Dentist... laser vs ordinary?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LeQuack, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Regular or laser dentist?

1. The regular way is best

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Go with the laser option

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
tinnitus forum
    1. LeQuack
      Scared

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      So I have to get some dentistry work done that I've been putting off for far too long cause of my tinnitus. I've found some local dentist that also use lasers instead of the usual drill. :pompus:

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they quieter than regular drills? I don't mind the pain one bit, since tinnitus the usual pain is a blessing.

I know that it's very difficult with regular drills to reduce the noise since most of the noise is bone conducted and therefore ear plugs wouldn't do much good. You can try this with an electric toothbrush, mine actually sounds louder with the ear plugs! :bored:

After my recent spike that's still ongoing I just don't want to deal with any more spikes. So is the laser alternative a better solutions for me. I'm guessing even if the laser is equally as loud i can still be wearing earplugs since there is no bone conduction?

Thanks. I've also attached a poll just because it's fun. :)

2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I talked to somebody who had it done with laser and the problem is that as soon as the filling is done the dentist needs to file it down for a perfect bite and that can't be done with laser so he drills just like any other dentist would do.... basically you are paying more but still have the drilling/filing of the filling involved. I must say a regular drilling only takes a few minutes and I had it done a lot of times since developing T. It wasn't bad at all.

• Like Like x 1
    3. LeQuack
      Scared

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      That makes sense, yes. I'm not really worried about the price since it's only slightly more expensive, like 5-10% more so not an issue.

4. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I would for sure go with the laser, because the drilling for me now causes serious issues. in the past there was no issue, but my tinnitus has become so bad that drilling will send me over the top, and into a pine box very soon.