Describe Your Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Emma, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Emma

Emma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Please answer the questions below. Check others' responses first so you can see how to format your answers.

1.) What ear(s) is your T in?

2.) Would you describe the sound as coming from the ear or do you find it is coming from inside your head (and where in the head- middle, side, back. etc.)?

3.) Is there only one sound, or multiple sounds? Are there different sounds in each ear?

4.) Do you feel a sensation in your ears or head in addition to hearing a sound?

5.) Can you describe the sound(s) - hissing, electric, static on a radio, "eeee' sound, chirping, heartbeat?

6.) How loud is the sound?

7.) Do you have hyperacusis?

8.) Do you have ear pain or headaches?

9.) What do you think caused the T?

I noticed a lot of new members have joined recently and in a lot of posts, it will be asked, how someone's tinnitus was caused or what it sounds like, maybe this can be a little repository for that type of info.

• Like Like x 2
    2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Right

2.) Would you describe the sound as coming from the ear or do you find it is coming from inside your head (and where in the head- middle, side, back. etc.)?
      Right side sometimes but mostly inside head

3.) Is there oonly one sound, or multiple sounds? Are there different sounds in each ear?
      Multiple sounds. Yes different sounds on different sides of my head if I plug my ears.

4.) Do you feel a sensation in your ears or head in addition to hearing a sound?
      no

5.) Can you describe the sound(s) - hissing, electric, static on a radio, "eeee' sound, chirping, heartbeat?
      electrical, hissing, static, humming

Sometimes 1/10, sometimes 7/10, fluctuates

I did for first 6 months, if I do now it is very mild at best

I did for first several months, not any more

anxiety, stress and possible mild hearing loss in very upper frequencies not detected on standard audiogram

3. Mahdi
      No Mood

Mahdi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      left

coming from the ear and left side of the head

3.) Is there oonly one sound, or multiple sounds? Are there different sounds in each ear?
      fluctuating and varying sounds

yes. it feels like sparkling

hissing, chirping, ringing, whistling and .....

it fluctuates between 5/10

yes

yes, but it's related to my allergic rhinitis which also aggravates my T

i lost my high frequencies serving the god-damned army

4. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Mostly right, but I hear it in the left, too - its just a little lower volume there.

Coming from inside my head.

3.) Is there only one sound, or multiple sounds? Are there different sounds in each ear?
      Mostly it is one high pitched sound with a tiny bit of warbling (almost like a bunch of cicadas recorded on tape with tape played back at 3 or 4 times normal speed). Occassionally, I get two tones: the very high pitched one I normally hear plus a another one at a much lower frequency. The lower pitched tone does not last very long - maybe 30 minutes at most - then goes a way for a few days.

I feel a very very tiny bit of vibration, and sometime my ears hurt deep within.

Electric, very fast chirping.

Varies. At its worst it seems like it is the volume of a high pressure steam leak - loud enough that it would be hard to hear someone talk if I were standing next to such a steam leak, but in reality it does not impair my ability to hear at all. I suspect if there were a way to actually measure the volume it would not measure as loud as a steam leak. Interestingly for me, if I put my fingers in my ears, the volume does not exceed the volume of the rumbling that I also hear when I do that, and that rumbling does not seem that loud. So, I think what I'm saying is, the volume I perceive is greater than reality.

Yes. Worse on somedays than others.

Yes, both.

I think either stress damaged my high frequency hearing, or my high frequency hearing was already damaged, and stress kicked my nervous system in this hyper sensitive state where I now hear what I formerly did not. I have no doubt that the source of tinnitus is overactive neurons. Whether the neurons become hyper active from just the hearing damage, or something else, is where the mystery is in my opinion. I know many people who have a measurable hearing loss, but no tinnitus, so it seems to me there has to be more to it than hearing loss.

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Both.

It comes from the ears, but sometimes I have the central T feeling.

Both ears have high-pitched ringing, but it also varies a bit. It has this tiny melody to it, hard to describe. It's not a smooth tone as such. Left ear has an additional clicking noise, which I only hear in quiet surrounding.

