Custom Plugs — Anyone Have Ear Drum Touched While Impressions Were Made?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zinnia, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I'm trying not to be a worry wart, but what can I say a lot of crap keeps going sideways... string of bad luck besides getting tinnitus. So, I'm fearful.

Learned today that when the audiologist sticks in the foam piece (otoblock) it could potentially touch the eardrum (which would hurt like hell) and could cause soreness and who knows what else. I'm concerned this may happen, and of course, have the tinnitus worsen.

My audiologist says she tries to take deep impressions - and I want her to, to reduce occlusion.... but if it's risky I'm thinking I may pass on custom plugs.

Any experiences, good or bad, to share?

2. DefNFlaky
      Inspired

DefNFlaky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It was more of an mild irritation than pain if the audiologist is careful. The foam is actually very soft and doesn't hurt the eardrum while protecting it from the mold from ripping it out while pulling the mold out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Okay, I can deal with irritation and yeah that'd be bad if the mold material stuck to the eardrum!! See, it's stuff like that, like if the foam piece tilted and let the mold go in too far...

I'm guessing most people here have had positive experiences with getting custom molds made.

4. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      Mine was a bit uncomfortable as well and it felt noisy as they inserted a piece of gauze towards my eardrum. Although they look inside afterwards to make sure no residue is left inside.

5. NinPhan

NinPhan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alice in Chains concert / Noise Induced
      If you're going to wear them while teaching, your jaw is going to move a lot. Please make sure and mention this to the audiologist as they SHOULD do one of two things:

1) have you wear a bite plate so your mouth is slightly open when taking the mold - they should know exactly what you're talking about as all singers should be fitted like this

2) take both closed and open molds and the manufacturer will create a hybrid from the two

I unfortunately waited until I was outside the 3 month remold window before I realized that talking, swallowing (beer, at concerts), yawning (at concerts, cause I'm old), etc., all move the earplug outwards and it would be more snug had I got the molds taken with a bite plate to keep my jaw open slightly. It's a lot of money to spend, so take whatever steps you can to ensure you're going to be happy.

Aside from having to adjust my plugs every 20-30 mins with a gentle push back in to the fully snug position, they're one of the best things I've ever bought. I wish to hell I'd had a pair from 1993 onwards. :(

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Thanks so much for the good info. I'll suggest my mouth be open as I don't really want to have 2 molds made for each ear.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      So no one has written of any bad experiences and it seems people are happy with them overall. I'll try not to be a wuss and just do it.

Do you think the brand matters? I have a choice between Westone and Microsonic.

Do you find that your custom plugs do a good job of reducing occlusion? This is one of the main reasons why I'd be getting custom plugs.

Thanks for help and insight.

8. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      the brand will be the same. the filters will be from etymotic.

dont worry about the issues. but the risk is a pressure scenario in which they cant extract it without perforated eardrum.

This is VERY low risk. Much bigger risk to not have good earplugs.

9. DefNFlaky
      Inspired

DefNFlaky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They usually have a scope to look in to see the foam is inserted perfectly so there very little risk of the thick mold seeping onto you eardrum.