Dentist... Laser vs Ordinary?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LeQuack, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Regular or laser dentist?

1. The regular way is best

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Go with the laser option

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
    1. LeQuack
      Scared

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      So I have to get some dentistry work done that I've been putting off for far too long cause of my tinnitus. I've found some local dentist that also use lasers instead of the usual drill. :pompus:

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they quieter than regular drills? I don't mind the pain one bit, since tinnitus the usual pain is a blessing.

I know that it's very difficult with regular drills to reduce the noise since most of the noise is bone conducted and therefore ear plugs wouldn't do much good. You can try this with an electric toothbrush, mine actually sounds louder with the ear plugs! :bored:

After my recent spike that's still ongoing I just don't want to deal with any more spikes. So is the laser alternative a better solutions for me. I'm guessing even if the laser is equally as loud i can still be wearing earplugs since there is no bone conduction?

Thanks. I've also attached a poll just because it's fun. :)

2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I talked to somebody who had it done with laser and the problem is that as soon as the filling is done the dentist needs to file it down for a perfect bite and that can't be done with laser so he drills just like any other dentist would do.... basically you are paying more but still have the drilling/filing of the filling involved. I must say a regular drilling only takes a few minutes and I had it done a lot of times since developing T. It wasn't bad at all.

• Like Like x 1
    3. LeQuack
      Scared

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      That makes sense, yes. I'm not really worried about the price since it's only slightly more expensive, like 5-10% more so not an issue.

4. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I would for sure go with the laser, because the drilling for me now causes serious issues. in the past there was no issue, but my tinnitus has become so bad that drilling will send me over the top, and into a pine box very soon.

5. JimChicago

JimChicago Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Drilling
      Back to Top -- Any more T-sufferers first hand accounts of Laser dentistry? (cavities/fillings, crowns, root canals, etc.)?

Especially would like to learn:
      1) If the laser is quieter.
      2) Sound & loudness experienced if laser also used in place of local injections to numb the nerves:

http://wgntv.com/2015/07/30/alternative-to-the-dreaded-shrill-of-the-dentist-drill/
      "It’s a laser that first numbs the tooth.

Dr Errico: “We’ll use a little topical around the gum tissue. So what I tell people with this is you’re going to hear more of a buzz, kind of like a bumble bee. We have a frequency that will be on the tooth and we’ll hold it there for a minute to two minutes and that light energy at a certain frequency will penetrate through to the nerve and confuse it.”

Once the nerve signal to the brain is scrambled, a change in frequency allows Dr Errico to cut through the enamel."

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (sonic toothbrush touched ear...)
      I am surprised nobody had answered the last poster. You would think that many people would want to minimize the time one has to be exposed to the noise made by the drill...

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing
      I also would like to hear move about those with T. that receive laser instead of drill. There may be some posting about that if one places 'laser' into search. Things about going to the dentist that I later learnt the hard way are keeping a straight neck, closing your mouth when possible, have drilling five seconds on and ten seconds off. Noise deduction headphones will not give full protection, because sounds inside your mouth have ways to travel to your ears, but wear them anyways.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does the above include noise cancelling headphones like the ones sold by Bose?

9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing
      I have a pair of noise cancelling headphone, but not made by Bose. I will use them driving in heavy traffic or on the highway, but I try to limit the time that I need to use them. Consumers Reports recently did some ratings and I think that one of the BOSE types had top rating.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. LeQuack
      Scared

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      So noone here with any laser dentistry experience?

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If that's the case, it is very surprising.

12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing
      During my last visit to the dentist where I had an implant placed, I had little drilling. Most of the time a laser was used. I ended up with Somatic tinnitus and hyperacusis.

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Was this a temporary spike of your existing tinnitus?

14. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing
      It's going on five weeks now, steroids didn't help. Magnesium maybe made it worst about a hour after each use. I couldn't get accepted for HBO at my hospital. I should never have told them it was for tinnitus. A clinic told me that they had several cases where HBO didn't work and also had cases where it was worst at the 7 - 14 day mark.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know that many Americans come to Vancouver (Canada) to do their HBOT. It is cheaper here ($150 Canadian = $110 US) per session, and you can tell them that you are trying to do something about your tinnitus...

I am so sorry, Greg...

16. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I havent needed any dental work, but if the ultrasonic scaler is a sign of where things might go, having a pneumatic drill eating away at my tooth my T would explode. Laser all the way. Watch a few youtube videos.

17. lisa06110620

lisa06110620 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017/06
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Dental laser with an outstanding on softtissue.But still have the drilling/filing of the filling involved if you have an implant.
      I wish this can help you .

18. LeQuack
      Scared

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Can you tell us anything more?

19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry, what do you mean by "outstanding on soft tissue"?

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did you end up having a dental procedure using a laser? Was there any impact on your T?