Dental Work (Including Drilling) & Tinnitus — Questions and Experiences

Discussion in 'Support' started by Petloy, Dec 24, 2012.

1. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Drilling isn't really a problem, usually it takes only a few minutes. Also pulling is a very bad idea because you will need replacement or else your teeth will start shifting in your mouth so either way you will need procedures to close those gaps and those won't be quieter than a regular filling. And I guess from the 1987 in your name that you are only 26/27.
      So please don't let her pull out the teeth that need a filling and just get those done. For the root canal I guess you can't save that tooth anymore which is sad...

2. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks seal, yes im 27 in 2 months time,maybe with earplugs and ear defenders it would be safe regarding the drilling noise for 3 fillings? I wasn't going to have those teeth removed, I was just not going to have the fillings.

Root canal for the abscessed tooth was a possible option, but the dentist said there is a chance it might not work?....I volunteered for the tooth pulled instead, not because of the pain more because of the drilling noise. Would root canal affect tinnitus?

3. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I wouldn't use the ear plugs, because they will make the noises worse for most people because of the bone conduction - only to go with the ear defenders would be my suggestion.I don't know if you had drillings done before but it takes only seconds to minutes to get it done. Trust me, it is safe...if you feel better that way ask the dentist to drill in squirts like 10 seconds on 10 seconds off. Actually as I said before it is more save than just let the cavity reach the nerve because then again you will have another infection which can definitely make tinnitus worse.you know, you can't just let those teeth sit without fillings because cavities grow bigger and bigger until they reach the nerve and once the nerve gets infected it tries to expand itself because of the swelling an infection causes but can't because the root canals are too small so the nerve dies. Bacteria then moves into the jaw which causes the lump you are having now ( called abscess) If you don't stop the infection there it will move further into the jaw, might cause sepsis and so on and so on... So to make a long story short, that's why you need to get the fillings done, there is no way you can leave the teeth just like that because you will cause a lot of damage that way and probably make your tinnitus even worse with time.
      For the root canal, I would have tried getting it done because it is always worth trying to safe a tooth. No implant or bridge can ever be as good as your own teeth and as I said before a gap is really not a good idea when it comes to teeth so basically for every gap you need replacement - which of course also involves dental work. There really is no way we can run from dental work that's why it probably is better to get it done in a proper way right away even if we might be scared a little.

BTW in a German tinnitus forum I read from a guy who had a root canal done after which his tinnitus got really really quiet, if you want to I can give you the link and you can read it with google translator. So I think it might even affect your tinnitus in a good way which makes sense since an infection is stopped/removed from the body.

• Informative Informative x 2
    4. Thanks you very much seal.

The things you says seems pretty logical.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Absolutelly get it fixed. As said here already, things can get a LOT WORSE if you don't. If you are REALLY scared about the operation, then consider doing the whole operation under sleep like in surgery. At least here in Finland several dentists offer this kind of a service.

6. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks seal, you sure know your stuff! Lol, you should be a dentist. :)

Interesting about earplugs increasing bone conduction noise, I only thought it sounded louder that way? But I will use a pair of ear muffs/defenders instead. With the fillings I might do it in different visits, that way it won't expose my ears to too much noise, and I will tell the dentist to do the drilling in 10 second bursts.

The root canal is the big one! I guess its just the same again but longer drilling? I didn't think about the possible consequences of having to fill the gap if extracted, I believe implants they first have to drill into your jaw! I'm just going for root canal, I just pray it doesnt make my tinnitus worse! Teeth can be such a pain in the arse! Lol.

I'll contact the dentist again and i'll keep you posted! :) thanks again.

7. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      @mick1987 does anywhere near you do air abrasion fillings? They don't use a drill, and it isn't nearly as loud.

8. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      If I was a dentist I would specialize on poor Tinnitus sufferers, because I for sure know their needs and fears :D
      actually back coupling ist the problem with ear plugs and dental procedures, I'm sorry if I can't explain everything very good, but I'm sometimes just lacking the vocabulary as english isn't my mother tongue.
      I would also suggest to do 3 appointments for the 3 fillings so that each one only takes about 15-30 minutes in total, I think that's a very good idea. What came to my mind is that you might also check out air abrasion or laser for the filling, there you will only need the drill in the end to file down the filling... so there really is almost no drilling involved. but again i think it's pretty expensive and I really don't think it's necessary for a simple filling.

I think drilling into the jaw for an implant isn't even very loud ( low speed drilling ) but those implants are sooo expensive and as I said your own tooth is just the best. So I would still go with the root canal.

• Like Like x 1
    9. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Demi, thanks for the suggestion, I never heard of such procedure! Sounds a lot less invasive, I will do some research, sounds pricey though!

Seal, your vocabulary is very good, the only German I know is "guten tag" I think that's right? Lol! :joyful:

Obviously the root canal is the priority first, if its even is successful! but i will try and save the tooth, thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I have these fears just going to the dentist to get my teeth cleanned... Has anyone got there teeth cleanned with no probems???!!!!

11. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      yes, me. I just don't let them use the ultrasonic cleaner because this one is dangerous, but getting your teeth manually cleaned is not even a bit loud and I have Hyperacusis so you can trust me when I say it's not loud.

12. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      yay for your German, that is correct and means "hello/good day"

• Like Like x 1
    13. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I have had laser twice on my teeth instead of drilling. No sound at all and I didn't even need sedation injections. It did hurt a bit though, but it was manageable. Maybe you should investigate if dentists use laser where you live? Laser probably isn't an option for root canal though...

• Like Like x 1
    14. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I had some tooth fixed with drilling over a month ago and I had zero problems. I did tell the dentist in advance and she seemed to lay off the drill every few seconds.

15. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @mick1987 couldn't you do the 3 fillings apart, such as one of month or so? Also regular dental visits might be beneficial in avoiding getting big work done:)

16. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi stina, yes I think I'm going to do the fillings a few weeks apart, give my ears a rest in between. :)

• Like Like x 1
    17. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, i wanted to ask if anyone who has had dental treatment (fillings, root canal), if you used earplugs?

I thought using earplugs would be a no brainer but apparently using earplugs/ear protection under the drill can cause the occlusion effect, (plug your ears then talk, your voice is amplified) I did a bit of reading and some advise against it because it makes the drilling vibration louder in the head, might mean more risk!?

I would be too scared to go without earplugs, even if the drilling is done with pauses, but now I'm worried like I say about the amplification of the noise in the head from the earplugs, arrhhh! I might just have the tooth pulled out instead. :(

18. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Could you possibly call your dentist and ask him if he ever had patients with T and that if they wore earplugs while getting things done? Some dentists could be knowledgable bout T cause of tmj issues some people have

19. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      @seal this is your department i think:D

20. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Stina I find dental stuff incredibly interesting, I guess in my next life I'm aiming for being a dentist for poor people with dental fears because of the Tinnitus and Hyperacusis :D

As I said, I myself don't use ear plugs, I go with headphones ( you could use ear defenders ).But I guess in you case I would first try it with ear plugs and then take them out try it without and then decide what feels better to you. Just tell the dentist about your problem and he will understand and give you the time to try out both ways.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    21. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks again seal, (in dentist's corner...lol :LOL:) I've just been doing too much reading, was surprised some advise against it because of the increased vibration in the skull. But I'm not brave enough to go without plugs so I'll just get on with it! Lol.

But now it won't be tomorrow! Because I changed the procedure from extraction to root canal they have phoned me up this morning to rearrange the appointment because it takes longer, I now have to wait until the 16th may! Luckily I'm in no discomfort so its not a problem.

22. kaitlyn
      Cloud9

kaitlyn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/14
      @mick1987 Hi mick. a couple weeks ago, I went to the dentist and got fillings without ear plugs. it seems that I am fine though. so don't stress about it too much. :)

• Like Like x 1
    23. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks kaitlyn, i do get a bit stressed out sometimes, especially with dentists and drills! im glad you had no problems. :)

24. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

Had a wisdom tooth pulled out, it was deeply stuck inside the jaw bone, so lots of thrilling to cut the tooth in many pieces. At first i had musician plugs with strongest filters and then after a minute i tried without and it was better without. Also i told dentist about my H and she did some pauses with thrilling. Next time i also have Nac, ALCAR, alpha- lipoic acid, magnesium, b complex, zinc picolinate, c vit with rose hips ready to help with noise toxicity.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Since were on the teeth subject... And this might sound stupid but i have a retainer that i should be wearing when i got my braces off and havent been wearing it but does anyone think if i do that this will effect my T?!!

26. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No i don't think a retainer would effect your tinnitus, the same as a brace wouldn't effect tinnitus.

27. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Hi guys.

So. I really really hate the dentist. After braces ten years ago, and pulling out all my wisdomstooths three years ago. I'm no big fan of dentists anymore.

Now I have two things to worry about. The dentist itself, and the drill maybe making my ears go crazy. I'm just really afraid that this will screw up my ears even more. Because lately it's been pretty good. Ear plugs is really no help since the sound from the drilling goes trough the skull.

I know I have to drill. I have a loose tooth, and I can almost pull it out myself. Since this is my tooth next to my front tooth, there is no way I'm going around without that. I don't want to look like a pirate, unless its Jack Sparrow. Had it not been for the metal-wire I have behind my teeth after braces. I would pull it out myself right now. It's so painful. But I can't since its stuck to the metal-wire.

So yeah, they have to drill a hole inside the bone, and screw a new tooth in. I know this because I was stupid enough to look at a video on YouTube on how they do it. Its a lot of drilling...

Any tips?

28. LondonGirl

LondonGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      You will be fine. Seriously. I had to go to the dentist and have major drilling shortly after onset of T; they will only drill for intervals of c. 15 seconds max (if Norwegian dentists are same as UK ones) and if it 'does your head in' then agree in advance that raising your hand means 'stop drilling for a while'.
      Truly I found it no problem at all. My tinnitus was unchanged afterwards. If you don't have hyperacusis, then I really don't think you will have a problem. Have a valium beforehand if you like, given that you hate the dentist at the best of times, it will most likely lessen your tinnitus and definitely calm you down. I don't believe in unnecessary suffering and if a little tablet chills you out then my opinion is bring it on (but just my opinion!)

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    29. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Earplugs -- good ones.

I know how you feel; when my T first hit me it sounded like a dental tool in the center of my head. I really like my dentist (great guy) but I don't like having dental work done.

30. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      sorry, i have to disagree here. we cant take pills for every little fear we have in life,we should better learn to overcome them and be stronger afterwards. cause the "little tablet" is not a piece of chocolate.