Deep Ear Fluttering — Stapedial Tendon Myoclonus — Is Tenotomy a Solution?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jack8092, Apr 19, 2022.

1. jack8092

jack8092 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      After an acoustic shock, I have a myriad of symptoms. Apart from fullness, I have constant vibration (like a butterfly flapping its wings.) deep in the ear that I can only feel if I put my head on the pillow or finger into the ear. I talked to Myriam Wescott, she mentioned TTTS, but since I don't have fluttering of the eardrum, I suspect rather Stapedial Tendon Myoclonus.

The vibrations are not the problem themselves, but they are likely the cause of my extreme fatigue and dizziness, that is why I'm considering tenotomy. There are two cases that had similar conditions, and tenotomy was not successful:

- Middle Ear Myoclonus — A Treatable Cause of Objective Tinnitus

And one case that was successful:

- Diagnosis of Stapedial Myoclonus Using Endoscopic Visualization

Has anyone here had a similar experience? Did tenotomy of stapedius muscle work for you?
      (Source)
      (Source)

2. Benjaminbb

Benjaminbb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely long term noise exposure, combined w pandemic stress
      Hey, this is very interesting.

Especially that video from the study. However, that example singer's stapedius only seemed to clench and release only as he was singing, but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be different forms of it.

Many of us have had a similar experience with a low hum/vibration but it's hard to distinguish if it's the same as you. When it's loud I'd genuinely classify it as a fast butterfly like you.

As a rough example, does it sound something like this video below but with a slightly more vibrational nature to? It could be lower or higher in frequency than this:

Your above theory about stapedius is one of the several theories as to the cause of a low hum and its unique symptoms, although your symptoms sound a little different along with the guy in the study.

I haven't seen any real scenarios where the stapedius was cut and stopped someone humming, although it generally works for TTTS and did work in two scenarios in that video you from the study you posted.

In case you haven't seen posts on low hum - I'll brush over some of the unique symptoms of low hum tinnitus and what leads many people to believe the stapedius is a possibility and that reinforces your questions:
      • Low hum is intermittent on/off
      • Fluctuates in volume dramatically daily
      • Can be stopped by any other low sound or by plugging the ear
      • Can be triggered by/resonate with/amplify distant bassy sounds.
      • Has long residual inhibition when exposed to a loudish bass sound for over an 1 hour
      Occasionally you find someone who has a constant hum that doesn't respond in any of the above ways, I'd usually assume that is more related to an actual permanent form of tinnitus as opposed to something mechanical but you never know. Also nobody seems to have dizziness like you, but the acoustic shock could have in theory caused a few different issues. What kind of shock was it?

Many people here haven't found a solution other than long residual inhibition, but have had it disappear for long periods of their life, which again is reminiscent of something mechanical as opposed to hearing loss induced tinnitus.

Hope that gives some more info. I will also be considering stapedius tenotomy if we can find more answers that confirm the cause.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jack8092

jack8092 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      Thank you for your elaborate answer.

I read your posts. You have a great point with the differentiation of rumbling from Tensor Tympani. The fluttering I hear is different from rumbling I get when I forcefully close my eyes.

With regard to your questions. My fluttering is constant, does not fluctuate, cannot be stopped by plugging the ear, and cannot be triggered by distant bassy sounds.

It is undoubtedly mechanical. I can feel the movement. I managed to record the spasms on the microphone:

I'm preparing myself for ganglion block in 6 weeks. Will let you know if it makes any difference.

• Like Like x 1
    4. NYCGuy
      Depressed

NYCGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck, Jaw or Stress, who knows.
      How are you doing these days?

5. annatee

annatee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear irrigation
      I would love an update. I have dizziness too! Slightly different but my thumping is in reaction to sound (so pure Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome). The dizziness is hell.

6. left_ear_loser

left_ear_loser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Poss Celiac
      I feel like this is what is happening to me too. Getting weekly bouts of dizziness and sickness :(