Daughters First "Festival"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cher69, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      OMG - its like the longest weekend ever - my eldest 16 year old has gone on her way to her first 'music festival'

In the UK Thursday was GCSE ( 16 yr old exams results) day - and she has worked really hard and got some excellent result - v v v v proud Mum - the moment she opened and read her result has to be up there with watching her take her first steps and say 'mummy' for the first time - my heart bursted with pride !

Then I had to drop her off in a field with 70,000 other festival goers to camp out in a tent in the UK weather - which for those of you not from the UK is 'unpredictable' at the best of times - packed off with provisions of crisps, biscuits some apples........ yes she wanted apples and a loaf of bread ! A few beers and a sleeping bag, wellies shorts and a toilet roll just a few of the esentials.

Today I got a text ' having an awesome time' ......... tomorrow in the early hours I will be queued up for hours waiting my turn to collect her and bring my now slightly more mature, wordly wise little adult home - Im proud and sad - my girl is on the brink of adult hood - I hope Ive done a good job getting her ready - she makes my heart melt and I wish I could go back and re-live the past 16 years and I would do it all again exactly the same.

Being a Mum has been my greatest achievment - its been hard work, tiring worrying and no doubt it will continue to be so - but gosh looking at my beautiful daughter get her results the pride and joy in her face - then waving goodbye to her as she trotted across a field with her tent and wellies - well its been a huge turning point for us both - I now understand my girl is a young women and life and my relationship with her is changing - to the next stage.

Cher69 - feeling a little emotional and a little older !

xx

• Hug Hug x 8
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Cher,

Beautifully written, and it tugs at my heart, too! I have experienced that myself. I have two grown daughters, and I still remember the times they went away to summer band camp and Girl Scout camp for the first time. It wrenches at my heart to think back to those times, when they went away on their own for the first time ever!

You know you've done a good job of raising your daughter when you realize she has gone away from you for the first time, and she is doing well on her own!!

Well done, Mom!!

Hugs (and a few tears, too!),
      Karen :huganimation:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. TDCC
      Confused

TDCC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      since june 14 2014
      Wow! they grow up so fast i have my last child he is 17 and this is his last year in high school. He plays the Saxophone in marching band, we have many events to go but i don't want it to end. Glad you daughter is having a great weekend and congrats an her exelent grades. You must be a great mom and that is why she will always be great!!! :) Is hard letting our kids grow up is very emotional!! I understand completely. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @TDCC,

My daughter played the clarinet in marching band! All those football and band events are lots of fun, aren't they? I'm a long-time empty nester now, but I think back fondly on those days. Is this your child's senior year? How exciting!! Enjoy it to the hilt!!:)

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. TDCC
      Confused

TDCC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      since june 14 2014
      Karen

Yes, he is my last child , I have 3 altogether my oldest boy is 30 my middle girl is 29 and the youngest is 17 and 4 grandkids. They all live in TX. I plan to enjoyed every minute. They get to play at UCLA and at Disneyland they got invited this year I'm so excited for them. Thank you karen

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @TDCC ,

I have two daughters; one is 34, and other is almost 31. I have one grandchild, who is almost 3 years old.

That's great about your son's band getting to play at UCLA and Disneyland!! How exciting! I remember my daughter's band getting to play at Disneyworld. It was a fun experience for her.

Enjoy your son's senior year!!

Hugs,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I so appreciate your sharing this. @Cher69. I have no children. But understand how, when you have kids, you get to relive your life again... in a different way. I remember my first concert: Neil Diamond, 1970, downtown Kansas City auditorium. I was about 14. My mom dropped me and my girlfriends off. I wore my long fringed purple vest that I bought when I lived in San Francisco. Thought I was the coolest Mis Thang on the planet.

I was in Maine about a month ago, visiting a longtime friend. Her daughter, 15, was going to her first concert; the performer was a guy named Jonathan Edwards who her mom and I listened in our youth!

Sounds like you are a wonderful mom, there for everything but willing to let them fly. There is a verse in a song we often sing at my congregation: "Roots hold me close, wings set me free".

Hugs my dear one. I can just see your daughter setting off across the field in her wellies, quickly turning to smile and wave goodbye.

• Like Like x 4
    8. UserID
      Lucky

UserID Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/01/1972
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Artillery
      Like Mum, like daughter. You too are smart and it shows. You write well and you love deeply from the heart. What a terrific mother you have been, Cher. Incidentally, what are wellies?

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      image.jpg Waterproof footwear @UserID and thank you for a lovely reply ;)

• Like Like x 1