No.

eeee maybe? I suck at describing it.

I can hear it over tv/music, but most days it doesn't annoy me, not anymore. It's hard to say how loud it is. But compared to the fleeting tinnitus phenomenon I get weekly, a VERY LOUD high-pitched ringing for 10-30 seconds, mine is maybe half of that. Thank goodness.

No.

No.

Ear syringing.

6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      The right ear only.

It seems to be coming from the ear.

There are multiple sounds, and they come from the right ear only.

Yes. It feels like a swirling sort of motion in the right side of my head. Sometimes it feels and sounds like a windstorm in my head.

The sounds include hissing, high-pitched electrical ringing, and heartbeat sound. The heartbeat sound is more of a pounding drumbeat than a "whoosh".

On a scale of 1 to 10, it is usually about a 5 - 7 most days.

No.

No.

I already had mild tinnitus, plus some high-range hearing loss. Then, after I took a blood pressure drug, the ringing increased to a very loud ringing/hissing sound, and the pulsating started. It has been going on for almost 3 years now.

7. aurelientt

aurelientt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Usually just the right ear but upon waking in the morning it is usually global. It then subsides to just the right ear over the course of the day. This cycle repeats.

Right ear and side of the head usually. Mornings it seems to come from right in the middle of my head.

Most of the time multiple sounds with one dominant. This is particularly true when I wake up in the morning. The dominant sound is similar to a dentist drill.

No.

It is a high-pitched whine accompanied most of the time by a sound similar to either cicadas or static.

On a scale of 1 to 10, at its best a 3. Usually it starts the day at a 6 or 7 and then slowly subsides to a 4 or 5 until bedtime, the cycle then repeats.

Yes, but it has lessened.

No.

I am a long-time MP3 player user. Lots of loud music. So I usually point to that, but I am not entirely sure.

8. Rich

Rich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      few years i think
      I think both.

From my ears.

I think its one constant sound. Sometimes it sounds like the outside world is messing with what I think is a sound outside or my ears.

my ears feels popping when I swallow and irratating.

"eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

It's up there but not HORRIBLE I guess.

A what?

ear pain, yes.

meds and I think loud music.

9. Suresh
      Balanced

Suresh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      right ear only.

it is coming from the ear.

Mostly one sound with small humming

Yes

eeeeeeeeeeeee sound

it is 5/10 to 7/10

Don't know

No.

Earlier i got ear infection right side

10. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      Both

all

multiple sounds

No

hissing, electric, static ,eeee' sound

Mine goes up and down. 2 days very low 2-3 out of 10. 5 days anywhere from 8-10 out of a 10. Then the cycle will start over again. It had seemed that it to have got better.But then it went back up again. Had it over a year now.Sometimes I will go 3 to 4 days low. Than back up again.

I have had it been then it got better

No, Not for the most part.

Don't know.Tried to figure it out but can't

11. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      tinnitus appears about 3/4ths left ear 1/4th right

seems to come from the ear

multiple sounds an diferent left vs right

originally a "fullness like water in the ear canal , but thats long since gone

definitely the big EEEEEEEEEE, like around 8 or 9hz, mostly in left ear, a hisssss both ears, louder in left, in right ear only, a fax machine or morse code sound , and then occasional pure tones of various frequencies mostly above 4k

it varies every day and hour to hour within a range , at its worst the EEEE sound is as loud as somebody whistling within a foot of my ear, the hissss is like tuning between radio stations where the volume was ok when tuned into an average station, the fax-morse code is less than half as loud as the other sounds i "hear"

used to, way back, but now , no not really, but whn i hear a loud noise i react by protecting my ears, and i over react emotionally to loud noise

yep often my ear aches and i get head aches that move around the skull from top to sides to around the eyes

combination ototoxic meds and at the same time noise exposure

10.) Does your tinnitus drive you crazy?
      yes...but, its a short drive
      ok i made the last question up ;) but the answer is true !

12. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Both.

Ears mostly but sometimes full head also.

Multiple sounds in both ears.

I still sometimes feel the fullness sensation in the ear (actually this has stopped a lot since I started taking Clonazepam).

