Develop Tinnitus Days After Eardrum Injury?

Discussion in 'Support' started by StephanieLC, Feb 14, 2017.

1. StephanieLC

StephanieLC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I have an eardrum perforation due to injury. At first it mostly hurt and bled but about a day later the ringing started. Why wouldn't the ringing have started right away? It seems to cooincide with a feeling of fullness in the ear, and the bleeding has stopped.

Anyone here who had a perforated eardrum? Did you have tinnitus come on a day or two later? So strange to me. I was given the wrong ear drops in the ER and used them only once before I realized (neomycin) and I'm hoping the one dose wasn't enough to cause the tinnitus and that it's just a complication from the perforation.

Thanks!

2. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @StephanieLC
      My sister had a perforated ear drum after a flight.
      I knew she has tinnitus from it, so I just called her. She can't quite remember when, but she said the tinnitus definitely didn't start straight away.
      Fortunately, which I am very relieved about, the drum healed in about 2 months and the tinnitus is gone.
      Hope that has helped.
      Sam.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      StephanieLC

StephanieLC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Thank you for asking your sister! I really appreciate that!
      The thing now that is bothering me is that I can still hear the tinnitus when I plug my ears and it seems to be getting louder everyday. Did she notice those things as well?
      I'm worried that if it was just the eardrum rupture alone it wouldn't be getting worse or be heard when covered?

4. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @StephanieLC
      My sister wasn't stressed at all by the tinnitus (despite our family history - myself, youngest sister and dad all have tinnitus).
      The doctor told her it would go, and it did.
      She did not monitor it, was just aware of it, and she said it was loud enough to be heard over most every day sounds when it first came on. It gradually faded as her ear healed.

If you only hear the tinnitus when you plug your ears, well I think you are very lucky and it shouldn't be a problem for you.
      It most likely will go away, but I think you should stop stressing yourself out and listening for it, don't plug your ears to try and hear it.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      StephanieLC

StephanieLC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I can hear it when I don't cover my ears but worry that if it was from the eardrum alone that covering would stop it? As the air isn't coming through.

But you're right, I need to stop paying it so much attention! My husband keeps saying not to worry yet. Will try my best.

Thanks again for your response! I really appreciate it! So glad your sister's tinnitus has resolved. I hope yours isn't too troublesome and wish you the best!