Definition of the Word "Pulsatile"?

Discussion in 'Support' started by layzell, Jul 24, 2017.

1. layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      What is the definition used for "pulsatile" when we discuss pulsatile tinnitus?

Sounds are usually very complex things, with many component frequencies.

A low frequency could be described as pulses.

There can also be two different frequencies present and that situation can cause new frequencies that are the difference between any two frequencies, when connected to a non linear unit of some kind such as, I suppose, a human ear.

And we can have slow pulses of sound in which each pulse consists of one or more higher frequencies.

My question refers to which part of this complex situation are we calling the pulsatile part? Even the higher frequencies can be described as pulses.

Therefore if the tinnitus is not pulsatile in nature do we refer to the higher frequencies within it as pulses and if not then in the quest for consistency, why not?

2. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Pulsatile is a physical condition where you hear your heartbeat in your ear...

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      An apparent synchronization between your tinnitus stimulus and your pulse (i.e. heartbeat). If the beats seem to match, then you probably have PT.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      Thank you Candy and GregCA. That confirms that I do not have pulsatile tinnitus. So in that case since I do have tinnitus is what I've got called somatic?