Electric, static, dentists drill, chirping

Its hard to say.

Yes.

Recently only I have some ear pain.

Noise exposure.

13. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Both, mainly right ear

2.) Would you describe the sound as coming from the ear or do you find it is coming from inside your head?
      Ears

A different pitched tone in each ear

Hard to describe... I can hear and feel a "roaring" sensation in my right ear if I do a certain motion

"eeee" sound

Most of the time 3/10. Sometimes 5/10. It fluctuates a lot again!

no

seldom headaches

- cipro antibiotic
      - upper neck lordosis
      - TMJ?

one of the above probably

14. Mike in PA

Mike in PA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      left, pulsatile but sometimes both which is not pulsatile

The ear with pulsatile but middle with both

3.) Is there only one sound, or multiple sound? Are there different sounds in each ear?
      Multiple, the pulsatile is one sound and when its both its different. I also get on occasion a 20 - 30 second high pitch ring that will fade occasionally...weird and scary sometimes. I wonder whats going on in my head?

With pulsatile no but more recently occasionally I'll get a stiff neck, back of head may hurt, ears feel full and clogged and both ears may be ringing constant but lower volume than the pulsatile.

Ugh...not sure...I guess a hissing electrical sound around 12,000 Hz

not very I don't notice it during the day but pulsatile can be loud especially when I lean my head or sleep on that side.

Yes, I have but I haven't noticed it in a while and it's not as sensitive.

Occasionally

The pulsatile started during a very bad sinus infection back in 2008. This other sound with neck/head and ear stuffiness started this past August, maybe due to to allergies...not surebut that comes and goes the pulsatile is always there. I'm a teacher in an old school that doesn't have the best behaved kids (dirty dusty and lots of yelling and noise, stress etc...) sometimes I wonder if that has contributed.

15. Lucy

Lucy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1998
      Right all the time and sometimes in the left.

From my ears and sounds at the back of my head sometimes on the right and then the noise will switch to the left.

Different sounds.

No.

Hissing, roaring, buzzing (which is the heartbeat).

The hissing and buzzing are not too loud the roaring is tremendously loud.

7.) Do you have hyperacusis.?
      No.

No.

Probably because I worked in an extremely noisy workplace for 20 years.

16. Sybs
      Inspired

Sybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Mostly left.

Mainly the ears but sometimes central back of head.

3.) Is there only one sound, or multiple sounds?
      Are there different sounds in each ear? Different sounds. Usually ringing or hissing in right ear but mainly hissing and whistling in left ear. Usually louder in left ear.

Sometimes I get pains in ears and sometimes pressure pain behind left ear on skull.

Hissing, ringing, high-pitched whistling. Sometimes ringing is intense like millions of crickets.

Some days it feels quite overwhelming but other days it is very low and easy to forget about.

Not sure till I see an ENT specialist.

Occasionally.

I really wish I knew! Doc thinks it could be Zoloft (but I've been on it for 3 years so not sure that it would come on now). She has suggested coming off it.

17. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Right

Ear

Multiple

No

sometimes eeee, hissing, electric

during the day I don't hear it mostly - only at night when I sleep

had it before, but much better

No

Severe TMJ, Stress

18. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      It started out in the right ear, but lately (2-3 weeks) it is in both ears.

That's a tricky question. First of all, I find it almost always difficult to determine whether the sound if in my ears or in my head. Secondly, I hear 2 sounds. The 'white noise' I hear is more from the centre backside of the head, while the hissing sound is more in the right ear.

Two sounds: white, static noise and a hiss. The hiss is not always there (but has been with me the last couple of days)

No, not really. When I drive my car, my right ear gives me the impression of being 'clogged', even on flat roads.

White, static noise and hissing.

Hahahaha. Beats me! What's your criteria? Too loud is probably the only answer that fits your question.

No

No

Spending too much time on tinnitus forums caused my tinnitus...
      No, sorry, bad joke. Excessive sound during a 6 hour DJ set caused it. Although I must say I take this blood pressure drug for over 2 years now and we all know these babies ain't good for ya ears.

19. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

Both, sometimes louder in right, it changes.

Definitely perceive the sound coming from the ears.

Can't really say, I am in my first 3 - 4 months. I have noticed fluctuation in pitch I think.

No

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee *KCHEEEEE* *silence* "Oh wait I cured!"... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Let's just say I forget about it mostly during the day when I am out and about.

Yes, no. Have it sometimes, recently has been much better, some days I do not experience at all.

No, although sometimes I experience a brief aching in the inner ear for about a second, but I reckon everyone experiences this, sufferer or not.

There are many possibilities; Hits to the head I have taken in past, nervous system traumatic noise exposure, slight hearing loss to the very high frequencies, loud sports and jobs.

20. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Tinnitus "started" from going to a rock concert years ago. My left ear rang really loudly for 3 days at a pitch around 4k probably. On the fourth day, I woke up and it was gone. Now it is a static/hiss sound from inside my head and my ears generally feel full.

Definitely inside the head now. I can remember years ago, before my tinnitus "started" being out hunting with my dad. I hadn't fired a shot that day, or any days before that and I can remember plugging my ears in the dead silence of the forest and hearing the tiniest static sound. I feel like what I have now is that amplified because of lack of input or something.

One sound. The high pitched static hissing sound. Occasionally I get a transient ringing in the lower tones that lasts for about 30 seconds but that goes away.

4.) Do you feel a sensation in your ears or head in addition to hearing a sound? Lately I have had my left ear have what I think is Tensor Tympani Syndrome... I can feel it twitch if someone talks loud or there's a clanging of a dish. I think that's probably due to my anxiety about sounds right now and will go away when my anxiety lessens.

Hissing/Static. Similar to an old CRT TV, the static sound that would be on when you turned it on before the sound kicked in.

I'm not really sure. It used to be a little quieter than it is now.

I guess if my left ear responding to some louder sounds is hyperacusis, then yes. But I expect that to diminish over time.

Ear pain rarely, headaches never.

Exposure to loud sounds.

21. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud), 11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      90% right, 10% left

From the ears. But sometimes I have feeling it is somewhere behind the head.

Multiple sounds.

Sometimes I feel slight pressure in ears, but very rarely.

It is high-pitched EEEE sound about 3,5 Khz, accompanied by sounds like electricity or hiss. I hear something like chirping electical waves or dentist drill sounds which comes randomly every few seconds too. Hard to describe.

Its 3/10 when its best. Usually is 5-7/10, I can hear it very often during the day, even in quite noisy environments like pubs or streets with car traffic. It is better in the morning, when the day subsides, volume increases.

Slight, but it is improving in time.

No.

I had mild tinnitus since 2013 probably noise induced. On 12/2012 I worsened it by noise exposure again. Than it exacerbated again in 2/2013 either by benzo withdrawal or my stress/anxiety/depression or maybe just spontaneously, not sure.

22. claygi

claygi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Both, but sounds louder in the left ear.

2.) Would you describe the sound as coming from the ear or do you find it is coming from inside your head (and where in the head- middle, side, back. etc.)? Inside head , mainly left side.

Both have the "after concert" buzzing sound. Then there is a hum in the left ear, with occasional Morse code is the right.

No

See number 3

Pretty loud as of a week ago. Like I have been at a concert , permanently.

7.) Do you have Hypercasus

No

No

Originally, loud music. Now, I'm not sure, because my Hearing is lessened in my left ear. My internist is sending me town audiologist for testing and then for a detailed MRI. He mentioned a possible acoustic nueroma. It's a nightmare.

23. Frayact

Frayact Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Both ears with an emphasis on my right.

Inside my head, but occasionally both ears.

I have a high-pitched hissing sound and a low-frequency hum.

Yes. The humming noise feels like a vibration or electric current and is very painful.

High-pitched hissing and the sound of a propeller plane flying around in my head.

Hissing is noticeable some of the time. Humming is very loud.

No.

Headaches - very rarely. Ear pain - probably a phantom pain from the humming.

Depression, anxiety.