CT Scan Noise Level? Can Double Hearing Protection Be Used?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Johan_L, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am planning on getting a CT scan for reasons not related to hyperacusis or tinnitus. I know the noise level is much lower than an MRI. However, my hyperacusis is pretty severe. I can't stand the beeps from some loud PIN terminals at supermarkets even with double protection.

I've heard there are beeps from CT Scan... How frequent and how loud are they? Can double protection be used?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The CT Scan is super quiet. Sometimes thre are no beeps at all. With earplugs it is totally fine, maybe even without any earplugs.. it is quiet, dont worry.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Depends on the model of the scanner. They have a mechanical whir, and the tech may need to tell you when to hold your breath if scanning the chest area.

Ear muffs are a bad idea if scanning the head or neck as it will cause scatter if the xrays, and image will be compromised, or worthless. Ear plugs are fine if foam and non metallic.

I personally would not wear ear plugs for a CT scan, but you certainly can if you want. Double protection would be overkill as it is simply not that loud.