DailyMail Article: How Sticking an Electrode in Your Ears Eases Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubbyaman, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
    2. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Thank you for the share! ☺

Btw I'm really sick and tired of this "There is no cure but..." sentence. It is like everywhere when it comes to Tinnitus!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Poyraz Yup its very annoying that the world seems to become like the Twilight Zone when it comes to this. Only 3 plus months in huh? I'm sorry. What kind of noise do you experience?

4. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      So...what happened to it? The article is from 2010.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    6. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Dubbyaman
      Yeah I'm kind of new to this hell but apparently the demons seem to like me so much as not to let me go eh? My T frequency changes. I hear hissing and high pitched sound and sometimes I feel like I have cicadas over my head. How about your T?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Mine is in my left ear. It cycles between cicadas, dog whistles, loud high pitch noise i cant describe, high pitch and low pitch electrical shavers. Right ear has a few tones as well but very low. I need to put my finger in my ear to hear them. Ugh...hate it hate it hate it. I wish I could go back in time and super protect my ears all the time!!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Poyraz meant to tag your name in the previous post.

9. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      If you copy paste a member's linked name from the postbit, like I think you did above, they won't get an alert.

You need to use the @ syntax. Type @ and right after it the member's name.

Like this:

how-to-tag.gif

By default, quoting a member like I did you in this post also triggers an alert, so one or the other works...

10. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      From @Aaron123 citation of the Israeli study, published February 2015:

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:

1) Tinnitus loudness reported by visual analog scale (VAS) between 1 and 10, at baseline, before and after each treatment, and 1, 2, 3, and 4 weeks after the last treatment. 2) Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI) questionnaire at baseline and 4 weeks after treatment. 3) Basic audiometry and tinnitus specific tests such as minimum masking level, tinnitus loudness, and pitch.

RESULTS:
      No long-term adverse safety outcomes were noted in physical examination or audiologic evaluation. VAS levels decreased by ≥2 levels in 5 patients (50%) and returned to baseline 4 weeks after treatment. The VAS decrease was found significant (p = 0.048) in those patients. A statistically significant decrease in THI score was noted 4 weeks after treatment. Tinnitus specific tests at that time were unchanged from baseline.

CONCLUSION:
      Multiple sessions of electrostimulation to the promontory seem to be safe and may be beneficial for some tinnitus patients. Further clinical trials are warranted.

So, any further clinical trials anywhere?

"VAS levels decreased by ≥2 levels in 5 patients (50%) and returned to baseline 4 weeks after treatment." Are they saying the improvement is temporary in nature, that the tinnitus returned to previous baseline level 4 weeks after the final treatment? Also, these are patients with unilateral tinnitus. Maybe it's not helpful if the tinnitus is in the head rather than the ears. :(

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
    12. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I used to think the same about protecting my ears but then it seemed so strange to see 13 years olds in the forum who claim they never listen loud music but their T came out of blue one day. Mine could also been from benzo withdrawal. I don't know man. I just hate this waiting game.