Dentist and Earwax Removal — Good Experiences

Discussion in 'Support' started by hans799, Nov 19, 2017.

1. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Due to selection bias, TT is often filled with bad experiences - tinnitus that got worse, or spiked, or terrible dentist visits, or damage done at the ENT etc.

Thought I'd counteract this a bit by sharing two good experiences I had lately.

1. I went to the ENT to have some earwax cleaned out. I researched the forum, even posted a thread, and based on that info I asked the ENT to perform the procedure manually (as opposed to syringing or microsuctioning). She was kind and understanding, and gently scraped the stuff out. Didn't even need eardrops as the stuff was soft.

No pain, only minor discomfort, and no change in T.

2. I also needed to get plaque removed from my teeth. Same procedure: forum research showed that ultrasonic scalers are risky so I asked for manual scraping. They were very understanding. I had to book 2 appointments instead of one because manual removal takes longer, but they actually gave me a discount so I pay only 40% more, not 100% more. The first appointment has already happened. It was just a quiet scraping sound, the loudest thing during the treatment was that saliva sucky thing dentists usually put in your mouth. It wasn't bad to start with, and because it doesn't cause bone conduction, earplugs would have been effective against it. (Didn't feel they were necessary.)

Clean teeth, no change in T.

3. Soon I will also need some teeth reconstruction which will involve drilling. I will follow guidance here, and have already found a very understanding young dentist who agreed to drill for 5 secs, then pause for 10. Plus I will take an extra helping of vitamins A C E, plus magnesium, plus NAC beforehand. I'm sure nothing bad will happen. I'll post back here afterwards.

With proper research, no need to fear the dentist or earwax remover, folks.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You may want to find out whether your procedure could be done using a dental laser. If so, you might want to find a dentist who owns a laser. The sound of dental laser was very bearable when I had that procedure.

Even when they use a laser, dentists need to use a real drill to shape the dental filling. But the drill time to shape the new filling is much shorter compared to the total drill time. My dentist forgot about the $300 I paid for the extra time, and would not stop after 5 seconds, but the drilling with an actual drill didn't take long, and I ended up being fine. By the way, the newer "electric-powered" drills are supposed to be quieter than the popular "air-powered" drills...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Manual descaling and manual wax removal. That is the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1