weights back in September. I was doing pull-ups and I got a high-pitched tinnitus spike up to like 1,000, part of my face went numb and I couldn't hear out of my left ear. The hearing came back later that night but the spike did not go down.

The spikes persisted any time I tried any light activity (even going for a quick walk down the street) for a couple of months. Knock on wood, I started working out again two weeks ago (so a little over three months later) and FINALLY the exercise does not spike it crazy high again and seems to actually be helping instead (for the first three years of my tinnitus before this spike exercise seemed to help). Obviously our issues are slightly different but I'd recommend taking it easy for a little while and seeing if those nerves can calm back down and then maybe getting back to lifting/working out later on. Good luck, I know it was pretty devastating for me at first.

6. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      I have the same experience after a workout. My ear starts making some new sounds and my normal tinnitus definitely increases in volume and develops a sharp edge around it, which definitely takes a few days to settle. The only type of exercise i seem to be able to do nowadays without giving me problems is cycling. I have to ask though are you also experiencing shoulder pain? Neck pain etc. ?